fin little 20-Apr-14
NickJ1980 20-Apr-14
BULELK1 20-Apr-14
NickJ1980 20-Apr-14
Zim1 21-Apr-14
BULELK1 21-Apr-14
Zim1 21-Apr-14
15-Feb-14
I was at the dinner and auction tonight at the Western Hunt Expo. I can't get over the prices people paid for the tags.

Antelope Island Mule Deer = $305,000 Most elk tags = $25000-30000 Goat Tags = $20,000

I have the entire list by tag and price. I know this is a hot topic, but I thought I would just share what they were going for tonight.

Good luck in the draws!

15-Feb-14
What did the Henry's tag sell for?

15-Feb-14
I have 9 mini vid's of the Expo western big game mounts ect....

I have sent them out to a lot of you already but if I missed ya or ya want to see them----toss me an email.

They are between 20 seconds and 40 seconds long...

Good luck, Robb

[email protected]

15-Feb-14
Henry Mule Deer = $85000 NV Statewide Deer = $85000

15-Feb-14
$25,000-$30,000 for most elk tags?

Makes me feel pretty darned good about getting a Panguitch Lake archery elk tag for $4,500.

16-Feb-14
I think I got all of ya covered by this early morning.

I hope I didn't miss any one....

Good luck, Robb

PS. Ya stole that tag Kyle! ha

16-Feb-14
Anyone know what a Book Cliffs archery deer tag went for?

16-Feb-14
$4750 but it was a different banquet

16-Feb-14
Last week at the SCI convention in Las Vegas, Iheard the WMAT elk tag went for 75k, I'm wondering what San Carlos elk tag went for at he expo?

16-Feb-14
300K for a deer tag? I know it's Antelope Island but wow! How long can the person hunt?

Anyone have pictures of some bucks from this year out there? I don't go on MM much anymore to keep up with them.

16-Feb-14
They are doing the Spidey Bull gig on those AI buck tags....

Ya know--ear tag type deal.....all for wildlife for sure!

Good luck, Robb

16-Feb-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
My 9 year old daughter asked a good question when we were looking at them "how's it fair if the deer can't leave the island?".

She asked one of the DNR wardens a good question as well. "If you take the antlers from the poacher, can't they just buy them back at the auction?"

They were both good questions! Both are expensive and neither is really hunting. The poacher is probably going to spend less on the fine and buying "his" rack back than he'd spend on an outfitted hunt!

Nick, there are some pics on MM but like you, I don't go there anymore. It's a soap opera. Here's one of his AI bucks. I have no idea what year it is. The whole thing makes me queasy.

16-Feb-14
Antelope Island is a BIG island! To say it's not fair chase is just flat out wrong.

I was on Antelope Island just last summer and any hunt there would be a fair chase hunt.

16-Feb-14
NvA,

That's comical... The guys who hunt there had their entourage on the Island for months leading up to the "hunt"...

I'd LOVE to shed hunt it someday.

Are those deer even eligible for the record books?

16-Feb-14
I'm not going to argue with her because she did a good job hiking out there with me.

Nick, I think you have to pay a fee to shed hunt there and it'll be a frantic race with half of SLC on one specific day.

16-Feb-14
So I've heard... I also know that the folks who are out there all the time have the sheds they want marked so they can scoop em up quick!

16-Feb-14
Nick,

The island is a BIG island. It's a bit over 42 square miles.

That the tag buyer had people out scouting the island may not be what you or I would do, or even like the thought of, but sadly, that same thing happens with almost all of the high price tags. That does not mean the hunt is not fair chase.

BTW, there is at least one exit from the island. It's unlikely deer or sheep would transit that exit, but it has been done in several other locales when you'd say to yourself, "No way!"

16-Feb-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

16-Feb-14
FYI, Antelope Island is no longer an island. It hasn't been for a couple of years now. The Salt Lake has been dropping. It is now just a salt flat on the eastern side clear to Salt Lake City.

16-Feb-14
A good friend of mine bought the 2nd Henrys tag last night. Should be a fun summer of scouting

16-Feb-14
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case Seth......

16-Feb-14
Your buddy spent $80K for that 2nd Henry's tag? I'm guessing you guys are going to have a really nice base camp! Please take lots of pics of the hunt and share!

