willliamtell 12-Feb-14
Glunt@work 12-Feb-14
MuleyFever 12-Feb-14
Iaintafraidofnotag 15-Feb-14
leo17 16-Feb-14
MuleyFever 23-Feb-14
Golden Pyr 23-Feb-14
08-Feb-14
So I have 5 points in CO and my plan was to draw a early high country archery tag. I have never hunted in CO or above treeline so that was my goal. The thing is I am at a point where my knees are not what they once were and I still do not have a big mulie, 180" or so.

I am now considering waiting for a gun tag. Archery success is not nearly as high and at this point I just want a good chance at a larger deer. Do I use the points on an archery tag or can I draw a good gun tag in the next couple years? I dont want to wait forever but if I can get a good CO gun tag in the next couple of years I could use my WY points for the high country experience.

09-Feb-14
My opinion you would be burning to many points for a high country archery hunt. I know 63 is a good unit but all you need is 3 points. 44 for a late rifle would be a good choice for a big muley but your going to need way more points then 5. Maybe 74 early rifle but you again will need more points and you did say your knees were not the best. Sorry that probably wasn't what kind if info you were looking for.

09-Feb-14
See that is what I was thinking is that I have too many points now to burn on an archery tag when I could have a good high country hunt for 1-3 points.

I have the points for WY or CO high country archery. I guess at this point which state do I hold out for gun and the better chance at a big deer? I also have about the same points for NV and I live in UT and hunt archery at home. Do I just make NV my higher success rate gun hunt? I also have some points for AZ.

09-Feb-14
Double post.

09-Feb-14
We have a ton of good bucks in Colorado; 250 plus booners last year, at least 50 more entries than any other state. I'd burn my Wyo points and start hunting CO every year on O point tags. Are you considering going guided? If not, you'll need to do some serious scouting or have a ton of time (whole season) in order to give yourself chances at a 180. Not sure what I'd do with 5 NR points either. Dump em on a lesser unit, maybe. Pick a 0 point draw with good quality and keep at it for a few years and it'll happen; effort dependent! Good luck

09-Feb-14
Go eastern Colorado....

09-Feb-14
There are a few high country archery units in CO that you can draw on a second choice and keep collecting points. Through checking posts/replies western WY in not worth cashing in your points. I love Nevada. With their bonus point system, don't wait for lots of points. Just never sure when you are going to draw. Some really rough country though.

09-Feb-14
I'm in the exact same boat with 5 points realizing I have too many for most archery units, but don't want near the trophy quality you are seeking. I'm considering 76, 63, 55, and a handful of others. I won't have time to scout early on, but will be there from opening day until I kill. I'm hoping for a P&Y quality Mulie, but would honestly even let an arrow fly at a 130+.

I do know that having an early season high alpine bowhunt is more important to me than the size of the bucks.

10-Feb-14
I agree with TEmbry. I love early season high country mule deer. I try to do one of these hunts every year. Then I head for the sage country. I'm not much of a point saver. I would rather hunt more often in decent units than once in a premier unit. I have had pretty good luck killing good bucks using this strategy.

10-Feb-14
I'd burn the points on a good unit now ,while the quality bucks are there in CO. I'd NEVER recommend hunting with a gun to kill an animal for anyone wanting a quality experience.

10-Feb-14
You might want to see what this winter does before looking at the Gunnison or Eagle units as the winter has not been easy on the deer, or fair to say it is going to be a hard winter on them in man places, and depending on what march brings we could see a big winter kill this year.

Here in central Colorado just this last storm dumped 6+ feet of snow a lot of places up high and 3+ feet down low. The cattle fences are under and the sage is almost totally under the snow...

Unlike 07/08 there is way less snow in the North West and South West winter grounds so if I had a bucket of points that is where I would start to look around.

10-Feb-14
Here is something also to consider concerning mountain mule deer populations.

The DOW has cut back on the number of license for the Early Rifle Buck Deer Seasons, (early to mid Sept) These limited draw licenses are for buck mule deer in 12 plus units across the mts of Colorado, at or above tree line.

This year, there are only 350 licenses available for all of these units whereas before there were nearly a 100 more. I would expected the decrease in licenses was a management decision because of a decrease in mule deer bucks caused by the last few bad winters.

Are there still buck around? Most likely, but maybe not as many.

Your knees are not what they use to be? I had to climb 1800 ft to hunt these great animals, BUT there are mountain passes, via of roads, that transect some good deer country that would make hiking up and around easier.

10-Feb-14
"I'd NEVER recommend hunting with a gun to kill an animal for anyone wanting a quality experience."

