drycreek 23-May-16
Bowboy 23-May-16
Brotsky 24-May-16
Brotsky 28-May-16
02-Mar-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo

Brotsky's Link
No, not with Ron, with the bears! Some of you may have followed along on the hunt thread at the link above that Nichole and I took to Manitoba last fall. It was one of the best times of our lives and Nichole shot an awesome bear. However I did not bring home my bear and I've been torturing myself all winter with images and video of the bear that I let go. A picture of him is posted below, and there's more pictures including some video at my past link. I kept telling myself that I didn't need to go back this spring, I could wait a year or two to exact my revenge. Well who was I kidding, I couldn't wait to go bear hunting again! So come May 8 I'll be pointing the truck north on I-29 to hunt with Ron and Jeannine at Bear Track Outfitters...and this time I'm going to bring home a bear! Nichole unfortunately will not be able to join me with the kids still in school but she's still basking in the glow of her book bear from last fall (and rubbing it in daily I might add) so she's only a little disappointed. I will have another hunter coming north with me, a friend of my dad's who's going bear hunting as a retirement gift to himself. I'll update our preparations and our hunt on this thread as we progress through the next couple of months and through our hunt. If anyone has any advice or comments, please feel free to chime in!

02-Mar-16
Manitoba draws me back every spring I will be following!!!!!!!!! Taking my oldest boy this year

02-Mar-16
Headed to Manitoba myself this spring for my first bear hunt. Saying that I am excited is an understatement! Looking forward to following this thread on advice/preparations.

02-Mar-16
Extremely jealous! I'm excited to hear how you do. I have a feeling things will be a bit different for you this time. The only bit of advice I have is to not knock your string off of your bow the day before your hunt is suppose to start like I did last year! Otherwise, I think Ron will take care of you. :)

02-Mar-16

Brotsky's Link
Good luck to you Zebrakiller! Maybe we'll have to compare stories of this spring's hunts over a cold beverage at the Pope & Young Rendezvous in June if you're able to make it.

Good luck to you as well hoosierhunter. There was a thread I started last summer on tips and advice for newbie bear hunters, I posted the link above. Some good advice there!

02-Mar-16
Thank you sir! I will be sure to check that out.

02-Mar-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
My first bear at the bait....wasn't sure if it was a shooter or not and having too much fun just watching so I passed. Showed Ron the pics and video later that night and he said it was a good one.

02-Mar-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
So I sat there again the next night....

02-Mar-16

Bear Track's Link
Yes, Reflex did nock his string off his bow. A couple emails and I got the pro shop to open early. He did put in 6 hours driving back and forth, but I had him on an active bait by 4:00. Add to that, a happy ending.

02-Mar-16
Midwest, those baits on the trap line, produce pretty much weekly.

18-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
3 weeks from today I'll be waking up in beautiful Manitoba! Hopefully a bear will be waking up for the last time that same afternoon!

I've been shooting a lot over the past few months after picking up a new bow over the winter. I think I've been shooting better than I ever have. My local range was even kind enough to set up a 3D bear target this year for me! I christened the new rig during turkey season and now it's loaded for bear!

I'll try to keep this updated as the hunt nears and throughout our week at bear camp!

18-Apr-16
Good luck Brotsky !

18-Apr-16

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
awesome 4 weeks for us , good luck

18-Apr-16
Zebrakiller: The Wounded Warrior hunt with Ron is 5/16 to 5/20. Is that the week you are there?? That would be cool. Charlie

18-Apr-16
sorry Charlie Im should have been clear not hunting with Ron but In Manitoba , Been with the same outfitter 20 years

18-Apr-16
Good customer to have! I had to double check our books myself to see if you were there. You should change your handle to Bearkiller! Good luck this spring Zebra.

18-Apr-16
Brotsky,

That bow is made by a major competitor of ours on the aerospace side of their business but I wish you luck anyway! ;-)

18-Apr-16
Midwest, I don't know if that bow will fly but it sure shoots! I heard that the aerospace side as well as Xpedition were recently purchased by another company. Don't know any other details than that. I believe that is public knowledge. The buddy I'll be hunting with this spring is a close friend of an owner of Xpedition I believe. He obviously shoots one as well due to that fact, the serial number on his is 000004. Ha!

18-Apr-16
Cajun invasion is the week of June 15th!!! Save me a good one Brotsky!!!

18-Apr-16
Good luck..

18-Apr-16
Brotsky, I'll be in camp that same week. Looking forward to toasting your success.

