Contributors to this thread:
Shrewski 24-Dec-13
Steve H. 24-Dec-13
BULELK1 25-Dec-13
Mule Power 25-Dec-13
Shrewski 26-Dec-13
BULELK1 26-Dec-13
24-Dec-13

Wyoming FNAWS sent me my reminder to put in for their 2014 $100 raffle. They have 10 very nice prizes to win and a limit of 300 tickets, but the grand prize is your choice of a commisioner tag for elk, mule deer, or antelope. I've already taken an elk I will not ever better with my longbow, and I am good with antelope as well, so I would pick the mule deer tag.

It is good for any area/season for deer in WY.

Where would YOU go and what would you do?

I've already got all my vacation time allotted for 2014 until it refreshes Oct 15 (yes, that IS a pain for hunt planning!) so I believe my quest for a big stickbow muley will have to wait for when my max point tag gets drawn. I think if I drew this year I would have to choose one of the late season November hunts like 105/106/109 and break out the .270...in a normal year I think I would be in 90 for the first two weeks of archery and go back for the last two weeks of November if needed.

This year I think I would also give up my mainly DIY ways and find a good guide that would appreciate the special circumstances of the tag.

Would you stick to DIY or not? If not who would you consider as an outfitter?

I also see WYGF is now doing a couple "Supertag" raffles of their own this year. Sure makes it fun to dream and scheme in the off season...

24-Dec-13
.2-what?

25-Dec-13
If my memory is correct-----

You do not have to select a specific unit with the Com. tag, just a specific species....

I certainly would have a 'G' region unit on my list as I hunted the deer units all fall on that Com Tag!

Good luck, Robb

25-Dec-13
Yep G. You'll be extremely hard pressed to find a top notch mulie buck on your own these days. The herd is down for sure. I'd hunt with Rob Wiley of Non-Typical Outfitters. He has a damn dry personality but his bread and butter is big mulies. Elk hunts $4200/Mule deer $7000! What does that tell you?

NOBODY puts the time into finding them like he does. Flies around for countless days making sure they know there's a 200 incher up there before they even start up any hill.

Wyoming Outdoors magazine shows his top bucks from last year: 197, 198, 228, & 240. And that's nothing new for him. These days the deer aren't what they used to be and they aren't easy to find but he definitely gets the job done before you arrive.

I have a friend who guides for him so of course... you could just PM me for some smokin' hot tips. :-)

26-Dec-13
Those Non-Typical guys definitely are always in the top of the top bucks in the Wyoming Outfitters magazine. Good to know "we" have an in there :-)

I thought there would be more dreamers out there...must be returning all of their non bowhunting Christmas gifts!

26-Dec-13
Rob Wiley helped me out like 3-4 years ago and he charged me $100-----

No way in hell that $$$ even covered his truck fuel and snowmobile fuel----

Stand-up/hard working type fella.

Good luck, Robb

PS---I have never ever ridden on a snowmobile since! haha

• Sitka Gear