17-Feb-14
Yes sir, thats what it cost him

17-Feb-14
Its to bad they let these guys steal Tags from Public hunters and line there pockets. One are two tags to make some moneys for the state is ok but the 100s of tags they get is a crime!

17-Feb-14
Utah has over 400 auction permits. Plus the 200 that they draw at the expo. Those 200 permits come out of the nonresident pools. BigDan, you are correct. It's criminal. With regards to the antelope island tag, there's one auction permit. And as utah law goes, there has to be a draw permit. So 2 tags. They were able to convince the state to do this hunt simply because antelope island is a state park and like pretty much anything government runs, they are broke. So broke they were saying they were going to close the island. Apparently, 300k is the difference between the island going broke or not. Kinda hard to believe really.

17-Feb-14
Well with the lotto at 400+ million maybe I can win it on wed and I will buy all my fellow bositers an auction tag;)

17-Feb-14
Believe it DConcrete. It's just mud.

17-Feb-14
+1 Dan. I find it ironic when people at the expo cheer for the high bidders who are in fact funding a system that poaches public draw tags! I don't begrudge or envy the wealthy but the Utah system with its 400 aformentioned auction tags is flat out embarassing.

18-Feb-14
What about the guy at the expo that donated 1.4 million and then donated his hunt back to be auctioned again? I wonder what that money will do for conservation?

Let's start some controversy now and see who thinks we are better without the state of Utah having and using the 4-5 Million (est) dollars the expo generated vs having every tag sold through the draw for us regular guys.

I for one can see most of the big picture and I am not jealous of people who have money.

Fire away.

18-Feb-14
For me, exorbitant auction prices for tags have the upside of motivating me that much more to win the same tag the ol fashioned way.

18-Feb-14
You dont what they spend that money so you dont know what good its doing. One thing is a fact ai wasnt huntable for 50 years and now denny opens his wallet and has a hunting peserve. My kids cannt get a tag but are learning the sad facts of the new conservation model

18-Feb-14
The state gets a fraction of what the tags sell for the moneys are pocketed by. SFW

18-Feb-14
SFW...'Nuff said....tragic!

18-Feb-14
I read somewhere that 90 percent of the tag price goes to the state, but I could be wrong. Does anyone out there know what the real numbers are?

18-Feb-14
Mqqse, look at the big picture all you want. I LIVE in utah with the "big picture". It ain't pretty! The moneys raised for the tags go to whomever is bidding them off. The division of wildlife gets very little if any. I would tell you to go see what sportsmans for fish and wildlife spend the money on but unfortunately.....after many years of people wanting the accounting, it hasn't happened. It's all smoke and mirrors. SFW has done some great things.....if you feel that tag reductions is good. If you feel that less and less hunters are good. Then hell yes that big picture is great. I live in this state. I see 20+ years of SFW first hand. I see the "big picture" first hand. Like I said, it ain't no Ansel Adams.

18-Feb-14
The money that the division of wildlife DOES receive for the auction permits is the basic cost of the permit. If you're a resident, you'll Pay that few. Non resident, pay that fee. Other states seem to manage their wildlife pretty damn good without the auction tags. Oh yeah, and non residents stand a chance at drawing too. So would we be fine without the 4 million bucks the expo generates? Hell yes we would be. Very very little of that money hits the ground anyways. Smoke and mirrors......smoke and mirrors.

18-Feb-14
It does sound fishy for sure. I was at the auctions and the auctioneer was talking about his sheep, moose and bison hunts in the past. At the Full Curl drawing one of the volunteers won a hunt.

It may all be in the up and up. Not sure on this end what to think.

The steak and lobster was tasty though.

18-Feb-14
The auctioneer is named john bair. Did he mention that he drew an antelope hunt from the expo and the following year he drew a sheep tag?? I'm sure he failed to mention those little tid bits.

18-Feb-14
Wish I had some luck like that.

18-Feb-14
I have not done the research on the Utah permits recently. In the past, most of the state auction permits paid the seller, WSF SCI etc 10%. The balance went to the state wildlife department, often earmarked for special projects to benefit the "regular" hunters. Some of the projects were access and winter range acquisition. I am certain there were others.

