Amoebus 17-Dec-13
nightstalker 18-Dec-13
Ewok 21-Dec-13
red140 21-Dec-13
GregE 21-Dec-13
Africanbowhunter 24-Dec-13
IdyllwildArcher 25-Dec-13
14-Dec-13
To go hunting and left his arrows at home?

MY dumba$$

14-Dec-13
It takes a big man to admit when he's a dumba$$.

You're welcome in my camp anytime...;-)

14-Dec-13
I did the same thing this year.

14-Dec-13
Lol... I forgot my bow twice this year...

14-Dec-13
I'm glad I haven't done anything stupid like that.....................today!

14-Dec-13
Ike, This post is only funny cause it happened to somebody else. I drove clear to central Idaho and forgot my license and elk tag a few years back!!

Joe

14-Dec-13
I actually was in the climber ready to draw when I realized that my release was in my vehicle. Not likely to do that again.

14-Dec-13
I did that once bear hunting..... About 70 min as well... It also happened to be the only time that year the that I had a bear at the bait in daylight!!

14-Dec-13
Thanks for the laugh! Have not done that one yet! Have forgot my fanny pack a few times, almost as bad.

14-Dec-13
I have never left my bow or arrows but, I did one time pack for a rifle hunt a week in advance. You know the times when you "are ready" and don't need to check everything the day before you leave.

When I got to camp and unzipped the gun case there laid a beautiful 336 Marlin, in 35 Remington Caliber. Stunning it was and I was enjoying the attention from the hunting buddy's as they admired the "handy little gun". Panic hit when I was putting it in the rack and realized the Bullets were 2 hours away, at home. In the gun rack. And nobody in camp had appreciation for a moderate velocity, "handy little gun".

No stores open. No stores to buy bullets that weren't 2 hours away. I spent the next 2 days following hunting buddies around in the woods stalking behind them, urging them to shoot, driving laurel thickets etc... It sucked. Never did that again.

It hurts even worse talking about the time the bolt of a beautiful, 1963 Remington 700 BDL, chambered in 30/06 never found it's way back into the hard case after a cleaning the night before. Being a 130 miles from home, 4:30 AM, and a buddy who shot the same caliber with 2 boxes of shells, can't even help you then. Unbelievable.

On the moron meter: If it can be done, I've earned the title for the most consistent contributor. So, I have felt your pain. Goodness I hope to only have to talk about those two incidences. God Bless

14-Dec-13
Left my quiver at the camp after riding horse back for 1.5 hours before I realized what I did on a elk hunt in NM--Damnnn

14-Dec-13
A guide told me two hunters arrived in mountain camp via float plane ($800/head), opened their cases, and discovered trigger locks on their rifles - with the keys back in Whitehorse! DOH!!

14-Dec-13
Geez, I thought I was the only one... Happy Holidays

14-Dec-13
I was going to guess me, but you win this time!

DJ

14-Dec-13
par for the course. Went on a rifle hunt, had bullets everything I needed in my pack. Rode w buddy 1.5hrs, got there before daybreak, opened my case and it was my muzzleloader! damn Lucky for me he had an extra. So I was able to salvage the hunt w a shotgun.

Crazy_8- that's why I keep an extra in the bottom of my pack! Climbed up before and pulled hat out of pack and dropped my trigger, had to climb back down. Now I carry 2!

14-Dec-13
This could possibly be my the longest thread ever!

14-Dec-13
Drove several hours for a late season archery elk hunt in WA. Got to my hunting area and discovered I left my hunting clothing and boots at home. Had rubber yard shoes on with sweat pants and shirt.

Started climbing up the the hill through snow for a few hundred yards. Snowing. Told myself this is stupid and returned to my truck and drove home a ticked at myself.

14-Dec-13
I have never done that before and besides that it happened a long time ago!!! ;>)))

Ole thumper

14-Dec-13
I am sorta the opposite (and pray I stay that way:))and tend to carry extra everything.

last year I was busting my behind on a tough chukar hunt about an hour from home. I was following the dogs and realized there was an unusually large rectangular thing in the pocket of my sweatshirt.

it was the TV remote control. LOL.

why the heck I picked that up on my way out the door I will never know.

