Fulldraw1972 16-Jan-14
MNbowhunter 16-Jan-14
Jaquomo_feral 16-Jan-14
MNbowhunter 17-Jan-14
shaneweigand 17-Jan-14
MNbowhunter 17-Jan-14
Sd guide 18-Jan-14
12-Jan-14
I am looking at going on a mule deer hunt with my dad probably in 2015. I've looked around on Google and I've also bought numerous books from Easton's. So I'm working on building up my knowledge but I've never planned a hunt before, normally my dad does. He's looking into eastern Montana in one of the block management areas. I've talked with BigDan briefly and he's given a few ideas. I've read many other places that the population in east montana is pretty low. So I don't know if that would be a great place.

We aren't looking for trophy mulies and don't want a guided hunt. I'd like to see quite a few animals and have a chance at a legal buck. We'd be going during gun season, so it's not early season. My dad wants to stay way from the masses of hunters and is willing to look at land where you pay a trespass fee.

Can anyone give some options on places to look? I will do the footwork, I just don't know where to get started without asking others who have hunted before.

12-Jan-14
Which books did you get from Easton's?

12-Jan-14
Colorado. You could have a great opp type hunt with minimal research.

12-Jan-14
Thanks I did mean Eastman. I got Mule Deer Tactics and hunting high country mule deer. We were trying to stay away from Colorado, we've been there quite a few times to hunt elk. But I'm getting the idea that CO is the best place to get a mule deer.

13-Jan-14
Anyone hunt South Dakota?

16-Jan-14
One last question, how do you go about finding private land where you pay a trespass fee to hunt on?

16-Jan-14
Just hunt public land...there's plenty of opportunities.

16-Jan-14
You said going during gun season. Are you thinking about bow hunting during a gun season?? I wouldn't over look a general area in Utah either. I hunted one last year during the archery season and had a blast.

16-Jan-14
BOHNTR,

We were trying to stay away from public land to avoid seeing orange everywhere.

Fulldraw1972,

We'd be rifle hunting during the gun season. I'd love to go bow, but my dad isn't that much into bowhunting like I am.

16-Jan-14
Google "Colorado trespass fee deer hunts" and you'll find a number of links to outfitters who offer this. But be advised, the hunting may not be very good and you may find more guys on that ranch than on the surrounding public land.

Outfitters save the best spots for guys willing to pay $$$ for fully-guided hunts. Others who offer trespass fee hunts accept all comers.

17-Jan-14
Thanks Jaquomo, I think that's one way I didn't do a google search, I tried other methods.

17-Jan-14
Do your phone homework. A lot of mule deer numbers are down around EastMont and some areas have been burned and the deer have moved to other places. Just like with elk, walk the miles and plan on getting away from roads/obvious areas.

17-Jan-14
Thanks for all the suggestions.

18-Jan-14
Mn I wouldn't count on South Dakota because the draw is hard for nonresidents in the gun season, but it is over the counter for archery Contact the state agency in the states you want to hunt, the biologist will help you out with any questions on numbers and areas you need.

• Sitka Gear