A few years ago, a very good conservationist did all the research, state by state, province by province. For all of North America He then presented it to the state wildlife agencies at the Western Wildlife conference. Documented the gross and net revenue, listed the use of the funds etc.

He also concluded that the biggest downfall of the auction programs was that the public was not being informed of the actual benefits that they are receiving. He predicted a backlash from the lack of education on the subject. That is what we are seeing here.

I am a bit surprised at some who are respected on this site making what I think are baseless allegations.

When someone says "states receive a fraction" that is correct. The most common fraction is 9/10.

18-Feb-14
Yea its 90% SFW 10% State I went to one of there expo's and will never go back.

18-Feb-14
Dan, What is SFW? Are you sure they are getting 90%. I have no evidence to support it, but that is not the norm for auction permits. Normally it is 90/10 the other way. State being the chief beneficiary.

18-Feb-14
The auction permits are one thing. Those could be sold anywhere, and by any org. My guess the WSF or RMEF could do just as good or a better job with those.

The 200+ convention permits are whole 'nother story. The fund-raising portion of those, which is the 5.00 per chance raffle proceeds, is kept entirely by the private organization. Reportedly this amounts to about $1,000,000.00 per year at the Expo. The bone of contention that most have with this cool million, is that the org is not required to account for the specific details of where this money is spent. They're allowed for example to simply state "consulting fees" as a lump category, with no further details required. These being public funds generated by means of public resources, eyebrows are obviously raised.

Another issue relates to the "Non-Resident Only" convention raffle permits. A few highly-coveted permits (Zion Sheep, Henry Bison, Wasatch Moose, Nine Mile Sheep, Ogden Goat) are restricted to NON RESIDENT attendees of the Expo. Due to low attendance by NON RESIDENTS, these permits generate poor returns compared to, say, their auction value. For instance the 2 sheep tags sell about 800 chances each to NR attendees. Since rules dictate only one chance per attendee per tag, these highly-coveted permits produce about 4000.00 each in total 'conservation revenue'. The sheep permits would auction for 60,000.00-80,000.00 each or more. Even better....an unrestricted, open-to-everyone raffle would likely generate similar results. If the state wildlife agency is claiming these type of permits are offered to generate funds for wildlife conservation, and then in actual practice they're being raffled off for pennies on the dollar, I can understand the skepticism on the part of hunters and other interested parties.

18-Feb-14
In utah, the seller keeps 10%. The division of wildlife keeps 30%. The remaining 60% can be kept by the organization who auctioned the permit. Those funds must be spent on division of wildlife approved projects. Now.....if you don't live in utah or are not incredibly familiar with hunting in my state, this all sounds great. But if you're familiar with how things are ran, you'd understand that this is having the wolf watch the sheep herd. If all of these efforts were so so great, we'd have a hell of a lot more mule deer than we do. Henry mountains?? Ya....the division touts that as it's greatest accomplishment while I consider it the greatest failure. Until That unit can sustain more hunters, it's a failure. Elk hunting here?? Yeah go kill you a spike or a cow and wait your lifetime for a bull Permit which for many, will never, ever, ever, ever, ever come. Look at the sheep and goats you say?? Ah yes we have gotten rid Of a hell of a lot of moose. Don't have cow moose hunts, have sacrificed hundreds of permits and now we have more sheep units that will NEVER yield as many hunts as they took away. But I guess the more sheep units you have, the more high dollar tags you'll have to sell. To hell with the fact that normal guys were able to do the moose hunts. That's one example of many. So the next time we think if how wonderful SFW is, just remember their mission statement in the very early 90's was to fix the mule deer and to provide great hunting for the hunters. It wasn't, explode the elk, piss on the deer, get lots and lots of sheep and auction tags. It wasn't money and greed.

18-Feb-14
DC,

And his my friend is why I hope I never see the day CO goes 100% draw on elk. All these states with their giant bulls and astronomical draw odds can keep them!

I think it was ol dirty Rob a few years ago who posted the number of permits that go to these conventions. I was absolutely floored by the numbers. I'm all for a few here and there, but you guys have a right to be pissed.

18-Feb-14
I forgot about the $5 per chance tickets. That is a bad deal.

