Greg / MO 14-Sep-16
GhostBird 15-Sep-16
Bear Track 15-Sep-16
Brotsky 15-Sep-16
Ungie01201 15-Sep-16
20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Nichole and I left for beautiful Manitoba a week ago Sunday morning in pursuit of our dream to shoot a black bear with our bow. 4:30 am came early and we were up and on the road to God's country packed and loaded for bear!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The border crossing went smoothly and we entered Canada! Morale and spirits were high. Nichole and I would both have a tag in our pocket and we talked most of the 8 hour drive about bears. What we would shoot and what we were looking for in our hunt. Nichole decided any bear would do just fine. I wanted a pope and young bear and would hold out as long as I could for one I thought would make book.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We arrived at the motel we'd call home for the next 6 days and made ourselves at home. Shortly thereafter we met Josh and Brad from Outland Outfitting who would be our guides for the week. Josh is a Bowsite sponsor and he and Brad were outstanding. Tags were issued and we geared up for our first night of hunting and headed out to our bait for the evening.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
It didn't take long and we had our first bear on the bait. Nichole was up to bat and we analyzed the bear and let him get comfortable on the bait.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
It didn't take us long to realize this was a BIG bear. He was as tall as the 55 gallon barrel and it sure didn't look like I could stuff him in there!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Earlier that morning we had talked about what kind of bear we each wanted. That being said, this was a great bear but Nichole was up to bat first and the thought never crossed my mind to pick up my bow. Nichole sure grabbed hers though and prepared for the shot.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The bear was not being at all cooperative for her. She only shoots 40 pounds and we decided she would only take the perfect shot opportunity to insure a clean kill. The bear made himself comfortable.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Finally he presented an opportunity and she drew her bow. The moment was fleeting however as he quickly turned his rump to her and she let down.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
He laid around and ate for maybe 15 or 20 minutes while she waited patiently for her chance.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Apparently he had fattened himself up enough for one night and just like that he stood up and walked away. This pictured captured the experience perfectly for Nichole as her chance was lost.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We had a few more visitors to the bait that evening but no more bears and day 1 came to a close. We were amazed by seeing our first bear but disappointed no shot was offered.

20-Sep-15
Awesome!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The next night we headed back out to the baits. Nichole felt comfortable enough after seeing her first bear to sit alone and I felt confident in her ability to choose the right shot and handle herself without concern in the stand. Our guide Brad suggested that I sit the bait the bear had been on the night before and having Nichole sit another bait with a little closer shot. I decided against it, this was Nichole's bear and I wanted her to get a second chance at him. She had all the ranges dialed in for that bait as well so we discussed it and agreed she would take that bait and I would take the other. Nichole settled in and of course immediately started taking selfies of how scared she was of bears!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Little did Nichole know that as she was taking that selfie her bear had snuck into the bait! Brad had done an outstanding job of rearranging the barrels based on how the bear had approached the night before to force him into a better position for a shot.

20-Sep-15
I like where this is headed, cmon type faster!!!!! Lol

20-Sep-15
Nichole put her phone down slowly and quietly and picked up her bow. The bear was standing at the barrel at the perfect angle. She felt like he was in a great position and I quote her "I drew back and looked through my site to see what it looked like." Everything looked perfect based upon the 100's of videos she's watched so she settled her pin and sent the arrow on it's way.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I had not even gotten into the stand at my bait when Brad says "Who's phone # is xyz?" I said "That's Nichole's #." My thoughts instantly went into overdrive thinking something went wrong. Brad says "She shot a bear." I grab my phone out of my pocket and I had 7 messages from Nichole! Ha! We scampered back to the Ranger and hustled back to Nichole's bait. We immediately found blood and lots of it! After 40 yards of blood trail this is what I found.