19-Apr-16
That's great Jim! Look forward to meeting you and enjoying a few hunting stories over a cold beverage.

BPM, based upon your track record, I think the bears are the ones that are going to need saving!

This hunt came together pretty fast this spring, hard to believe it's only a couple weeks away. Just starting to hit me that I'll be bear hunting again soon!

19-Apr-16
Warm weather has hit Manitoba, snow is gone, put my ice fishing gear away today(ice is done as of yesterday) and the bears will be moving, bear season is a magical time!!!

19-Apr-16
snow ain't gone in grand rapids yet, southern manitoba weather yes snow is gone, but don't speak on behalf of manitoba, there still a fair bit of snow there in the bush, open areas it's melted, that's about it.

19-Apr-16
Shouldn't be long now Josh, looking like better weather for you guys for a couple weeks. I think you have a month and a half before your first hunters show up? Best of luck to you guys this spring!

19-Apr-16
yup end of may. i'm gettin baits out in a few days, should be a good year.

19-Apr-16
Ok bottom 1/3rd of Manitoba is snowless

19-Apr-16
Talked with the Wounded Warriors today heading to Bear Track and they are getting pretty darn excited! C

19-Apr-16
Good luck Brotsky, hope u kill a dandy.

20-Apr-16
Good luck to all you guys!

21-Apr-16
Look out bears! Good luck!

Mark

21-Apr-16
Don't jinks yourself thinking your going to get one. The trophy thoughts jump in and you may end up thinking there's a bigger one coming and may pass again. Good luck hope you get your bear.

21-Apr-16
I am getting a hankering for bear hunting again. I'll be following all of you guys this spring. Good luck!

21-Apr-16
LB, that is an interesting comment that Nichole and I had a conversation about last night on the way home from work actually. She asked me if was going to be "too picky" again on this trip. My response to her was the same as it was last fall on our way to Manitoba. The bear I passed up last year was a beautiful bear, but it wasn't what I had set the bar for on our trip and I have no regrets (even though I torture myself thinking about it!). I want a good bear, and I'm not afraid to eat my tag again. I have no illusions about the difficulty of killing a P&Y bear and I know they are not behind every tree. I also know that you will never kill one by shooting the first 150-200# bear that comes to the bait. I don't necessarily base the success of my hunts on whether or not I bring home an animal, it's based in the entire experience. Ideally I'll get a chance to hunt for a few days and will end up killing a good bear towards the end of the hunt after seeing a few animals. That is the perfect hunt for me. Now if Ron sets me on a bait and a 7'er comes in the first night I'm certainly not going to turn it down! Ha! If I hunt 5 nights and don't see a bear that does it for me but I see some animals and have a good time then it is a successful hunt in my book. I know I'm hunting with an outstanding outfitter and all around good guy who will work hard for me, will enjoy a beautiful camp with great food, and I know that I always hunt hard with no give up in me. In the end my anxiety level is 0. I'm excited to get up there, relax, hunt hard, and enjoy my holiday. Shooting a great bear would just be icing on the cake!

21-Apr-16
That's a great attitude to have Brotsky! You're right, you are with a great oufitter and you will have an incredible time. A good bear is just a bonus.

21-Apr-16
Good luck to all this spring. The Okie invasion will be the first week of June. Can't wait!

27-Apr-16
Good luck. Save one for me!!!!

27-Apr-16
Looking forward to following you on this hunt Brotsky!

27-Apr-16
Thanks guys! Definitely counting down the days now. Mrs. Brotsky is really starting to lay on the guilt that she doesn't get to go on this one! Ha! I quote "Just because someone shoots a bigger bear than you doesn't mean you should leave them home the next time." Ouch! It's all good natured ribbing at our house. She has already said that no matter how big of a bear you get it will always weigh at least one pound less than mine! After this hunt we've already decided to start saving up for a future bear hunt, only the next bear hunt will be girls only with me as a spectator. A half pint bear hunt thread will definitely be coming in a couple years!

27-Apr-16
Tic Toc, Tic Toc Brotsky. I'm running up to camp this week yet to check baits. with the weather, the bears should have the feed bag on here soon if not already. A friend of mine here has 2 baits cleaned out as of Sunday. Our bears are usually a week later, so other than being back to a normal spring, everything is normal and I'm excited to get our hunters in camp.

27-Apr-16
Sounds great Ron! Looks like the weather should hopefully start to straighten out a little next week with a nice warm up. That should get them on their feet and their bellies rumbling just in time!