18-Feb-14
Good discussion both ways here. Seems guys are blaming the auctions for the decline in animals in certain areas... not sure I see the correlation.

Ever stop to think maybe the money funneled to these projects helped SLOW the decline of the population? Perhaps it would be that much worse without it.

Regardless, uninformed support or opposition is dangerous. Everyone should dig in for the facts of the matter and not judge the situation upon first glance.

18-Feb-14
Yep...A whole lot of uneducated speculation going on here. Unless you know the facts, please keep speculation to yourself. Uninformed speculation is a huge black eye to otherwise legitimate causes.

18-Feb-14
Kota if you have the data to what is fact and what is fiction please post a link so i can be better informed thanks

18-Feb-14
Looking at it from 30k feet, I will further speculate that it seems as if the Utah DWR has become complacent over the years and just assumed that the third parties (SFW & BGF) would pick up the slack and do the "honorable" thing with the millions of dollars they get in revenue every year.

18-Feb-14
Kota if you have the data to what is fact and what is fiction please post a link so i can be better informed thanks

18-Feb-14
I thought last year someone posted on bowsite something about sfw's money expenses thru a tax filing. In it there wasn't much at all that went towards conservation. It went towards there fund raisers etc.

18-Feb-14
Here is a speculation Prediction-

At some point all "Draws" will be done away with! Replaced by the annual big game tag Auction! All tags go to the highest bidder, No bag limits (so you can buy multiple tags if you want) and all tags are transferable ( so you can resell to those who missed the auction and make more $ or outfitters can acquire tags for clients)

That way states can maximize profit from the resource. Its purely capitalistic to get the the most $ possible from the limited resource (true market value).

18-Feb-14
DConcrete,

Do you know John Bair personally?

18-Feb-14
I guess you guys didn't fallow Randys AKA BigFin posts the last time this came up. Maybe he will chime in.

18-Feb-14
I hope BigFin isn't reading this. I'm pretty sure he had a mild heart attack last year.

I know he attempted to have an all encompasing public debate with Don Peay at SFW but it fell through when the books wouldn't be opened ahead of time for his analysis.

18-Feb-14
The "expo" is complete privatization and commercialization of wildlife and a disgusting violation of the public trust doctrine, and the north american model of wildlife conservation. Makes me want to puke.

18-Feb-14
Let's find the truth out. We deserve it for damn sure.

Cheney said in his speech Saturday night that he agreed to do the speech for an award they planned to give him. He said it in a way that sounded like the award was payment for the speech. It was strange.

18-Feb-14
I've met john a number of times. I hear the same old same old that he's this huge bowhunter and so on and so on. He's a Great auctioneer. I see him around a lot.

18-Feb-14
"I've met john a number of times. I hear the same old same old that he's this huge bowhunter and so on and so on. He's a Great auctioneer. I see him around a lot."

I hear that Pat Lefemine is a huge bowhunter and so on and so on. I hear that hearsay is B.S.

To insinuate that John Bair is getting tags on the sly is laughable. I know John very well and he's a person of incredible character and would never jeopardize what he believes to be the bigger picture of life for an animal tag of any kind. There's 49 other states to live in, maybe they have all the answers that would bring you the very most happiness. As for me, I'm thrilled to live in a state with such diversity and will find satisfaction no matter the circumstances around me. Oh and I'm not a member of SFW.

18-Feb-14
JIMBOW X 2!

I know John as well. He's worked The Sheep Show as an auctioneer the past few years and the last two years he also was our auctioneer at the CA WSF banquet.

John' a first rate auctioneer, yet he charges CA WSF a small fraction his going rate because he's totally into our mission. He puts in lots of volunteer sweat equity hours into wildlife projects.

In the eleven years since CA WSF had its' first fundraiser, I've won a dozen or so guns in the raffles. Why? Luck played a part, no doubt, but I also have probably bought more tickets than anyone else as well.

Last year I was our Master of Ceremonies and was on stage for the raffle drawings. The raffle bins were your typical chicken wire type bins, so everyone could see the tickets.

I saw some young kids in the room, so asked them to come up to draw the tickets. They'd reach in, pull out a ticket, then I'd read the name of the lucky winner. Could anything be cleaner than that? One of our directors won FIVE guns. No one cried 'foul' because there was no question the draw wasn't totally legit. He'd also bought a HUGE number of tickets.

