Mule Power 15-Dec-13
Bowboy 15-Dec-13
Anonymous 17-Dec-13
Mule Power 17-Dec-13
BULELK1 17-Dec-13
SteveB 17-Dec-13
kidwalker 18-Dec-13
15-Dec-13
I have always wanted to hunt mulies in G or H and know it really fell off in quality awhile back. Has anyone been there recently, and just how tough is it ?

Thanks.

15-Dec-13
Been there LOTS in 2012 and 2013. So have friends who live in Jackson and guide for a living.

Not looking too good. Obviously if you had the time, lots of time, they aren't extinct. But it'll be awhile yet before things rebound.

Yesterday I received a copy of Wyoming Outdoors, the publication of the WY Outfitters & Guides Association. The top mulie bucks are nothing to write home about. BUT... there is one outfitter who a friend of mine guided for who does well. Mind you this guy couldn't care less about his elk hunting. He gets big bucks for mulie hunts. His secret: He flies all summer long and pinpoints the couple spots where there is a big mature buck. He actually takes pictures of them, hands them to the guide and says this is the only deer you are to shoot.

The average hunter can't really compete with that but it does show me that there are still a few up there.

I'm holding on to my deer points for now.

15-Dec-13
I hunt all over region H for elk don't waste your points and time on this area for deer.

I've seen the hunter numbers dwindle big time. You can draw with zero points.

I hunted two weeks this year and saw a total of 10 deer. Three were little bucks.

WY Game & Fish allowed over hunting for does and too many tags back in the 90's.

Their aware but still have't done anything to correct it.

IMO the best thing can due is make it a draw area for both no residents and no residents and give low number of tags.

It used to be a great area and you could usually get multiple opportunities at some good buck and you would always see some monster bucks.

17-Dec-13
Wow, this is really sad. And outfits are claiming multiple 200 class deer in recent years.

17-Dec-13
Yes. Nobody said they were extinct. Some guys still know where there are a few and how to find them. Have you read my 1st post? Yes... multiple 200 inchers with pics to prove it. But good luck to most of us myself included finding one.

Nice name and location. :-/

17-Dec-13
+1 Joe!!

As you and I prolly have spent more time and more boot leather miles than most all other non-ressy Wyo tag holders in "H & G" deer/elk overlap units....over the last many year in years-out.

Good luck, Robb

17-Dec-13
Thanks guys,this info is likely helping me from spending my 7 points unnecessarily. Sounds like waiting may be prudent.

18-Dec-13
If you want to see what this area has to offer , take a trip to the winter range between thanks giving and Christmas. 15 years ago it was common to see multiple booners per day, last year I saw one good buck in 3 days. But this one was 190+.

• Sitka Gear