02-May-16
Well boys, one week from today I'll be eating one of Jeannine's famous meals preparing to head to the stand! Did some final bow tweaking yesterday to insure everything was dialed in tight for broadhead flight and everything is performing beautifully. Started packing my gear and clothing, it's going to be a long week!

02-May-16
Brotsky, Are you going to be able keep us posted on a daily basis on your adventure?:)

Mark

02-May-16
Mark, I'll sure try if possible. I'm not sure if the cell service will be good enough to post or not while in camp. At the very least I'll do a full hunt recap when I get back along with pictures, etc.

02-May-16
"The guide will be thrilled if you do because then he'll know you'll be back up there with your wife very soon!"

I've already been guilted into committing to booking a hunt a couple years down the road for the ladies of the house. There's going to be a half pint bear hunt in a few years! I was thinking it might be a nice graduation present for her in 4 years to go off on a hunt with mom and dad before going off to college in the fall.

02-May-16
Man, I'm dreaming of eggs Benedict, fried walleye, and a big piece of pie! Say hello to Jeannine for me! Have fun and good luck.

02-May-16
Good thoughts Marty! Jeannine asked me to come shopping with her. Well over 4 figures later I'm hope to eat walleye. Prime rib, pork roasts, the works!

03-May-16
I think I've gained 5 pounds already after reading Jeannine's shopping list!

03-May-16
Don't forget the pan French toast or strawberry rhubarb desert!

03-May-16

kellyharris's embedded Photo
kellyharris's embedded Photo

03-May-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
In June 2013, these were growing all along the lake shore. Went great with the ribeyes!

03-May-16
I might be a little early for those Nick but it's been warm so who knows! I'd love to bring a bucket of Morels home for dinner!

03-May-16

Bear Track's embedded Photo
I checked on Sunday at one of my first spots to check in the spring and nothing yet. But we do pick a few morels for Steak Night. Oh, and her cream of morel soup! Do die for!

03-May-16
Nice haul Ron! I think I saw it's supposed to be very warm late part of the week, maybe that'll get a few popping for us.

03-May-16
Oh man,the cream of morel soup was awesome! I forgot about that.

03-May-16

03-May-16
I don't remember the soup, any chance the mushrooms will be around the first week of June?

04-May-16
I hope so... I'll be there the first week of June!!!

06-May-16
Well gentlemen, two days and a wake up and I'll be headed north! The weather looks great the first couple days in camp and for the last couple with the potential for a little rain in the middle. All my gear is packed and ready to roll. Nothing to do now but wait. We've got a busy weekend ahead, need to celebrate mother's day with Mrs Brotsky tomorrow, coach my son's flag football team in a double header in the morning, and maybe get half pint a turkey tomorrow afternoon if she wants to go. She's still debating between that and planting flowers with her grandmother. I'm pushing flowers because turkeys will always be there! The next update to the thread will be after I arrive in bear camp! Ron's installed Wi-Fi at camp so we'll have semi-live updates daily from beautiful Manitoba! If I can get my pics and video to work from my camera to my PC up there we'll have some great updates!

08-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Well we made it safely into camp! Jeannine's meals are certainly everything you guys said they were and more. Outstanding! I already need to start thinking about my diet plan for when I get back! Stay tuned tomorrow for our first day's trips to the baits.

08-May-16
Looking forward to the updates. Best wishes for a great hunt and enjoyable time.

08-May-16
Looking forward, good luck!!

09-May-16
Good luck... keep us posted.

09-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Ron and Pat made us lunch today! Well, they made someone lunch!

09-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The baits are set, almost all showed good activity. We'll enjoy some more of Jeannine's outstanding culinary expertise and be heading to the stand! Hopefully we'll have some bears tonight!

09-May-16
Awesome! Good luck and keep us updated!

09-May-16
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

10-May-16
No bears tonight on a beautiful night in Manitoba! We'll give er again tomorrow! Maybe the fact it was hot enough for me to be sun tanning on the trailer this afternoon had them moving after dark. Stay tuned!

10-May-16
I'm watching this with great anticipation. Good luck man and God Bless

10-May-16
Are you hunting the lake/river baits?

10-May-16
Nick, I'm on the trap line baits. There's some good bears hitting a couple of the baits, just need a better wind and we'll get one. The weather will be cooler and light rain the next couple days. I think that will be the ticket to putting bears on the ground. It was damn near 80 yesterday, I may have scarred Pat for life with the sight of my lily white legs when he came out of the bush! Ha!