In my experience, the volunteers and directors of these NGOs are likely to buy FAR more raffle tickets than the average person. So to imply the draws were 'rigged' is an affront and an insult to the dedicated and hard-working volunteers who donate so much of their time and money to the organizations they love.

Oh, BTW, the guy who won the five guns at our event last year donated two of them back. Of the dozen or so I've won, I kept exactly TWO and donated all the others back to be auctioned.

18-Feb-14
Moving will not solve the problem in utah it will just pass the the responsibility to those that stay. Few things shouded in secrecy tend to be on the up and up, maybe the sfw is that small %. I sure wish I had your prespective on the glass being half full.

18-Feb-14
"Yep...A whole lot of uneducated speculation going on here. Unless you know the facts, please keep speculation to yourself. Uninformed speculation is a huge black eye to otherwise legitimate causes."

So kota-man-----

Ya gonna give up some of your FACTS?

When you call folk's uneducated ya better bring something to the table other than ignorant statements.

Do you live in Utah??

Are you a member of $cam $FW/BGF??

Do you have a breakdown of your Utah Conservation Tag Purchase to show where all your $$$ went For Wildlife?

Help all of us Uneducated types out here kota-man----

Good luck, Robb

18-Feb-14
So I should move because I question things huh? By your logic abouthalf of America should move to another Country. I have taken the time to meet with leaders of SFW to find out if I'd like to join. And the answer is no. When I've Been told by don peay that bowhunting isn't a Concern what so ever, that pretty much sums it up for me. When I see the current state of opportunity, I'm not too impressed. I've been to the banquets, I've seen the show. I could participate in a lot Of the festivities if I chose too. So I guess I won't be taking your advice any time soon. I'll be moving in about 18 years. But for now, I'll continue pouring 10 foundations a week, make my money and then I'll gladly make you happy and LEAVE. And then you can stare at all the permits you can't draw, all the guys sitting On 40 points. Look around you. Look at the results.

18-Feb-14
This is the system utah uses so you either have to support it from the inside knowing its not prefect but its only current way to support and believe that is how your helping conservation. Or you choose not to support what you consider a sham and know that keeping your dollars keeps it from those who use it to hurt the common utah sportman but have to live with the fact that zero % goes toward conservation. I do not believe there is middle ground on this issue. I do whole heartly agree that education would let people make an informed opinion. That would have to include facts about what money raised and exactly how it was being spent.

18-Feb-14
All I know is that I hope one of my son's or my $5 raffle tickets gets pulled later this week. HA!

19-Feb-14
I have a little more time now to explain a little bit more. In utah, we have a small handful of open bull units to hunt in. The remaining units are the limited entry units. You can kill spikes and cows on an over the counter tag in these units. I believe the book cliffs is the only unit you can't kill a cow in on the general season archery hunt. The way I see it, and many many other see it is this: we can't hunt the "kings" elk. But we the peasants get the bread crumbs (spikes and cows). Utah has a unique set of circumstances. Our deer are hurting very badly. Now jim madsen, ignore that all you want. You're free to believe what you like. Present day book cliffs deer hunting is about as good as my favorite OTC deer unit used to be about 15 years ago. I firmly believe one of the largest contributors to the decline in mule deer is the elk. We aren't like Colorado. The land mass there allows for both to exist more freely so to speak. The San Juan is a great example of elk and deer. It's phenominal deer habitat and the elk ridge side is limited entry deer. It's also the famous elk unit. Why are the deer suffering so badly? The book cliffs is another example. The last 5-8 years, the elk have exploded. The deer have declined. Why has the DWR worked so feverishly to make sure the few elk on the henries get wiped out, yet won't discuss elk impact On mule deer? Elk tags fetch mega dollars. The focus has completely gone away from the mule deer and right to growing trophy bull elk. The simple fact is, high dollar is the simple explanation for Utah's model of wildlife management. Contrast that with Arizona......they have far fewer elk than utah does. And I may be wrong, but last I knew, they issued more bull tags and their numbers are big bulls still out numbers Utah's. If we weren't killing spikes, we could do the same thing. Move people through the point system. Point creep is so bad in utah, so many people will never get the chance to hunt big bulls. That's a simple fact. And JIMBOW, you may be able to find satisfaction in that but I DO NOT. In roughly 5-10 years, you'll see the public perception shift. I truly do not care how well you know john bair. Everything is not on the up and up with SFW. Time to pull your head out of the sand.

