kellyharris 25-Sep-15
kellyharris 25-Sep-15
Charlie Rehor 26-Sep-15
kentuckbowhnter 01-Oct-15
Fuzzy 02-Oct-15
deerman406 02-Oct-15
DonVathome 02-Oct-15
12-Sep-09
Alright, this may sound totally whacked out, but here goes. You're hunting mulies for meat in late December, pass on the small buck, but are able to put the stalk a nice doe....good size, only to find she was prego when you field dress her. Has anyone ever heard of or thought about or done a fetus mulie mount? Seriously, I'm a complete newbie and pardon my ignorance, but I think this would be a unique and interesting mount. I know there are serious moral issues here, but what if this happened to you? One could either leave the fetus for the yoties or do it some sort of justice by the preservation of a mount. Please let me know what you think, I know this is a strange question.........just, what if?

12-Sep-09
I imagine that in December the fetus would be very small, probably smaller than your thumb, and not very much to mount, and not very pretty for most people to want to look at.

I have taken a Whitetail Doe on a kill permit in March with twin fawns, and even then they were less in size than a subway sandwich and their skin was still kinda translucent. Not anything I would want mounted, but maybe a biologist would want it in a jar of formaldehyde (sp).

Tony

12-Sep-09
I have deer fetuses in preservative in my classroom...I would not want to display them in my house!

I also have the kids dissect fetal pigs...the skin is so thin and weak that I am sure that sewing and mounting the skin would be an impossibility.

12-Sep-09
i thought the fetus came AFTER the mounting?

12-Sep-09
Thats pretty good Bou. Good to start a Saturday morning with a laugh!

12-Sep-09
I'm a pretty crusty old veteran but that right there is downright disgusting.

12-Sep-09
In a jar with preservative would be the best way I think. Formalin is used more than formaldehyde now due to health issues. Rubbing alcohol works in a pinch too.

I had a couple of whitetail and armadillo fetuses courtesy of a nephew in my freezer for awhile. Kept forgetting to take them to my classroom after I got the formalin in. Kinda got rid of them after the ice storm last Jan knocked out our power for 12 days and the wife discovered them. :)

12-Sep-09
What - Nobody has a fawn pickling in a 1-gallon jar??? …8^)))

I do...8^)

In all seriousness, mine came from a pregnant whitetail doe roadkilled in April a few years ago.

It barely fits inside the 1-gallon jar and I think I still have it’s twin in the back of the freezer somewhere…8^) (joking) Both were doe fawns.

Like others, got the idea from junior high science classes. Can remember sitting board in class for hours and staring at the preserved twin fawn specimens. Was fascinated by them at the time. They were hairless and white in color and both fits in one jar.

Later in life acquired a fully developed (hair, spots and all) road killed whiteatil fetus and preserved it in formaldehyde purchased from a drug store (I think that is where I got it).

Anyhow - either people were totally freaked out by it or were fascinated like myself. Trust me - they make a he!! of a conversation piece from both sides.

Eventually, lent it to a buddy and never got it back before moving from the area.

Then a few years ago on April 11th, co-worker buddy seen a doe get road killed while driving to work and I went and cut them out. As said, the smallest one barely fits inside a 1 gallon jar.

At that time couldn’t find any formaldehyde and was told it could no longer be purchased over the counter, so tried distilled alcohol. The alcohol worked ok for a while, but recently looked at it and the preservation is not doing so well.

Have no idea how formaldehyde is purchased now-a-days. Anyone have a source, or a source of the “Formalin” Salagi is speaking of???

Thanx

12-Sep-09
Zbone, did you inject the fetus with the alcohol (or Formalin) along with submersing it? It preserves better that way, so the inards don't spoil. I have a biologist friend that has many small animals and even coyote fetuses in jars. That's how he did it, but I don't remember what formula he used.

12-Sep-09
Brain - No, I did not, only submersed. I thought about trying to inject at the time, but wasn't sure about how to go about doing it.

Thanx for the info, and anyone else that can enlighten.

I moved residence about 8 months ago, and think I know where I stashed it. Will try and dig it out and take a photo and see if anyone here knows enough about the subject to advise if it can be salvaged.

12-Sep-09
If you have whitetail and armadillo fetuses, AND your nephew, in the freezer, ya might be a redneck!

