Double Drops 05-Oct-13
MuleyFever 06-Oct-13
kidwalker 12-Oct-13
David Alford 13-Oct-13
David Alford 13-Oct-13
GRoe 14-Oct-13
IdyllwildArcher 14-Oct-13
04-Oct-13
I'm no mule deer expert ,but love to hunt those big gray deer. I've taken 25+ bucks with an arrow, but still feel I'm missing something to consider my mule deer hunting efficient. Example, this year I hunted/ scouted about 20 days, and found a couple decent bucks to peruse. One of the best ones an upper 170 buck.I hunted this deer very hard for 11 days and finally put an arrow in him. But here is my deal, I was within shooting range 4 times to get a shot off at this deer, ( I must be doing something wrong). All of these situations seem to be the same, I get in range(closest 15yds, furthest 38yds), then waited(shortest 25 minutes, longest 3 1/2 hrs.) for the deer to stand . I prefer to be about 40yds away for the shot (close enough for an easy shot but far enough so I don't get busted), but many times I have to get closer than I like, do to vegetation or terrain to see a bucks rack. Sometimes I'm kneeling, sometimes standing, (whatever it takes to just barely see his rack, so I know where he's looking and when he's about to stand). Problem is ,when he stands, he spots me and takes off before a shot can be taken. So I'd love to get some opinions from some of the more experienced mule deer hunters on here as to what I'm doing wrong here, or what I can do to get a shot at these deer.

04-Oct-13
Let them stand, look around, poop, and relax. When they first stand it seems like deer look around, stay hidden for another 15 seconds or until he relaxes, starts to feed, etc., then draw while still hidden, rise up and let him have it! If you are getting that close that many time you are certainly doing a lot right!

04-Oct-13
Let them stand, look around, poop, and relax. When they first stand it seems like deer look around, stay hidden for another 15 seconds or until he relaxes, starts to feed, etc., then draw while still hidden, rise up and let him have it! If you are getting that close that many time you are certainly doing a lot right!

04-Oct-13
25 bucks? sounds like your the expert!

04-Oct-13
25 bucks? sounds like your the expert!

04-Oct-13
Just curious, why do you want to get close enough to see the tips of his antlers?

04-Oct-13
There are no mule deer experts on bs. I posted a thread looking for muley and elk experts and no one responded.

04-Oct-13
Roy Grace is who you should ping about this question. I haven't seen him on here for awhile, but you should shoot him a PM. He's killed more big muleys than anyone during that time of year.

I only know about how to hunt them during the rut.

And TBM is correct. Nobody on the BS knows anything about hunting muleys or elk. Now, if you wnat advice on shooting little birds, I know somebody who might be able to help.

05-Oct-13
Double Drops, The reason I like to get close enough to see the antler tips is : 1. I know exactly where the deer is (not think I know where he'll stand) 2. I also know which way he is looking , this will determine what I can and can't get away with. 3. I also like to range the tips of the antlers to know EXCACTLY what range to shoot for. 4. Lastly when the antlers dip and tilt forward he is preparing to stand (that is when I draw). 5. Without the antler tips as a reference, he may stand and all you can see is his head or top or the rack due to vegetation or terrain.

As you can see there are some pretty good reason as to why you need to see the antlers.

05-Oct-13
I see your logic, the reason I asked is maybe if your able to see the antler tips he also has a much better chance of busting you when he stands. I have always done spot on stalk on them and have had good success getting into shooting range and staging myself where there is some good potential shooting lanes, once he stands and starts going to another bed or feeds for a few. I like to have some decent cover between us and be patient and picky when I draw and shoot.

05-Oct-13
On the bucks I've stalked, I've blown it occasionally by not keeping some part of the buck in view. They reposition, move a little, and that can cost a shot when I get where I thought he was, and he's moved. Now I always try to keep the antler tips in sight.

Chuck Adams recommends the same thing.

05-Oct-13
Where were yall when I needed ya...I might try and get in touch with cousin Roy...just need an elk Grace killer and we would have a trio.

05-Oct-13
To each there own just saying what has worked well for me.

06-Oct-13
I would also say dont go for the shot right away. I have noticed when they stand they look around to make sure they are still alone. If you are at full draw I bet they see you and know you are out of place sometimes. If you let them look around and relax then draw when they are looking away you may have better luck. I think either way once you are in range you always have that chance of spooking them. You will get busted trying to draw too so maybe take it on a case by case basis. Look for the difference in when your way worked and did not work and see if you can find a reason for the fails. If you get in those positions again try the other way and see if it works better. Eithr way you are doing something right.

12-Oct-13
Thanks a ton for all the help guys. I'm looking forward to putting a few of these modifications in to my stalking arsenal. The recommendations to wait for the deer to settle down after standing is something I've really never considered, I'm ALWAYS at full draw when they stand. I'll let you know how it pans out.

13-Oct-13
Wear a mule deer hat, come to full draw and then get him to stand making a doe call with your vocal cords. He'll be looking right at you so maybe aim low heart in case he drops at the shot, but he should let you get the shot off.

13-Oct-13
Or just wait for him to stand on his own. The mule deer hat should keep him curious vs. bound off in the first instant.

14-Oct-13
Sounds like you have the stalking thing in close down to an art. I would recommend a decoy, but it can could also be counter-productive. Customers and myself have use the Heads Up Decoy as a means to stalk in closer or used as a distraction...however...when you are in tight deer do not like to be taken by surprise with a decoy.

I've got video of my brother and his buddy stalking to 15 yard of a smallish muley buck. He stood nicely, but was face on. The wind was blowing about 40mph and the hunter did not feel comfortable with the shot. The deer rose from his bed and fixed on the decoy for about 1 minute before the hunter drew down the bow and they allowed the deer to bounce off.

Good luck with your hunts...you will seal the deal at some point.

GR Heads Up Decoy

14-Oct-13
"I was within shooting range 4 times to get a shot off at this deer, ( I must be doing something wrong)."

Dwight Schuh says you cant expect to get a shot on more than a minority of mule deer stalks.

Everyone can always get better, but it sounds to me like you're doing just fine.

• Sitka Gear