10-May-16
That's where I hunted....loved it back in there.

10-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
My bait was hit again after I left last night. There was a nice cinnamon bear on it Sunday afternoon that we hunted last night. The trap line baits were hit pretty good, just holding out for a better wind to sit those. Weather cooled off with some light rain falling now, hopefully the weather change gets the feed bags on!

Nick, just a correction, I sat the pit bait last night and we baited trap line this morning. It is beautiful in there. I saw tracks of about every critter I could think of on the way to trap line 1. Lots of wolf tracks.

10-May-16
Good luck this evening!!!!!

10-May-16
Good luck!!

11-May-16
0 for 3 again tonight but we are zeroing in on them. Lots of awesome bears on camera including a couple beautiful cinnamon/chocolate bears. A couple of real giants hitting too. They're going to zig when we zig over the next couple days and then we'll have some skinning business for Ron and Pat!

11-May-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
The Wounded Warriors are coming next week and are watching this thread with great interest. Brotsky: You have some good karma coming your way!!

Many thanks to all the Bowsite guys including Brotsky for donating to their hunt. It has been 100% funded by Bowsite guys and Ron! Very proud of you all! C

11-May-16
Brotsky, good luck today might be the day!

11-May-16
Stick a big one!!!

12-May-16
We have a bear down! My dad's friend got us on the board tonight with his first bear. I'll have pictures in the morning. It was pouring rain tonight so I didn't get any of him. I did not see a bear tonight on the jug bait. The other bowsiter in camp with us saw a small bear and a wolf which made the trip for him! Two more days to get two more bears! The bears are hitting the baits and there's some real studs out there, just need the stars to align!

12-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Now that's a big bear!!!

12-May-16
Two days two bears, you got this. Thanks for the updates and good luck.

12-May-16
good luck the rest of trip head out to Manitoba early in morning

12-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Greg's bear from last night. Unfortunately the rain makes for a wet bear but he's been dreaming of this bear for 20 years! Congrats!

12-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
In case any of you guys are wondering, bears do $@!? In the woods.

12-May-16
I'll be headed out shortly to hunt the first bait on the trap line tonight. That bait's been hot and we've been waiting for a north wind to hunt it. The wind is finally out of the north today so we're going to give it a go. Hopefully tonight is the night!

12-May-16
Good luck, shoot straight.

12-May-16
I got a good feeling for tonight. Looking forward to hearing about it.

13-May-16
Great night tonight, everyone saw bear. I saw 3 on trap line. One was a very solid bear but unfortunately he circled down wind and wouldn't come to the bait. I had 2 small bear visit the bait as well that I chose to pass on. Hopefully tomorrow the bigger bear will commit to the bait, otherwise it'll be tag soup! Good thing I already know the recipe! Ha! Having a great time so far! Ron, Pat, and Jeannine are the best!

13-May-16
Good luck Brotsky! There's a lot of us out here rootin' for you!

13-May-16
Good luck tonight, Brotsky!

13-May-16
Thanks guys! The bear activity seems to be increasing daily as they regain their appetites after hibernation. Hopefully that portends of good things to come tonight! After another of Jeannine's amazing breakfasts we'll head out to reboot and come up with a plan for tonight. We need to move the barrel on trap line 1. It's gotten worn down around the tree and is holding water. The bears didn't seem to like that water around the barrel last night. Quick fix though and it will improve the site for future guests this spring for sure! Wish us luck, 2 bears to get today.

13-May-16
Best of luck Brotsky! Looking forward to seeing what happens tonight!

13-May-16
Good luck!!

13-May-16
Wish u the best tonight hope it's not snowing there like it is here that slows them up, hope u have a good outcome.

13-May-16
You got this!!!

13-May-16
Alexis, it is a winter wonderland here as well. The baits were still all hit so hopefully it clears up this afternoon and they still feed some tonight before dark. We'll see what the cameras tell us at lunch.

13-May-16

13-May-16
Keep us informed, good luck

13-May-16
Good luck, hope tonight is the night!!

13-May-16
Hoping you guys are skinning bears tonight!

14-May-16
Bear down! I ended up shooting a smaller bear here on my last day. I did see a great bear but he did the same thing as last night. He sat right behind the stand and refused to come to the bait. He's a smart bear! Very pleased with my first bear and I can't wait to come back! Pat was an awesome guide this week, he knows bears! Ron and Jeannine are two of the nicest, most genuine people I've had a chance to meet. Even without a bear this would have been an amazing trip! I'll be back in a couple years with my wife and maybe my daughter to enjoy another Manitoba adventure! If anyone is considering a Canadian bear hunt you absolutely need to hunt with Ron. Outstanding in every way!