20-Sep-15
Awesome!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
She had made a perfect shot on a quartered away bear. Her little rig almost got full penetration. The arrow was stopped in the hide on the far side and worked it's way back out as the bear did its death run. She had heard the death moan and knew the bear didn't go far. She had tears in her eyes and a smile as wide as the Canadian sky on her face. She had gotten her bear, and what a bear it was!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
She had taken the same bear we had watched and video taped the night before. He came in right away after we had left. She was over the moon with emotion at what she had accomplished. She had practiced hundreds of hours and and it was over in minutes. It was the proudest moment of her life after the birth of the kids. I think the only one more excited than her was me! I was overjoyed for her! Lots of hugs and picture taking ensued.

20-Sep-15
Congrats to Nichole ! What a nice bear.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I jumped in a few with her and she wanted pictures with Josh and Brad and everyone was all smiles! I still had a bear to shoot too! We wrapped up pictures and I hustled back to my bait for the rest of the evening while Nichole and the boys took care of her bear.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I settled in to my bait and thought about how much this meant to her and how much confidence she gained by taking her bear and my smile could not have been any bigger. I kept my eye on the bait and hoped my bear would show up soon.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I didn't have long to wait and a bear made its way to the bait.

20-Sep-15
awesome! Congrats Nichole!

20-Sep-15
Congrats guys. Love this thread. Hunt

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
As the bear approached the bait I decided he wasn't quite what I wanted. He was a very nice bear but I didn't think he'd be big enough to make pope and young minimum so I relaxed and enjoyed the show taking pictures and video galore.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
He put on quite a show. I think he may have a future in the circus if being a woods bear doesn't pan out for him!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Eventually he had pretty much cleaned up all the bait and he went on his way.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The end of day 2 involved lots of celebrating! Nichole will probably treat me like she treated that bear when she sees I posted this picture! Ha! There was no way she wasn't having the time of her life!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Day 3 came and I headed out alone. All the other hunters in camp had hung their tags on bears and I was the sole hold out. I wanted a big bear though and there were still some out there. The weather has changed over night and it was windy and spitting showers. The bears didn't seem to appreciate the weather much either and I had my first skunk of the trip.

20-Sep-15
This is great! I love it! God Bless

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The bears seemed intent on berries and oak nuts the next two days as I was skunked on both. The bears where there hitting the baits at night or hitting baits I wasn't on. We were losing the chess match. Brad was working his butt off trying to get a bear in front of me but unfortunately it wasn't playing out the way we wanted it to. Regardless of whether bears came in or not I was having the time of my life! Elk were bugling all around me each night and I enjoyed the beautiful Manitoba scenery at each turn. The thought of Nichole's smile and the bear she had taken were plenty to keep me going and enjoying every minute of my hunt!

20-Sep-15
Brotsky, great job with the story and pics!!!

Give Nichole a big Bowsite congratulations!!!

Mark

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The last day of the hunt arrived and I decided to bring Nichole out with me. I figured what better way to end a great hunt than getting to hunt 6 days, tagging a bear the last day and having her there to watch it! Morale and spirits were high as we prepared to head out.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We settled in on bait that had not been hunted previously and had a BIG bear on camera. He had been there pretty much every day, sometimes at night, sometimes in daylight. We figured it was our best chance so we decided to give it a go.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Nichole thought another selfie might do the trick. This ended up being one of my favorite pictures from the trip. There's an ugly old bear in the tree in the background!

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The elk were bugling again and this bait had to be in the prettiest spot in Manitoba as far as we were concerned. We waited patiently for my bear that was sure to come and enjoyed the sights and sounds of the north.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Unfortunately my story doesn't have a fairy tale ending. The bear didn't show in daylight. The call of berries and acorns were greater than the call of frosting, oats, and grease. We were the final hunters of the year so we helped pull down the stands and headed back to the truck. We were still in high spirits and laughing and joking all the way back.

20-Sep-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The next morning we loaded up the truck and headed back to the good old USA. We had the adventure of a lifetime in a Manitoba and we are already trying to find a way to make it back! The bears may have found a way to elude me but one thing I found plenty of was memories, and those will never fade away. I'll get my bear someday, until then I'll just smile and take the abuse from Nichole! Ha!