14-Dec-13
I forgot my hunting clothes and hunted in long johns this season.

14-Dec-13
It is stories like the above that really live a long time in ones mind...and longer in others minds if they witnessed it!

14-Dec-13
I bet you won't forget them again!

14-Dec-13
I left my parka at home on a 2 degree day, still tried hunting but oh my gosh I almost froze to death. Only lasted 1 hour.:).

14-Dec-13
I've left my bow numerous times. It is a problem. Once after a long hike (by eastern standards) out from the woods, I arrived at the truck and my buddy looks at me and says, "Randy, where is your bow?" Wanna know how to turn a 1 mile hike into a 3 mile hike? Leave your bow behind at the start of the first mile. That's not the only time it has happened.

The most embarrassing was at a the Rhinehart 100. I hung my bow up at a target while waiting for the rest of my group and then ambled off without it. Same friend says, "Randy, aren't you missing something?"

Dang. I walked back and a guy from the next group says, "Yeah, man, you might need that." Thanks buddy. Just give me my sign and be on my way.

14-Dec-13
We were unpacking on Canadian fly in bear trip when I couldn't find any my hunting clothes. Yep they were safe and sound in scent lock bags on my couch in Chicago where I left them. Hunted the whole week in a pair of borrowed camo sweats and tshirt. That sucked!!

15-Dec-13
Atta baby Ike...

15-Dec-13
2 piece quiver

15-Dec-13
Drove half a day to fish the famous Silver Creek in central Idaho. When I got there, I could see large trout rising like crazy. I hurriedly pulled my waders on, and my vest,, selected the perfect fly, and then I reached for my fly rod... Dammit.

15-Dec-13
It wasn't a complete wash. I went out anyways, just without my bow.

I've wanted to get over the next ridge from this spot for a while because there looked to be a nice stand of oaks on GE. Not only was it a huge stand of oaks, but there was a well deer print beaten path along a nice pinch where two steep walled ravines meet and level out with a flat area that goes up to cover. There was also a nice lip in the ravine that would elevate me above the trail a bit with a bush for cover with a 25 yard shot on the trail.

It's be a bear to get a deer out of there, but there were a lot of fresh tracks. I may hunt it next week. With arrows.

15-Dec-13
Also saw a red tail hawk nab a ground squirrel on the run, that was actually pretty cool.

15-Dec-13
I started to laugh at you, then I remembered all the stupid things like that I have done, then I laughed some more.

15-Dec-13
TV remote story got me good. Forget tree stand butt pad more often than not.

15-Dec-13
OK, let me try to whittle this down to a particular year,...no, make that week.

Drove 75 minutes to get to a field I'd wanted access too for a looong time for the last morning of prairie chicken season, to shoot the morning flight.

Got to where I wanted t to sit and noticed I had my wife's keys in my pocket...keys to her car, keys to her office....no choice but to go home.

Forgot camera(s) on a fishing trip one time...sucks when you're there on assignment as a photographer.

Had to stop at Walmart at least five or six times to buy clothing I've forgotten....

Ah, the joys of ADHD.

I like the remote story the best...and could so see it happening to me.

15-Dec-13
I've hiked in, gotten the climbing stand settled in, gone to nock an arrow, and---FIELD POINTS! Shot 3-D the day before and never replaced the broadheads!

15-Dec-13
that's nothing.......i once left my cell phone back at the house and had to go two hours without internet access. worst hunt of my life man.

15-Dec-13
LOL funny chit.

My wife's job: To ship my forgotten gear to Montana or Wyoming so it's there when I show up.

I've done the field points thing Mike.

I sat and thought... hmm, probably better than a Rage. Ouch! Just kidding man... don't want to sidetrack the heck right out of this thread. ;-)

15-Dec-13
Got off the float plane in Kodiak and discovered I had two RIGHT rubber boots! Luckily the guide had a spare lefty - in size 12 no less!

15-Dec-13
Yah, I learned to laugh at my stupid mistakes and forgetfulness, a long time ago, its easier than making excuses! And more honest.