14-May-16
I'm having trouble posting pics today, I think I'm taking too much of Ron's bandwidth! Ha! I'll post some more pics including kill pics when I get back to the states tomorrow night!

14-May-16
Congrats on your first . Invite is still there if you want to come give Half pint a chance. Hunt

14-May-16
Congrats on your bear!

14-May-16
well done

14-May-16
Congrats Brotsky!

14-May-16
Yeah! Congrats brother. God Bless

14-May-16
Congrats on the bear!!

14-May-16
Congrats Brotsky!

14-May-16
Yes sir!

14-May-16
Congrats! Sounds like a great hunt!

14-May-16
Great job Brotsky!

14-May-16
Good for you Brotsky! Congrats!

14-May-16
Congrats!!! Looking forward to seeing the pics

Any fishing up there?

14-May-16
Congrats!

14-May-16
Way to getter done! Congrats.

14-May-16
Great job. I kept coming to this thread to see how you would do. Good job.

14-May-16
Atta boy Brotsky! Congrats!!

Mark

14-May-16
Congratulations!

14-May-16
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

14-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Yesterday we woke up to this at Bear Track! A winter wonderland for sure and still snowing.

14-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
It ended with this! My bear! It's going to make a beautiful little rug for my daughter until she shoots her own. We already have a monster bear on the wall from my little lady, no need for 2! At least not until I head back north in a year or two! Ha!

14-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
When you shoot your bear at 7:00 and you have nothing to do until your guide comes back at 8:30, what do you do?

You nap of course! What else would you do after eating all of that amazing food all week!

14-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Well I've made it home safely and soundly to my family. I completed my mission to get a bear under my belt and I had an amazing time at Bear Track! While I took that nap all I could dream about was the next time an arrow in my quiver would look like this and a return trip to Manitoba!

15-May-16
looks like your goal was fulfilled and you got even. nice bear. well done for sure.

15-May-16
Congrats Brotsky! Nice to get one under your belt!

15-May-16
Nice bear Congrats, Good memories for sure.

15-May-16
Congrats on a nice bear Brotsky!!

15-May-16
Hey....at least you didn't have to deal with mosquitoes! Congrats again!

15-May-16
Congrats!!! Fun thread.

15-May-16
Brotsky, what bait did you get your bear at?

15-May-16
Skippy, trap line #1. That bait is really hot right now! Lots of bears on it! I should have waited, maybe the big boy would've came back before dark but my bear back straps are going to taste a lot better than tag soup!

15-May-16
Brotsky,

How far are the baits from the stands, doing some final shooting with the Grandson, would like to have a one pin set-up.?

15-May-16
BPM, one pin will be no problem. All baits are 12-20 yards from the stand. I went to most of the baits east of camp and a few west of camp and they are all set-up similarly. Stands are in good shape. Two items not too forget are a good cushion for your seat and a bow hanger for your bow, in addition to your safety gear of course. I bring a hanger for my pack as well as I like to hang it up in reach to get to a water bottle, snack, or camera quietly with minimal movement. You guys are going to have a blast up there!

15-May-16
Congrats Brotsky. I have taken that nap as well. Feels good doesn't it!!

15-May-16
Thanks for sharing the pictures Brotsky! Congrats again. I can't wait until I can get back up there again someday.

16-May-16
Congrats! Got any more pics? Thanks for posting

16-May-16
Thanks!! Are stands doubles or singles??

16-May-16
BPM, all the ones I saw were singles, some bigger than others but all singles. I do know that Ron has a bunch of portables he can hang next to the existing stands to make a double sit possible quite easily. I'm sure if you let him know ahead of time you want to sit double he could arrange it for you easily.

16-May-16
Very Nice. Congrats!

23-May-16
congrats

23-May-16
Awesome...Congrats.

23-May-16
Congrats Brotsky ! A little bear is much better than no bear. I would be glad to take that one for a first.

23-May-16
Very well done congrats!

24-May-16
Thanks for the well wishes gentlemen! Man, I already want to go bear hunting again. This addiction is going to get expensive over my lifetime I'm afraid! Ha!

28-May-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Just getting ready to exact my final revenge! Smoked bear brats for lunch in the camper!! Until next time....

• Sitka Gear