Hornseeker 31-Aug-09
impala 11-Sep-09
staggyd 11-Sep-09
impala 12-Sep-09
BOHUNTR 17-Sep-09
wannabelkhntr 21-Sep-09
StickFlicker 21-Sep-09
16-Aug-09
A buddy and I were just tossing this idea around... you guys ever use/hear of anyone using a doe decoy during the rut in NOvember and doing any good???

Ernie

17-Aug-09

Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
I've been doing it for a number of years with a Montana whitetail decoy that painted to look like a muley doe. Mixed results - I've had very little luck with it sitting there static, not moving. Much better luck when "showing" it over a ditch bank or a rise, then having it disappear, then reappear.

Last year I crawled behind it to set it out in an open funnel. A nice buck saw the movement from 300 yards away and marched right in to inspect the fake. He was about a 26" 3x3 and he marched around it at 15 yards. I passed on him but have had many similar situations when they saw the movement. I've sucked big bucks in form 1/4 mile away by flashing it and then making it disappear, then reappear again like a feeding doe.

Biggest problem seems to be when does see it pop up over a ditch bank. The alpha does will very often come quickly to see who the intruder is, and will get there to screw things up before the buck arrives. So I'm very careful about how/where/when I use it and always make sure I have an escape route if the does start to come first.

20-Aug-09
Cool... I think i might have to give it a go.... Thanks.

26-Aug-09

Paul @ the Fort's embedded Photo
ANd then there is the famed mule deer hat!

26-Aug-09

Pictured is a young 4pt mule deer buck that mounted my wt buck decoy, knocked it over, and then horned it in the side. When he got no reaction, he stomped off. I doubt if a mature mule deer buck would do the same as he would be busy with his own does.

I have tried a full size doe decoy but the mature does in the area responded by coming in down wind, and then bounding away.

There will always be the exception to the rule but my rule is to spot and stalk, ambushing, and maybe some rattling.

Decoying WT deer, now that is another story. Paul

26-Aug-09
I've had great success as well as my friends using doe decoys....you have to try it ...it does work ...no doubt !

27-Aug-09
The deer hat won't go away!

Sometimes I yam my own best decoy...

:^)

31-Aug-09
Sweet... well...if early season doesn't work for me, I'll be trying something during the rut for sure! 4 days and I'll be glassing the timberline....

11-Sep-09
what do you guys think of way pre rut decoy use, like right now? I have a bachlor group of deer paterened, but they feed into an open thistle patch and i cant get close enough for a shot. If I could just get them to feed into my direction I could ambush them.

I appreciate any thoughts!

11-Sep-09
Done it a few times....brings them from WAY across the field...try it , you have nothing to lose.

12-Sep-09
Thanks staggyd, I needed a little nudge to spend the money.

17-Sep-09
I have had very good luck using a bedded doe 3d target with a standing buck 3-d target near her. When a hot doe is being pursued hard they will often lay down and the buck will stand or lay with her. During the rut I often try this setup on a small hill coming up off a creek bottom that bucks cruise to check for does. If i see a buck working down the creek I grunt or bleat to get him to look and then the decoys do the rest. Sometimes they spot it on their own also. I often grunt or bleat every 10 minutes or so just in case a buck that I don't see is within earshot or just because I'm bored and like to call alot. If you use this setup and commit to it for the better part of a day on a travel corridor during the chase phase of the rut it will produce. And you like so many many others will say "That Bohuntr is one smart dude!"

21-Sep-09

wannabelkhntr's embedded Photo
wannabelkhntr's embedded Photo
we used the heads up decoy to sucker this buck in

21-Sep-09
Wannabe,

Maybe that guy fell for it because he has some whitetail blood in him!? Although his body looks pure muley, his antlers sure look like a whitetail!

• Sitka Gear