15-Dec-13
"Why you big dummy!" - Fred G. Sanford

15-Dec-13
Man I have been there and guilty of all of it, it seems, and to think, gray hair will only make more of those stories appear...LOL

15-Dec-13
Several years back I get a call from an outfitter I had booked a WT hunt with in Kansas asking where I was? I told him I'd see him next Friday, He says, No your hunt starts tomorrow. Dam I hate it when I'm wrong. Needless to say, It's hard to find our groove when your hunt starts out like that!

15-Dec-13
Lost my bear tag the first day of camp in Manitoba. Felt like a complete dumb***!

15-Dec-13
Ya, I left my arrows attached to my bow at home a couple times too. Last night, the wife asks me to pick up a few things at the store, I go through the self checkout, and forgot half my bags at the store. Merry Christmas for someone...

15-Dec-13
I believe were all suffering a bit of CRSRB!! Iv forgotten My release and seat pad and flashlight.

15-Dec-13
Sitting in high grass doing a post hunt interview with friends after evening bear hunt you know picking off ticks. Etc. got picked up minus my bow. Never got it back either.

My favorite in our group is my buddy who drove over 2 of his guns 2 weeks in a row! Never lean your rifle against a tire and start driving.

15-Dec-13
I've honestly never forgotten anything important.

DON'T ask me how many times I have locked my keys in my car OR lost them.

One time I was a bit nervous being fairly remote in ID with my buddy and my keys were in the ignition.

Found a hanger and was able to hit power locks - took a while but happy nonetheless!

15-Dec-13
I've never gone hunting and forgotten anything important ... ever.

I did,however, come home from camp one weekend to get supplies and gas up the truck. I was all the way to the gas station about 3 miles from home and 80-something from camp when I realized my wallet was still in camp.

15-Dec-13
This thread reminds me of the hunter that was leaving for his annual Rifle Elk Hunting trip as he was finishing packing his gear in his truck he ask his wife to get his pajamas for him.

He was to be gone for two weeks in which time he spent time with the ladies and never went hunting at all!

When he returned home his wife asked if he got his elk and how was his trip?

He told her he didn't get a elk and said he never could find his pajamas and where did in the world did she put them?

She told him I put them in your gun case!!!

8>)))

Ole thumper

16-Dec-13
I think most of you guys would fit right in at any hunting camp of mine, except that between all of you and myself I'm not sure we'd remember the tent.

Once in ND, I stalked into position to intercept what is still the largest WT I've ever had in bow range as he was working a river bottom. I realized that I had forgotten my release in the truck.

During my first and to this point only elk hunt, I shot an elk the first morning of the first day. We got in late the night before and I didn't fully load my daypack figuring I'd be lucky to see even see an elk the first AM. I wound up gutting that elk with a borrowed knife and packing him in borrowed game bags.

I can't even list the number of things I have left lying on a hillside while glassing for mule deer. Hats, glasses, rangefinder, binoculars, gloves... are just a few. I've had several hikes back into a spot to retrieve forgotten items, and a few that I've just left lay there for next time.

16-Dec-13
I've forgotten my bow a couple times. Once drove 3 hours in the dark and forgot my gun.

Worst panic was when I killed a world class muley and couldn't find my tag, then started second guessing about whether I'd actually bought one that year. Queue major panic and anxiety attack.

Fortunately my wife was back at home and found my tag after a search of my office. She drove it two hours out to my deer camp.

16-Dec-13
I forgot to bring coffee to elk camp once. Only once tho

16-Dec-13
Been there done that!!

16-Dec-13
A 12 years ago or so I took my son on an elk hunt. He was ten, We got to campsite after 3and ½ hour drive and 3 miles down a nasty dirt road. We set up camp and I went to fix us something to eat. I left all the pots and pans in a box sitting on the kitchen floor. We had to eat beanie weinie’s that night and drive into the nearest Wal Mart after the morning hunt to buy pots and pans.