You have got to be kidding....

11-Feb-14
cnelk, NOT KIDDING at all ! I personally find no satisfaction in killing an animal with a gun , and loose out on an opportunity at a quality animal that be could perused with stick and string. Sorry, this is just my opinion, I'd hate to see a fellow archer blow hard earned points on a gun hunt.

11-Feb-14
I almost took exception to the comment that one person would never hunt with a gun for a quality experience. I then realized that it was expressed as one man's opinion. I personally have a problem with an able bodied person hunting with a cross bow. If it is legal and the person gets satisfaction from it then it should be condoned by good sportsmen. Having said that, a friend took a deer with a traditional bow on our rifle season last year. I thought putting additional limitations on himself was pretty cool. Let's not judge each other for practical decisions. Safe legal and ethical and I am good with it.

12-Feb-14
The satisfaction is in the experience and the hunt and should not be determined by how primitive the weapon is IMO

That being said, I would probably burn the points now and not wait. You are coming close to "no mans land" where you don't have enough to draw the highly publicized "popular" units that are known producers and you don't want to burn them on a tag that requires fewer points as you've already spent years acquiring points. With bum knees I don't know if you would want to hunt some of the areas I would suggest as they are above timberline and can be damn tough on the joints. If you want to hunt the plains I would look at areas that haven't been hit as hard by the drought and start there

12-Feb-14
method hunters hate the methods of others I have found. Lots of mule deer up in the flatops above tree line.

12-Feb-14
Geeze, I really feel for you guys. Back when I and my buddies hunted CO. (60's). All we had to do was drive out there, stop at a sporting goods store and buy over the counter elk and deer tags. As I remember,$25.00 a piece. could hunt anywhere in the state except for private land and a few restricted zones. Could do the whole trip (week) for around 100-150 bucks. Included gas, food, licenses, etc. (split 4 ways and taking our own tents etc. (DIY)

12-Feb-14
Forgot to mention we were from and are still from Iowa.

12-Feb-14
Muley you just need to get yourself to CO and start hunting their bucks. Phenomenal genes. Pick it over Wyo anyday for the size you are looking for. As far as points and rifle versus bow, how bad do you want that rack number on your wall? There are plenty of outfitters that talk about their 180-range bucks. Maybe you could get on some private property for a decent price. Doing it solo bowhunting with bad knees - could be tough. But you already know the answer if you don't go.

12-Feb-14
Rifle tag = Great opportunity to tag a buck and possibly a big one. Limited to the high country and higher chance of a hunter blowing out your basin.

Archery = Great opportunity to hunt big bucks but not easy to close the deal above timberline. One advantage is that the tag is good for the whole unit and you might find decent hunting lower right from the truck.

Muzzleloader = Tag is good in the whole unit and maybe the best combination of success odds, points required and fun.

Not going = stinks

12-Feb-14
I dont want an outfitter. As far as the knees comment what I meant was I am starting to feel it more and I feel it could keep me from going as far in as I would like. That is where the M/L or rifle tag comes to mind. Easier to get a shot once I find a deer. I am imagining with a bow one needs more stalks for success and that means hiking across the mountain more.

My gut tells me to just get into the high country, I wont be sorry and will wonder why I waited this long. I can hold out in NV and/or AZ for that gun tag in an amazing unit. Maybe a Kiabab M/L tag or hold out until when/if WY comes back.

15-Feb-14
+1 OTCWill

The fact of the mater is that the 180" buck that your looking for isn't around every corner in ANY unit here or anywhere, not even in the Henries or on the strip. the only thing that a higher point unit is going to get you is more opportunity to be in an area with less guys runnin around. Your best bet is going to find an area that you can hunt at the very least every other year if not every year. Knowledge of an area is what gets big bucks killed every year. That's why outfitters get it done every year in areas that they know like the small of their womans back. Learn a unit and find where the larger bucks that Colorado is known for and post a picture of your giant that we can all ogle.

16-Feb-14
Why not try and draw as a second choice and keep building points. I hunted 43 in september and After I killed my elk and bear I sure wish I had a deer tag. I saw 2 huge 4x4's and a non typical.

I think you can draw 43 as a 2nd choice

23-Feb-14
I am looking at 65, 67, or 74. I am looking for opinions on the better high country unit in terms of the experience, access, and hunter pressure. Really any info that would help me decide.

23-Feb-14

Golden Pyr 's embedded Photo
Golden Pyr 's embedded Photo
this was in a Unit not mentioned, and at 7000 feet . I will withhold the Unit, as not to offend locals. 208/78

• Sitka Gear