Thank you must be said to Josh and Brad at Outland. They were excellent guides and worked hard for us. There have a great area with lots of bears. Give them a shot of you're interested in hunting bears, they'll take good care of you!

20-Sep-15
Congrats to both of you!!!!! I was very involved in your first thread and it's great to hear the success story . You passed up on a beauty and Nichole smoked a gorgeous bear . as far as I'm concerned that's called success. Couldn't be happier for you guys!!!!!!!!

20-Sep-15

Here's some of the video I shot as well. You can hear us talking about the bear and see where she almost got a shot at the bear the first night.

20-Sep-15
Heck yeah!!!!!

21-Sep-15
Awesome story congrats!!!!!!! I look forward to Manitoba every spring,

21-Sep-15
Congratulations on a great hunt, the pics and story are great.

21-Sep-15
The was a good time! Congratulations!

21-Sep-15
Wow, what a terrific thread. Thanks for sharing. Congrats to both of you on a great hunt and experience. Really enjoyed reading through the posts and the picts.

22-Sep-15
thanks for sharing and congrates two the young lady again.

22-Sep-15
Congratulations & thanks for sharing....

>>>>-------->

22-Sep-15
Congrats on a great hunt! That had to be a blast.....

What a great way to spend quality time together!

So glad you shared this with us.

22-Sep-15
Great thread Brotsky. Tell your wife we said congratulations. As for you, it's tough to beat natural food sources. Thanks for sharing.

22-Sep-15
Great story! I gotta agree that 'selfie' tree portrait of the two of you is a very nice photo.

Great bear and grand grins.

Thanks for the share!

Nick

22-Sep-15
Congrats, awesome stuff. Can I ask what type of bow Nichole shoots and what broadhead .Looking at different broadheads for my daughter She shoots about 43 #s .Congrats again

22-Sep-15
Ridge Runner, Nichole shoots a Mission Craze, 24" draw, set at 40#. I have not chrono'd her bow but I would bet her bear she's under 200 fps. She shoots 100gr Slick Trick standards on 26" Easton FMJ 500's. Best of luck to your daughter this fall!

24-Sep-15
Thanks Brotsky My daughter also shoots a Mission.She has harvested 1 doe and 2 turkeys with her set up. May try your set up with the slick tricks though as she has unfortunately lost 2 deer.She really wants to get that 1st buck .She is very busy as a teacher and soccer coach but still puts her time in when she can Thanks again for giving me the info and congrats again. RR

24-Sep-15
So cool! Great post! C

31-Oct-15

bearbaiter's Link
hey brotsky, let us know the score of the skull when it gets scored, he has a decent nogin on him. i'm curious. it was great having you at camp. with outland outfitting

14-Sep-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I thought I would bring this back up on the anniversary of Nichole's big day just to put this ribbon on it. Nichole's bear scored exactly 18", just enough to make the book....and no, she still hasn't let me forget it!

14-Sep-16
Amazing! Congrats, that looked like a really fun trip...and incidentally if there was an award given to couple with the nicest teeth I'd vote for you two...amazing choppers the both of ya:) Of course you have lots to smile about too!

14-Sep-16
One of the best threads ever on the Bowsite. Congrats on the score!

14-Sep-16
Love stories like these. In fact, I got caught up in the story so quickly it wasn't until the picture of the skull that I realized the hunt was last year!

Great story and a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

14-Sep-16
Nothing like doing stuff with your partner and she got a book bear awesome.

14-Sep-16
What an experience! And great job describing the hunt!

15-Sep-16
Great adventure, congratulations to you both.

Best teeth?... maybe, but wash your hand before you touch that beautiful bleached bear skull.

15-Sep-16
Great story and anniversary. Brotsky did try to settle the score with us this year and did not quite beat her. But then, she is better looking. Ha!

Still well done my friend.

15-Sep-16
Thanks for the kind comments gentlemen!

Ron, I know you've been married long enough to know that you never one up the lady of the house! Besides, it just gives me an excuse to keep trying!

15-Sep-16
Great pics and story!!!!

• Sitka Gear