jerseyjohn 30-Oct-13
huntinelk 30-Oct-13
steff 30-Oct-13
Nick Muche 30-Oct-13
'Ike' (Phone) 30-Oct-13
'Ike' (Phone) 30-Oct-13
Nick Muche 30-Oct-13
01-Nov-11
Heading to POW for blacktails on Nov 13. Have talked to biologist, have a couple spots picked out on the map to try, have a couple calls ready to go. Planning to start up higher around the snow line, if there is snow. Staying in Thornebay at one of the rental cabins, comes with a boat and 4x4. Anybody have any tips or tricks, or anything that I am missing? Anybody else going to be there at that time? Thanks, Gene

01-Nov-11
I wont be there until next spring chasing the blackies

01-Nov-11
The Deer hunt has been tough so far ... the weather just won't give us a break ...

Hurricane winds in the forecast today.

01-Nov-11
Only got to deer hunt a little up there one year and weather was crap..tops were fogged in and the deer had not moved down yet. Anyway, Steve Bethune at the game dept office in Craig told me that the deer there a pretty suceptible to rattling and calling..very curious. In all the gas stations and outdoor stores they sell these little deer whistles that the guides I met swear by. Not sure if those whistles are good all year or just early season. If the weather is mild there may be some bear still out, if so I would get a tag for one of those also. Make sure you go down to Craig one day and eat cause they have a couple of good little restaurants and a good pizza parlor with an ice cream counter. They also have a good outdoors store that would have almost anything you could possibly need. Good luck !!!!

01-Nov-11
please keep us posted on your hunt

01-Nov-11
please keep us posted on your hunt

01-Nov-11
You going to have more rain in november. Average in november is about 11 inches a week. The rut will be in full swing. That first week of nov.

04-Nov-11
Does anybody know if there is a taxidermist or meat processor near Thorne Bay? Thanks

11-Nov-11
Looks like it will be cooling down with some snow possible next week . Has anybody heard any rut activity reports from POW recently?

15-Nov-11

huntinelk's embedded Photo
First say of the trip, 5 more to go. 23 yard shot.

15-Nov-11
Big body little head. Very cool. Where is pow located?

15-Nov-11
nice ... I love hunting / tracking in the snow ...

16-Nov-11
Nice buck, the body looks huge. Lets hear the details.

16-Nov-11
I love them red horns from POW.

19-Nov-11

Here's one my buddy shot today.

19-Nov-11
Wow, awesome. Looks like you are hunting hard! Congrats! Charlie

20-Nov-11
Very nice keep em coming! Mike

20-Nov-11

Here is my second and last deer. Not the biggest, but I very happy to have gotten him, I was able to spot and stalk him in a clear cut, a mile from the nearest drivable road.

21-Nov-11
CONGRATS!!! I love blacktail, they are one of the most beautiful deer! Look how orange those anters are and dark foreheads! Awesome.

OFFHNTN

21-Nov-11
The meat is excellent too.

07-Aug-13
Nice work!

07-Aug-13
This season is looking very good ... mild winter / mild spring = healthy Deer.

07-Aug-13
good to hear just a few short days

08-Aug-13
I'll be there in three weeks, first time, any help would be appreciated. I have a forest service map, staying in Thorne Bay also. Should I be bringing any calls? or buy one that is mentioned above? Will it work early season? please PM if you care to share any information, it would be appreciated, thanks

30-Oct-13

POWMAK's embedded Photo
POWMAK's embedded Photo
I've already posted this in another spot but I shot this one on POW this last weekend. The rut has started and yes calls do work. Good luck to all.

30-Oct-13
Nice big buck! Congrats! JJ

30-Oct-13
Very nice buck. It is a trip I want to do again some day. Going to try the Aug hunt in 2015.

30-Oct-13
I'll be there a week from Sun. Can't wait!

30-Oct-13
Two days and a wake up!

30-Oct-13

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Been here the last five (5) days...What a beautiful place! Based out of Coffman Cove...Have called in several does, rattled in a small buck and finally saw a decent one today, about the size of the first buck above...

Rain and slick with me twisting a knee trying to get to him...May have to admit defeat, but what a great time...You'll be getting here at a great time Nick, good luck...Awesome buck Mark!

30-Oct-13

Gorgeous deer...

30-Oct-13
Ike,

Hey we are just getting settled into our new home, no Internet. Could you send me a PM so that I could ask you a few questions?

Thanks!

• Sitka Gear