BOHNTR 30-Jan-14
Bill in MI 30-Jan-14
DL 30-Jan-14
SDHNTR(home) 30-Jan-14
BOWUNTR 30-Jan-14
DL 30-Jan-14
SDHNTR(home) 30-Jan-14
09-Jan-14
Here is a link to a video that will answer the questions about bringing Deer and Elk back into California legally. This way you can take your trophy to your Taxidermist cared for in the field correctly. Taxidermist are known for being disappointed in the manner most trophies arrive at their shops. Educate yourself on proper field care and the quality of your mounts into improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30nLeVSN-eo

KW

Just copy and paste

09-Jan-14
Great info...

09-Jan-14
Last year two fellas brought there deer into the AG station on I-80. They had a place for them to remove the spine on there deer and cut off the antlers. When they were finished they were each awarded a $400. Citation. People need to learn to read the regulations here as well as other states.

10-Jan-14
While states vary, CWD has most requiring you not bring spine or nerve structures in. This will include removing the brain and cleaning the skull. Teeth are often not allowed.

To be safe you should just assume any state you go through will require this.

If you are passing through a state you still must abide by their regs regarding CWD.

10-Jan-14
What about your Mtn. Lion?

29-Jan-14
I had a client book a Lion hunt here in Colorado and before the hunt he called California Fish and Game and they told him that bringing his lion back into the State of Cali was totally illegal.

29-Jan-14
If you can prove your lion was taken prior to 1972, you can have it...otherwise possessing any part of a mountain lion is illegal. Non profits, schools,museums, etc can get a permit....I keep waiting for a heavy-hitter like the Safari Club or NRA to challenge this law in court.....

Joe

29-Jan-14
Don't hold your breath waiting. It's a sad deal for sure. It's going to take a lion killing some kids at a school or some one important before the law will ever get changed.

29-Jan-14
The law has been modified and now they don't want any muscle tissue on the skull either. I had a warden in my shop last week telling me this. The fine is a grand if you try and bring one in without doing it.

30-Jan-14
most if not all laws that pertain to transporting your trophy back into CA, were not well thought out and are down right STUPID. I should go and ask a F&G officer what the big deal is with the mtn Lion but I will probably get pissed.

30-Jan-14
They won't be changing the lion law after 42 years.

30-Jan-14
Bou:

I believe you meant 24 years??? Prop 117 was passed in 1990.

But I agree, with 2/3 majority vote needed to overturn it.....it will never happen with all the liberals who occupy San Francisco and Los Angeles.

30-Jan-14
Do you have to show your papers at the CA border too?

30-Jan-14

4800. (a) The mountain lion (genus Puma) is a specially protected mammal under the laws of this state. (b) (1) It is unlawful to take, injure, possess, transport, import, or sell any mountain lion or any part or product thereof, except as specifically provided in this chapter or in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 2116) of Division 3. (2) This chapter does not prohibit the sale or possession of any mountain lion or any part or product thereof, when the owner can demonstrate that the mountain lion, or part or product thereof, was in the person's possession on June 6, 1990.

30-Jan-14
I don't like it, but I understand the prohibition on hunting lions in this state. The people voted and banned it. I get that. But what makes no sense and seems patently unconstitutional to me is the inability to legally hunt a lion in another state and bring it home. I'm not a lawyer but that sure seems like an obvious violation of interstate commerce provisons.

Trying to overturn the ban on hunting them is a lost cause, but the posession part seems like it could be easily challenged and reversed.

30-Jan-14
A couple months ago I received an email from SCI that said they wanted successful lion hunters to come forward as they are investigating the possibility of a class action law suit on the importation of lion parts. I signed up for a 3 year membership, emailed them that I am on board... so far the only thing I have received is a bunch of junk mail... maybe something is in the works, or I just fell for a marketing scheme...

Bigger worries on the horizon for Ca... soon, you won't be able to use dogs to hunt anything... upland game, waterfowl... Call it BS... it'll happen and won't surprise me one bit. Ed F

30-Jan-14
The lame excuse that was given in hunting bears with dogs is the misuse of the dogs and the harm that came to the dogs. If that's the case dogs are in a whole lot worse danger in pig hunting.

30-Jan-14
Aggree Ed. Won't surprise me one bit either. Writing is on the wall.

• Sitka Gear