19-Feb-14
Oh and btw Kyle.....to address what you said about these guys that volunteer buying far more raffle tags....you forgot to mention that in the tag raffle, you CAN'T enter your name more than once. 5 bucks and that's it. Can't put your name in 100 times On the tag raffle.

19-Feb-14
DConcrete,

My support of John has nothing to do with SFW. That's an entirely different issue and one that I do not have enough data to comment on one way or another.

I was merely noting that I in no way believe the raffles and drawings are rigged.

19-Feb-14
Just to clear up things a bit here on what all these tags are -

Conservation Tags - 90% of the auction price goes to the DWR. 10% to the "organization" auctioning it off. There are 400+ of these tags given out in Utah each year.

Expo Tags - $5 per tag - 100% of this goes to the "organization(s)" running the expo. Then the tag price is charged to each winner of this raffle. 100% of that tag fee goes to the DWR. There are 200 or so of these each year. They were claimed to have been taken from the NR LE and OIL pool, but if you actually go look at the ratio of draw tags on any unit, NR average higher than their allotted 10%. They were never taken from that pool, but plucked out of thin air.

Landowner Permits - These are the unspoken backhander to the landowners to account for "depredation" of the states resource that spends portions of the year on their property. A number of these are donated back to the leading "organization" by landowner associations, to be auctioned off at the "organization(s)" banquets. 100% of this goes to "organization" doing the auction. I've never seen a detailed accounting of these tags and exactly how many of them are given out every year.

John's a nice enough guy, but the idea that the former president of the very "organization" putting on the expo could even be allowed to put in for the tags, much less be lucky enough to draw one of the states most coveted tags is so laughable it's unbelievable.

Welcome to crony capitalism at it's finest :(

...and no I won't say cheers to that

19-Feb-14
DConcrete and Pete hit it accurately.

This expo was started with 5 orgs pushing for these tags back in 05. Two left pretty much immediately and the sheep crew just kind of phased out.

Until about a year ago there had been no audit of where the monies from the app fees for these tags went. Probably to pay for a guy like Dick to go over wingshooting etiquette and to pay Troy Gentry ( thats right the same scumbag that arrowed a trained pet bear and tried to pass it off as fair chase )for their appearances. Anyway a year or so back UWC pushed for an accounting of where these public dollars were being used. MDF as the contract holder on the permits would have none of it, while their contract was still valid, but did agree to sit down with the DWR, SFW and UWC to see if satisfaction could be found. I suspect that portions of these funds were used to lobby legislator's for the multiple $300k grants given to SFW/BGF with no strings. Used to restrict angler access to water and also host meetings that further push the trophy, high success / low opportunity method of doling out permits preferred by SFW.

Personally I have no issues with Bair, I believe he's an honorable dude. He's never told me what I wanted to hear. The other portions of SFW I don't feel the same. I was burned by them on the elk committee and also lost statewide archery and AR-301 to this group. If they are all for promoting hunting the probably ought to quit supporting things that take sportsmen out of the field.

most hunters will focus on the convention / conservation tags, while these are a crock of crap please don't lose sight of the fact that ALL big game management decisions are made to guarantee the highest return possible for these permits. I sat in a meeting where Jim Karpowitz then DWR Director made a comment about turning Utah's elk in to a Walmart instead of staying at a Nordstrom level.

fire away

balls enough for old times there Rob my former friend?

19-Feb-14
gbell,

1. The 'sheep crew,'if you're referring to WSF, had ZERO role in the creation of these Utah tags. None! That stuff was in place before we were ever went to SLC.

2. The 'sheep crew' in no way 'phased out.' We pulled out of the Expo for two reasons: We were bringing in 70% of the exhibitors and not beginning to get a reasonable split on the revenue in return, plus; our members did NOT want to go to Salt Lake for the convention. Downtown SLC pretty much shuts down at 5:00 every evening. Our exhibitors and members wanted to party at the end of the day. Nice city, but not at all a good fit for us.

