trophyhilll 01-Oct-13
SteveB 01-Oct-13
GotBowAz 01-Oct-13
elkmtngear 01-Oct-13
writer 06-Oct-13
earlyriser 06-Oct-13
Fulldraw1972 06-Oct-13
04-Aug-13
I was just interested in what other archers would consider the best dates to ARCHERY hunt open country mule deer. And why do you prefer the dates you choose ?

My favorite has always been the earlier the better , since the deer seem to be a bit less wary (do to less hunting pressure). But a good friend of mine likes to hunt them during the rut in November while they cruse for does.

04-Aug-13
Thanksgiving while they are in the open chasing the girls.

04-Aug-13
November 10th-20th - best time to rattle, call and decoy before the get locked-in with does.

If I had to pick three days, it would be Nov 16-19th.

If you follow my live plains hunts on this muley forum, you can track the responsiveness of bucks to different tactics throughout November.

Earlier is tough, because they are almost always in bachelor groups scattered around, so unless you have them pegged at a waterhole or going to a food source, it's really tough to stalk a specific buck without getting busted.

04-Aug-13
During the rut. Love it!

05-Aug-13
thanks for the input .

Keeper coming

06-Aug-13
First three weeks of August. Love the velvet and the spot and stock.

01-Oct-13
January rut in NM for me. I get to see the bucks that early season bowhunters, muzzy hunters and rifle hunters don't get to see. now killing them is a different story but it sure is fun/exciting trying to sneak past those does.

01-Oct-13
In the prairie unit I am hunting in 2 weeks in Alberta, the season ends October 24th. So I am going as late as allowed so the bucks are as "broken up" from their bachelor groups as possible..

01-Oct-13
+1 throphyhill, in AZ for the same exact reasons.

GBA

01-Oct-13

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
Of course, for the best open country dates, you will require the best open country muley decoy!

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

06-Oct-13
In western Kansas, just after the last of the crops are cut and the bucks are wandering around the canyons and CRP, trying to find a new home.

Earlish November, like 5-12 have been good the past couple of years.

Elkmtn...good luck keeping that decoy on Planet Earth with some of the western Kansas winds we see in November! :-)

06-Oct-13
+2 trophyhill

06-Oct-13
The earlier the better I believe as far as filling a tag. But the rut sure is fun.

• Sitka Gear