Woods Walker 30-Sep-13
goelk 02-Oct-13
writer 06-Oct-13
goelk 07-Oct-13
goelk 07-Oct-13
goelk 07-Oct-13
goelk 07-Oct-13
29-Sep-13
I shot and hit a mule deer buck and could not find him. My arrow had blood but not much. All three feathers had blood but just on the edges and little blood on the shaft and broadhead. The blood trail was very weak. I only found 4 drops of blood and follow the tracks for over 3 miles and the deer never seem to stop and bleed. I quit after that. Maybe I should have look longer but no blood!I shot the deer with 10 minutes of light left. The weather was cool enough so I waited until the next morning. The drops were kinded dark so I am wondering if I hit a liver or muscles! the deer was slightly quartering to me uphill slightly. I remember the deer jump up before he ran off after the shot. This is the first animal I have ever lost and its driving me crazy.

29-Sep-13
Three miles. He's fine

29-Sep-13
You tracked him for THREE miles? Yep, he's fine!

29-Sep-13
Could have been a brisket hit. Did the arrow have tiny bits of muscley tissue on it?

29-Sep-13
He is alive and well

29-Sep-13
Still, if there were still dribbles of blood after 3 miles, the wound isn't closing up. I don't think a brisket hit would have continued dripping that long. As long as there's blood, I keep tracking. Dwight Schuh tells about a buddy who hit an elk IN THE HOOF that kept leaving drops of blood. The hunter followed it for several miles and finally found it dead- he'd cut a small artery behind the hoof and the bull eventually bled to death.

29-Sep-13
Not saying your incorrect but if you followed the track for three miles without blood in anything but sand, you have missed your calling. God Bless

29-Sep-13
that deer is fine, you did your job searching and put in an extrodinary effort!

29-Sep-13
woops- i should have read more carefully. if no blood, that ole boy is most likely just fine after 3 miles.

29-Sep-13
I was thinking the exact same thing as WV. I'm not trying to start anything. But I've been in the woods a lot. Especially mule deer country. How exactly did you follow him on his path for 3 miles? Without following blood? I am sorry but that seems very far fetched to me.

30-Sep-13
With the help of tracking ants and spiders, 3 miles is very possible.

30-Sep-13
Oh get real TBM.

30-Sep-13
How far was the deer when you shot?

What was the shot angle? (broadside, quartering away, quartering to...etc..)

Were you above him? Below? Level?

Where do you think you hit him exactly?

What kind of broadhead?

30-Sep-13
Where did you hit him?

30-Sep-13
Where did you hit him?

30-Sep-13
I am using a Magnus 1 125gr. footed shaft. My arrows are around 600gr. I got complete pass thru. The deer was 31 yds. My recurve is 60 pounds. The shot was slightly up and slightly quartering. I though the arrow hit right above the front leg. I am thinking I might have hit lower now. My GPS read three miles when I finally gave up. The trail was really easy to follow. they were the only tracks. there was one time I had to re- track to make sure. No hair on my arrow neither. I appreciated all your comments

30-Sep-13
I was on a hunt that was hosting a hunting show last year in northern CO. The other hunter shot a big mulie in the guts with a .308 and we trailed it for several miles following tiny drops of gut and blood. Lost the trail at ten at night. We found the buck the next morning a quarter mile from where we stopped the night before. So I wouldn't say for certain your deer made it.

30-Sep-13
Magnus? Well at least you don't have to wonder if the head opened right or not!

You said slightly quartering....quartering which way? To or from? And the arrow hit in front of the front leg or behind the front leg? And was the front leg back or forward at the time of the shot?

02-Oct-13
Slightly Quartering away and middle of the leg. the front leg was back. Well I learn a few things from this and I appreciated your comments.

06-Oct-13
Cheer up, you gave him a good search and he's probably fine from a glancing muscle hit.

Remember that where we think we hit an animal is often different from where we actually hit them.

Congrats on feeling bad...you have a conscience and care about the game you're hunting. That's a lot better than following the tracks for 100 yards, finding nothing, then looking for another deer...

07-Oct-13
thanks for all the comments and I will move on and learn from this! I had a great hunt.

07-Oct-13
thanks for all the comments and I will move on and learn from this! I had a great hunt.

07-Oct-13

07-Oct-13

• Sitka Gear