YZF-88 30-Dec-13
smarba 31-Dec-13
painless 31-Dec-13
keepitreal 31-Dec-13
Bill Obeid 01-Jan-14
Ridge Wraith 01-Jan-14
Mule Power 01-Jan-14
29-Dec-13
I'm trying to decide between a Vortex Razor 11-33x50 (or Nikon ED 50)and 16-48x65. Is a 30 power scope sufficient? It would be used on backpack/high country hunts. Thanks, John

29-Dec-13

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
That's a tough call. I have the Nikon ED 50 (13-30) and it has served me well. I've spotted bucks from a mile away. This scope is a great combination of weight, quality and performance.

Having said that though, I'm saving up for an 85mm for pre-season scouting. I'll keep the 50mm for hunting.

This buck is 3/4mi away. Just put my crappy camera up to the eyepiece.

29-Dec-13
30 is pretty good. I get the best clarity inside 40x but find myself frequently using 60x on my Swarovski. Was just glassing goats from over a mile away and the 60x sure was nice to determine trophy quality.

29-Dec-13
The Razor has great reviews.

I have a Nikon ED 50 angle body and I bought a 15 - 45 eyepiece separately [all a from NYC]. After using both I find the higher power very usable in many situations. On cool calm days I can keep it cranked up. It's nicwe to have the option. I have Swaro 10X32 EL binos and still find the higher magnification on the scope very helpful. If you're trying to count rings on sheep or tell a good goat from a great goat then clear magnification is essential. A lighter scope can also get away with a lighter tripod and the angled body allows a shorter tripod so you can save even more weight and bulk.

When looking at a ram from 1/2 a mile away, side by side, it's clear that my buddies 15-45X65 Ziess is a better picture. But if price and weight are a consideration than both the Vortex and Nikon are well worth a look. One thing to keep in mind is that a scope that is easy to pack will likely be in your pack when you want it most.

29-Dec-13
Thanks for the responses. The picture really helps. I think I'm leaning towards the 50mm scope now, especially given the option of buying the higher magnification eyepieces I hadn't even thought about that.

29-Dec-13
Have been using the Razor 50 extensively for months now. Great for backpack hunting.

29-Dec-13
20-60x

29-Dec-13
+1 JD above I have yet to be on a hunt where I wish I had a scope under 60mm and many instances (most hunts) dial it up to zoom in to determine if its the caliber of animal I am after.

30-Dec-13
You'll probably find out that quality glass makes a HUGE difference when viewing in low light conditions. Buy the best glass you can afford! Also, heat waves can make it nearly impossible to field judge...especially with mediocre glass. The longer the distance and higher the power the more distortion with mediocre glass.

I usually crank my scopes up to the highest power available when judging game....even at 100 yards. If you hunt antelope or mtn goats where a 1/2" here or there makes a big difference in score you will be glad you spent $ on quality glass.

With that said I prefer 20 x 60x. Leica or Swaro's are an investment you will never regret!

30-Dec-13
You'll probably find out that quality glass makes a HUGE difference when viewing in low light conditions. Buy the best glass you can afford! Also, heat waves can make it nearly impossible to field judge...especially with mediocre glass. The longer the distance and higher the power the more distortion with mediocre glass.

I usually crank my scopes up to the highest power available when judging game....even at 100 yards. If you hunt antelope, mtn goats, sheep and other species where a 1/2" here or there makes a big difference in score you will be glad you spent $ on quality glass.

With that said I prefer 20 x 60x. Leica or Swaro's are an investment you will never regret!

30-Dec-13

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Another pic using the ED50. This buck is .33 miles away...and getting further thanks to some illegal ATV's!

31-Dec-13
I use fixed power 20x & find it serves me as well as my partners 20-45+. Often heat waves limit any use at higher power, regardless of temperature.

31-Dec-13
I have had a Zeiss 15-45 X65 for several years. Got the smaller objective lens since I was going to be backpacking most of the time and wanted to save on weight. Every now and the I wish I had the 60X but I love the scope I have. If you are going to use it, you'll never regret spending the money for good glass.

31-Dec-13
I spend alot of time behind a scope, its part of my job. I personally am not impressed with the Vortex, very blury around the edges. I have used a Leopold gold ring 12-40HD for the past 7 years. It is very durable and compact for back packing. The 12 power is great for a wider field of view when scanning and low light times. I have not had any issues with it at all. I would reccomend it for its compact size and weight, then you can have more room for a good tipod. If you dont pack a good tripod with you, the best scope out there is nearly worhtless. GET A GOOD, STURDY, TALL TRIPOD WITH A SOLID SMOOTH OPERATING HEAD its worth packing with you if you know you will be glassing alot, trust me.

01-Jan-14
As a rule you can get away with a little more magnification as long as you're using a higher quality glass, and, or, a larger objective lens.

Is a 30x power scope sufficient ? Yes, I think 30x is about all that is useful in many situations. Mirage often limits your useful power to 30x. If your objective lens is less than 60mm , I think that limits your magnification use to about 30x, especially in lower light.

Your decision with the scopes you're looking at depends on the weight you are willing to carry. Get a variable power......and decide whether you want to carry the weight of a 65mm scope. A tripod and head is excellent advise. Also, another factor not often mentioned is age. If you're young, your eyes benefit more from quality , big glass. And, you have the benefit of extra years of use to help offset cost. And you've got the legs to carry it.

01-Jan-14
I bought a 15x-45x 65mm Vortex Viper HD and wasn't impressed with the clarity at the higher magnifications. I could honestly get about the same amount of detail through my 10x42 very bright binoculars as I could out of the spotting scope with a dim blurred view. I would recommend a 20x-60x 80mm scope or just using good 10x+ power binoculars that you can look through with both eyes.

These are just my opinions.

01-Jan-14
It's a major investment and one you want to get right the first time. Don't end up wanting more scope!

20x-60x 80mm

You can crank it down but you cant crank up a 30 max if (when!) you need to. Heck.... I bet everyone here who owns a 60 power has had it maxed out and tried turning it up even higher at some point.

As with all gear... if you're a hunter for life always buy the best you can afford. You'll never regret it.

• Sitka Gear