Heat 10-Jan-14
AZ~Rich 10-Jan-14
StickFlicker 10-Jan-14
WylieCoyote 10-Jan-14
azdogman 10-Jan-14
BOHNTR 10-Jan-14
Bill in MI 11-Jan-14
10-Jan-14
Heading out with a 14 hour drive ahead of me to west central AZ for some OTC archery mule deer action. Hunting public land with my cousin and we have been waitin on this hunt for some time. We will be glassing a lot of country with some big optics and hopefully turning up some shooter bucks. I'll keep you posted on how we do.

10-Jan-14
Good luck and post up some pics.

10-Jan-14
Good Luck Hunt Easy!

Here's my story from my hunt this year. My jinx continues! Arrived at my camp spot with my cousin Jon around 3PM on the 1st. We had time to get out for a little glassing during the evening hunt. Right before dark I located some javis about a half mile away at the base of a big hill. We figured we'd just find them in the morning. During the night the wind picked up a lot so the thoughts of an easy locate in the morning started to go away as the wind got stronger.

The next morning we looked for the pigs right where they were the night before but they must have moved off quite a bit during the night. We hiked around looking for sign and whatever else and started heading back to camp around 1PM. As we were approaching an area where a guy had parked earlier in the morning near our camp, we started hearing squealing sounds that almost sounded like a baby crying. We thought it was probably the guy with the truck doing some predator calling or messing around with a call. The next thing I know is I see my cousin hurdling a fence as he whispers "pigs". Somehow we walked right in on the pigs. Good thing a little one was vocal, because it gave away the herd. So I stalk in on them and only see a half pint sized pig. All of a sudden a bigger one appears out of the bushes right in front of me. I shoot and miss. So at the shot the rest of the herd starts to scatter and another one pops up in the same spot the last one was. Draw back and let one go, whack! I see the pig run off with the arrow sticking way out of him. Oh no, I think to myself! I hit too far forward and too high according to my cousin, who also got a shot and missed. We followed a decent blood trail for about 50 yards where we see my snapped off arrow shaft sticking in the ground with the fletching buried in the dirt. I don't know how the pig managed to bite the arrow off and stick it in the ground but that's what we saw following the trail. We were able to determine that I only got 3-4 inches of penetration including the broadhead. I must have hit shoulder or head. The blood was only basically small drops beyond that, and eventually there was no blood to follow at all. Obviously, I was mad at myself for rushing the shot and not going through my shot sequence correctly and a bit depressed about wounding an animal. I spent the rest of that day following fresh tracks hoping to get back on a bloodtrail or wounded pig, but there was no more luck to be had. I did bump a sow with piglets at 15 yards or so right at dark, and let them walk.

The next morning we had high hopes of finding something else. The morning started good with me glassing up a nice 3x3 buck within minutes of setting up the glass. We watched him haul butt across the desert floor, never stopping much, eventually getting into some really thick cover where we lost him. My other cousin Joe, who arrived the day before attempted a stalk, but never saw him again. Later that evening, I glassed up the herd of pigs again very near where we had the action the day before. We had high hopes to find them again right there in the morning but they relocated again. Dang! That afternoon I saw a smaller 3x3 buck with 3 does but that was the last of the game sightings for me. I had to head home on Sunday, ending another hunt with no pig!

So the curse continues...I am totally ashamed to admit it, but this is the exact thing that happened two years ago, and very similar to what happened in 2009 or so. I get in on the pigs, rush the shot and make a bad hit, not able to recover the animal. I know that when you hunt with a bow, these things happen but this trend is very disturbing to me. I know that I need to become a better shot under pressure. I don't seem to know what else to do, other than not give up and stay after it. At least I had a chance I guess. I have never had this happen on any other archery animal I have shot at. Everything else has died right away. I am very perplexed why I can't seem to shoot straight at these darn pigs! Pig Fever I guess, LOL!

Thanks for reading! If anyone has any wisdom regarding the normal behavior of javelina during the night I am very interested. Do they normally feed quite a bit after dark during the warmer times during the winter? We were back after them at first light, which is generally early enough to find late rising pigs. We figured that they wouldn't move far after locating them in the evening twice, but they proved me wrong both times. What gives?

10-Jan-14
Sorry to hear about the lost pig. They can be tough animals if the shot is not exactly in their vitals. It has happened to everyone who hunts them for a long time. In general if you aim right on their collar about even with the front leg you will be in the sweet spot. Their lungs are pretty far forward. Also, javelina are quite active at night and do move around a lot. Like feral hogs, they certainly feed and just about everything else at night so it's no surprise they would not be in the same area the next morning. If you find one of their favorite haunts, they might be back during your hunt, but I have seen them completely leave an area with too many hunters too. On windy-stormy or very cold days, forget about finding them as they hole-up in such weather. I would also get yourself a javelin call and try using it when you are in that situation again. You will get some real close action for sure! Good luck if you go out again.

10-Jan-14
I used to think they didn't move much at night, during the season, because it was too cold. However, once trail cameras came on the scene I realized that they do feed at night.

As far as using a call, if you are panic shooting with them just feeding around, shooting at a pig that has come to a call will totally unnerve you!! But it is fun!

10-Jan-14
Totally unnerve you...as StickFlicker said....I have discovered (unlike predators)..that Javelina need to be called continually to keep them coming in....I was calling one afternoon and a big boar came crashing out of the brush right at me...I kicked at him to avoid a collision and I promptly fell down...the pig was popping his teeth and I was on the ground, pig head high....I was terrified and finally realized that I was still blowing the call with a crazed Javvy about 12" from my face!..I got under control (somewhat) and stopped blowing the call......the pig ran off and I just sat there in awe of what just happened....

10-Jan-14
Good luck. The rut is on good in the desert. We have seen big bucks every day this week with a few close calls. My buddy from Hawaii (kawabunga) on here shot a nice 3 point couple days ago. Still chasing a couple 170-180 inch bucks so hope we can get one down

10-Jan-14
Just got back from spending two weeks in the AZ desert. 2013 tag filled with a 25" 3x4 (nothing special) on December 27th. Filled my 2014 tag on January 1st on a heavy main-frame 3x4 (24" wide) with a couple of cheaters (6x5). Topped it off with a javelina on the 5th. Stayed some extra days to scout for my hunting partners (who are still there). Good trip this year.

11-Jan-14
Congrats. That Dec into Jan, 2 deer and javi AZ OTC hunt is a bunch of fun.

• Sitka Gear