GBA

16-Dec-13
Early season, I had been patterning a buck for three straight nights. There were some beans that were planted late that were the last green groceries left in the area and this particular buck was visiting them nightly. I was using a lone wolf stand hanging and hunting in spots closer to his suspected bedding area each night in an attempt to get him to cross my path during legal shooting light. I arrived at my hunting grounds with plenty of time to prep my new tree. It was windy and I knew the minimal noise I would be making would be muffled by the strong winds which were suppsed to die off about sunset. The evening was shaping up perfectly. I climbed the newly prepped tree, settled in and looked for my release that was in my pocket. It wasn't there. I always wear my release on the way into a hunt. I had removed it when I was prepping the tree and placed it in my pocket, now it was gone. Luckily for me this isn't the first time I have misplaced my release so I have learned to always carry a backup in my pack. Ended up taking the target buck I had been patterning that evening at 20 yards. It could have been a very frustrating evening.

I did leave my boots at home one time and hunted in Novemeber in flip flops. That particular property has lots of locust and hedge trees, not an ideal area to be wearing flip flops.

16-Dec-13
On a weekend bowhunting trip we forgot our sandwich makins. So, we borrowed a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and a can of Wolf Brand Chili from our friends. Mixed together this stuff makes a dish we call "Red Top". 2 hours later it results in something called "red @$$". This malady always hits when you are in your tree-stand. Deer don't like the smell. Never forgot my sandwich makins ever again.

16-Dec-13
never forgot anything that stopped the hunt. I have however, forgotten shit tickets on a week long hunt that was an hours hike, and 2 hours 4x4 trip to the store. came home short a camo shirt and a pair of socks, and had a fairly roughed up bunghole.

16-Dec-13
1992: While hunting, set bow on Tonneau Cover and drove off (lost bow)

2012: While hunting, set bow on Tonneau Cover and drove off (lost bow)

I am starting to see a pattern here :(

16-Dec-13
Several years ago, I was on my way up to Northern Wisconsin with a buddy for a gun hunt. He was looking out the window of the truck at the wind driven snow and asking for reassurance that the sleeping bag he was borrowing from me would be adequate. He'd never snow camped before.

I suddenly realised that my tent was still leaning against a bookcase by my front door...about 300 miles behind us.

The most difficult part of that situation was convincing the wife that it wasn't intentional, providing an excuse to buy "yet another" tent. It didn't help when I told her that if it would've been intentional, I would've planned ahead and bought a much better and more expensive tent.

16-Dec-13
Few years back my son and i headed to Colorado to meet up with several guys from around KC. We got to the meeting place first and went inside the little store to buy or tags and all. The guy asked if we were from KC because he had a call from a wife that said her husband left his arrows..... Being the smart ars I can be.... I made a sign and had it displayed when they arrived. 30 inch ACC ARROWS FOR SALE $100 EACH. You should have seen his face when I told him! Priceless! Luckily they had passed a archery shop a about 30 minutes back and he found some to buy. Oh ya, ten of us killed two bulls and four bears in the ten day self hunt!

16-Dec-13
Back when I was about 16 or so, opening morning deer season, grabbed my box of 30-06 shells only to find out I had brought a box of spent casings. Wondered why they were so light when I picked them up but in my excitement never checked until I was parked and ready to head into the woods.

Just a couple of years ago, drove half hour to a 3-D shoot without my arrows. Had a good laugh with the range boss and he said that happens at least once a day during the shoots.

16-Dec-13
we gotta get this coupled with the North vs. South (War of Northern Aggression) blood trail challenge to see who takes DA of the year.

I left my bow on the ground beside my truck one day after the hunt, 20' from a paved road. It dawned on me 3 hours later when I was sitting in my office. Fortunately it was still there.

16-Dec-13
Late to leave for a hunt, about tore our house apart trying to find my keys, and kept asking my wife if she'd seen them...

...eventually she tired of it, walked over and yanked the key ring from between my teeth...where I'd placed them to free both hands for something.

I could go on, and on, and on,

the joys of being ADHD!

16-Dec-13
You win the thread writer!

I'm pretty bad with stuff like that too. My wife has pointed out to me a few times that the drink or coffee I was looking for was in my hand.

I locked my keys in my car twice in the same day last year.

