>>--flinger--> 06-Dec-13
Forest bows 06-Dec-13
bowyer45 07-Dec-13
>>--flinger--> 07-Dec-13
Double Drops 07-Dec-13
>>--flinger--> 07-Dec-13
Adman 11-Dec-13
06-Dec-13
See some nice muleys when elk hunting & have a couple places where we know they bed up in timber - any ideas on how to hunt em? Bachelor groups & lots of eyes.

06-Dec-13
Water is key out west

07-Dec-13
Don't pressure them or you'll never see them again. Intercept them near where they bed but not too close. Patience and a good stand and natural funnels. Or spot and stalk. One stalk is all you will get. Patience! The thermals make it hard as well as the shifting mountain winds.

07-Dec-13
Stalking in timber? Amazing how many sticks a size 13 shoe can step on! Are they really moving much that time of year?

07-Dec-13
Even if they bed up in thick timber they will be out early to feed in openings. If terrain allows you to get to a good vantage point and glass early that would be a good start to get an idea of how they are going about their business. Second I would either set up in those places or possibly hit some trails going back to their bedding areas.

07-Dec-13
seems like out west critters don't use trails - unless theres a pinch point or something to force them

Only thing about hunting out west I don't like --oh yeah -the thin air and the steepness!!

11-Dec-13
I would agree with Double Drops, the deer are generally going to have separate bedding and feeding areas which means they are going to be moving in the mornings and evenings. And while there may not be distinct trails that the deer follow there will be general "crossing" areas. There is an area of timber where I hunt elk that also contains many deer, and while there are no pinch points or trails leading into the timber there is an area about a 1/4 mile wide where the deer will always cross. If the elk hunting is not going well and I want to focus on deer, I will just slowly spot and stalk that 1/4 mile stretch either in the morning or the evening and watch for the deer heading into or out of the timber. Also each area is different, but if the area of timber is large enough you will have a hard time pushing the deer out(you may push out individual deer if you pressure them too much), but the deer are in the timber because that's where they want to be so they will be back so I would not be afraid to spot and stalk.

• Sitka Gear