;^)

Tony

12-Sep-09
Not my cup of tea. Maybe you could find someplace that would encase it in plastic like they do with scorpions or spiders and such.

12-Sep-09
how about freeze dried?

12-Sep-09
"If you have whitetail and armadillo fetuses, AND your nephew, in the freezer, ya might be a redneck! "

Good thing I don't teach English! Didn't word that the best did I?

zbone I get the formalin I use at school from a chemical supplier (usually Flinn Scientific). Don't know if it is available "over the counter" or not.

You do need to inject the alcohol if you use it, and be sure everything is completely submerged. I didn't do that with a snake and it got rather aromatic rather quickly!

12-Sep-09
P&Y have a category? This go WAY beyond "non-typical"...

12-Sep-09
Thanx for the info Salagi

12-Sep-09

Driver's embedded Photo
Driver's embedded Photo

13-Sep-09
L.A.,

You are one sick puppy, dude. LOL!!

GG

13-Sep-09
Mike, being a newbie you should be asking far more important questions on the subject of bowhunting... just a constructive suggestion to help you along.

13-Sep-09
I appreciate everyone's input. Yeah, I've got more important things to focus on than considering something like this, but I just found the thought utterly (no pun intended) interesting. FYI all, my first elk hunt this year was awesome!!!!! Was within 40 yards of a shooter cow but had no shot. Now I'm amped for mulies!!!! Can't wait, hopefully I'll have a shot at a buck and won't have to consider the "fetus mount". Thanks all for being good sports!!! I am now certified addicted to bow hunting...........ask my wife!!!!!!

Stay safe out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14-Sep-09
there was a taxidermist n Loveland ohio (spurlock) his son found a road kill cut out the fetus (2 fawns) and put them in a glass enclosed coffee table in a natural grass like setting.

Totally cool looking....

they were about the size of your hand.

14-Sep-09
I don't think a 1 month old muley fetus would look too cool in a glass case when you could most likely see every organ through the thin skin. Which brings up a question, how developed is a muley fetus in Dec. anyway?

09-Nov-09
Cool question, had to respond. I killed a doe in Kansas a few years back, and it had a fetus. Fit in the palm of my hand, and looked more like a sea-horse than a deer. It would make a heck of a conversation piece.

09-Nov-09
Like a sea-horse....perhaps ontogeny recapitualtes phylogeny after all!

10-Nov-09
now thats some funny sh-t. i dont care who ya are. rotflmao

10-Nov-09
I have a friend who has a collection of bugs in jars. He told me that he uses vodka to preserve them because it works better than isopropyl alcohol. I will have to ask him why that is but I have an inkling that it is due to the purity and concentration of the alcohol.

11-Nov-09
Rex

I like the worm in the bottom of mezcal....doesn't make it right, so what would it taste like?

JBone

12-Nov-09
whose Nephew?

25-Nov-09
"whose Nephew?"

Tooo Funny...8^)))

Hey Rex - Did you happen to get a chance to ask your friend why yet??? Thanx, and the reason I asked is because I happen to be going through some hunting gear the other day and ran across my pickled fawn. It is not in as bad a condition as I last thought it was and am sure it can be salvaged. The alcohol is a little cloudy and interestingly, the fawn seems to have shrunk, cause it now seems a whole lot smaller in the 1-gallon jar than when I tried to fit it inside. Seems some of the alcohol inside as evaporated also.

What I'd like to do now is break the jar open, rinse it off and repickle it in fresh alcohol, although don't know how hazardous too my health it would be messing with something like that. Any suggestions???

If I think about it, will try and take a picture and post it.

26-Nov-09
Okay, here's a photo I promised, but sorry for the poor cell phone quality, but I took several photos at different angles of the jar last night but this one was the only jpeg file small enough to send to a computer, likely due to the low light.

Anyhow, as said, I think it can be salvaged and re-jarred with fresh clear alcohol. It’s be pickling in that jar probably close to 10 years now.

26-Nov-09

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Oops, forgot the photo

26-Nov-09

howler's embedded Photo
howler's embedded Photo
look what i found the other day:

27-Nov-09
Zbone,

I emailed my friend and am including his response in this post. He preserves insects in the vodka but I would think that the same principles apply.