16-Dec-13
Idyll, that sucks

My list:

field points, no release, no flashlight (that made for several hours of dummy), left wallet at camp (most recent), locked keys in truck, ran over two guns (twice now)

the only good thing is they happened a couple years apart

17-Dec-13
My dad went on a week-long backpacking trip with a friend who was also our family dentist. Day 1 my dad realizes he forgot to bring any TP. The dentist says "Too bad, I might only have enough for myself, can't possibly share." Night 1 the dentist realizes that he forgot his TOOTHPASTE, uh-oh. My dad said "How convenient, I have some, but it will cost ya", and got some TP after all...

17-Dec-13
Idyllwildarcher, you have a lot of support here my brother!

17-Dec-13
Forgot release in the truck - twice. You can shoot with fingers but it won't hit in the same spot.

Drew a moose tag, hired a packer, 6 - 8 hour pack in. 1st morning, get dressed - almost. Where the hell are my jockey shorts. Ten days - one pair. Oh well what the hell?? Who's gonna know?

Till I came back out anyway. Memo to self, wash clothes before leaving camp.

DDD

17-Dec-13
I followed behind three bowhunters flashing my lights and blowing my horn at them. They refused to pull over or stop and kept flipping me the middle finger. After about three miles they finally stopped, jumped out and approached my truck. It was then that I informed them that there was a bow laying on the roof of their SUV.

17-Dec-13
Sure glad I'm perfect.........

17-Dec-13
I drove 8 hours up to canada for a hunt and had my wife's passport instead of mine.

One year I drove 3 hours to hunt rifle deer and realized I was a week early

17-Dec-13
That was really stupid - glad you make some lemonade out of that lemon - 8^)

I drove 200 miles for (suspended) lake trout fishing and forgot all 3 of the fish finders - the other 2 guys weren't excited about that.

And we had a fellow hunter forget his sleeping bag on a northern MN November deer hunt. He slept (poorly) in garbage bags.

18-Dec-13
last month drove a couple hours to coyote hunt and conditions were perfect. Dogs were howling all around me as i unloaded my gear. Looked all around for my foxpro and it was nowhere to b found. In my morning rush I had left it plugged in at the house. Plus I had forgotten to bring a mouth call. Coyotes prob ran out of the area laughing hearing me trying to salvage the morning by doing my best rabbit in distress vocalizations.

21-Dec-13
When I was younger I had finished a fine morning of duck hunting. Loaded up the car and was heading home when I came to a four way intersection. Facing me on the other side of the intersection was a very attractive young lady waving at me! Made a left turn and proceeded down the highway all the while thinking " yep, I still got it "! Next thing ya know I have a vintage 1968 chevy truck 6 feet off my bumper franticly waving me over. I pull over and get out and this guy that looks like the lead singer from ZZ Top hands me what was left of my brand new Rem 1100! Yep, you guessed it, left on the roof of the car. Don't know what hurt more, the loss of the the 1100 or the blow to my ego after realizing why the young lady was waving at me.

21-Dec-13
First year I deer hunted when I was 12 I saw one of the landowners friends stroll by 1/2 after sunrise heading back to the farm house. About 45 minutes later he came walking by again. He left his bolt of his rifle in his gun case.

21-Dec-13

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
Hmmmm. I spent a very long 4 days over Labor Day weekend waiting for my ELK tag to be FedExed to the NE OR grocery store after I left it on my dresser- 5 hours away. I should have driven home to get it.

Luckily I was able to set up some hunting spots for my buddy and I while impatiently waiting. He got his ELK that weekend, mine came in Tues evening with the tag in my pocket.

Then there's the time my bow in a camo case got set beside a bush while we rearranged the truck prior to going to the horse trailhead.... It was turned into the Craig CO motel office a couple days later as I was preparing to drive to Cheyanne to buy another bow. Got my ELK the next day after getting to camp.

Double hmmmm, Stress results in success?!?!?!?!?

24-Dec-13
they have these things called bowquiver invented by fred Bear they work gret never take them off I saw Jackie Bushman a professional bowhunter & Deer expert walking to his stand with a bow in one hand and his boq quiver in the other hand TINK NATHAN

25-Dec-13
My arrows sit on my hip. I'll never carry them on my bow. This is one of the ways I pay for that I suppose.

• Sitka Gear