"Most isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) is 70% so it will make the insect specimens very brittle and it seems to really leach the color out of them. It also does weird things if you try to dilute it down to the proper concentration, so it just isn't the best choice.

Dr. Stephan Sommers, who used to be the curator of entomology for the ISU Museum told me that 35-40% alcohol works best, without making them so brittle that they might break inside the collection container. He recommended the vodka because most (all the cheap ones) are 80 proof, which equates to 40% alcohol so the concentration is good. He also told me that most vodkas are distilled using various tannins from plants and they tend to work well for color preservation. So basically, even the cheapest vodka is nearly perfect, right out of the bottle.

I found that after they have been preserved for a while, some color usually leaches out and tints the original vodka they were preserved in. What I do is give them about a year in the original vodka before I change it out with fresh; then they will be preserved in a crystal clear medium for years to come".

So there you go. I hope that helps.

27-Nov-09
Count your blessings, Pat, it could have been a thread on "Fetus Recipes".

27-Nov-09
Cool Rex - Thanx… Think I’ll just put on some surgical gloves, remove the jar lid, drain the alcohol, rinse around fresh distilled alcohol then re-fill with fresh.

I dread thinking about opening that jar lid though…8^)

After completing his mission someday, will post a new photo.

27-Nov-09
I think I saw something similar to this in The Twilight Zone

28-Nov-09
I can just see me preserving specimens in vodka at school. I've got students that would drink the vodka AND eat the specimen! lol

25-Sep-15
I just had to bring this to the top.

There other thread is recollecting on best quotes, etc.

this has to be the dumbest thread category winner.

hands down

25-Sep-15
Mule deer usually rut during December...? How could a doe already be carrying a fetus that is big enough to see?

Maybe they rut earlier in parts further north.

25-Sep-15
X10 Bou'

25-Sep-15
Wow, there may be no hope for our species.

25-Sep-15
I've heard fetus liver is tasty

25-Sep-15
A friend of mine works for the NYS Thruway on the road crew. They pick up dead deer among other things. H got a dead fawn that was unborn from a doe that got, ummm, dismembered on the road. He took the dead fawn, which was untouched, to a taxidermist & had it mounted. This fawn, however, was a full term one, likely in early may or thereabouts.

He also responded one day to a deer kill and found a doe with a dead fawn. There was another farther away. When he got to that one, he was shocked to find that it was still alive! He put it in his jacket and they took it to a deer rehabilitator. How's that for a rude introduction to the world?!

>>>>-------->

25-Sep-15
At least this is debate free, so that makes it ok I guess...lol

25-Sep-15
X100 Bou. WTH...

25-Sep-15
There was a taxidermist in Milford, Ohio Who would get May/June road kills and cut our fetus. He would make glass enclosed coffee tables and have them in bedded down situations. By May/June they were fully developed and looked just like a fawn bedded down.

25-Sep-15
dave spurlock?

25-Sep-15
Not Twilight Zone was the Outer Limits which I think we have reached

25-Sep-15
Boubound - Yes Sir!

I first saw those coffee tables when he moved into the blue building with archery shop off of BranchHill-Guinee Pike.

I asked him how he managed to get the fawns because they would not have spots by season?

That's when he told me about the road kills.

With the fawns so late in Gestation they looked normal and not under developed.

The coffee tables looked cool as hell.

25-Sep-15
It will be very very small.

I found the skeleton of a cow elk with s complete skeleton of the calf with its head in the pelvis. It took me awhile to figure out what the heck was going on. Coyotes never got to it.

25-Sep-15

kellyharris's embedded Photo

25-Sep-15

26-Sep-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
I use this picture to demonstrate the reality of human abortion to pro-abortion people. This fetus was aged by the QDMA chart at two months which with a 7 month gestation period equates to a 2.5 month human fetus. Is there any doubt what this is??

01-Oct-15
looks like a pre-booner

02-Oct-15
" So basically, even the cheapest vodka is nearly perfect, right out of the bottle. "

that's been my experience.

02-Oct-15
I have a friend who won the worlds(taxidermy) two times. One year his mount was a whitetail fawn he had found dead along the road. I believe that may of been around 1996. Shawn

02-Oct-15
I had the same dilema years ago, never did it, worried I would offend a neutral person thus turning them against us.

• Sitka Gear