19-Feb-14
FNAWS, NVA. Aka Ryan Foutz.

19-Feb-14
If you believe in the north american model of game owned and hunted by "the people", the widespread auctioning of tags is highly questionable. Basically if you have enough money you automatically go to the head of the line - you can hunt whatever species you want every year. $305K for a mule deer tag??? Not to mention the army of employed serfs that will be scouring the area for the ultimate trophy animal. Sounds like the European model.

Agree that there needs to be a LOT more information about the benefits accruing from these practices. Why not publicize the raffles and generate income by having lots of hunters submit modest amounts for a chance to draw one of those tages? IMO far too many tags go this way.

19-Feb-14
"The drawing for the 200 $5 hunts is currently underway" Check back later this week for a list of the LUCKY hunters who are successful in the drawing.

I would be interested to see their method of drawing the lucky bastards.

19-Feb-14
c3 has it right. I will just ad that the landowner tags are more often bought by SFW,rather than donated to,and then resold at banquets. SFW usually buys and resells all the Pausaugunt landowner tags. Nobodys even metioned CWMU's. I will bet more than half the limited entry elk tags in Utah are sold not drawn. Just plain wrong.

19-Feb-14
gbell,

I you have a cogent response, along with FACTS, please post them here.

19-Feb-14
From the Archives NVA. This was an email from a RAC Chair.

"Attached is the draft rule as it existed before going to the RACs. I would expect that there have been some (minor) changes as it went thru that process.

I think your review will quickly and absolutely identify that there is no "highest bidder" methodology allowed. Also that the cost to the individual to apply for a hunt is identical to that of the regular drawing.

Re: The statement that "... several of these groups have stated they want nothing to do with this proposal or convention", suggest you call - and talk to:

FNAWS - Ryan Foutz NWTF - Jon Leonard MDF - Tony Abbott RMEF - Bill Christensen SFW - Don Peay

All but Tony Abbott were at our RAC meeting last Wed. I personally heard Tony Abbott speak in support of the convention a couple of months ago. He has not spoken out or emailed that he has changed his mind."

These were the Original 5 that pushed this fiasco through.

If you need any more facts lemme know.

19-Feb-14
gbell,

Don Peay has not been on the WSF board since 4/30/2007.

I was not on the board until 5/1/2007, AFTER the decision to partner with MDF and SFW at the WCHE had already been agreed to and finalized.

You might want to be sure of your target before dropping the string.

While Mr. Peay was on the WSF board when SFW pushed the tag-draw thing through the UT legislature, he did so wholly as a representative of SFW, not WSF. WSF had no role in doing that. You might also note that WSF left the WCHE as soon as their three-year contract expired.

19-Feb-14
Haven't mentioned Don's name with sheep. However this will be the third time that I will State it was Ryan Foutz representing FNAWS Through the 2005 RAC process where these tags were Awarded.

20-Feb-14
'balls enough for old times there Rob my former friend?"

And I am thankful to my former friend of BOU! (Bowhunters Of Utah)

Kyle--ya think I can be a MO-FO when it comes to facts and cut-n-paste....

gbell was my mentor-----

Peay to Play used everyone---including our beloved WSF---$$$$$$$$$$

Good luck, Robb

20-Feb-14
I need to convince myself that this draw is rigged, yet I keep falling for it. I know a guy that drew tags 2 consecutive years. They were not the greatest tags, but still back to back limited tags for rifle has astronomically low odds, yet "happened". We'll see tomorrow if he makes it 3.

21-Feb-14
Ben, I know a kid that's drawn a couple of these tags. The kid is a saint that I'm sure wouldn't take part in any Shenanigans.

I finally had time to drop back and read this entire Thread. For the love of God NVA, please don't try and Pass this off as a hunt. 26000 acres are hunted, the island Is as bald as the top of my head, add a spotter and guide With radios to the mix with a custom design .30 Cal high powered rifle and the animal has no advantage.

This shoot is what it is. A way for a rich dude to add a new Set of big antlers to the wall.

27-Feb-14
Im reading all this. I watched the speech. From an old home boy looking in. With no personal opinion of anyone..This seems like a bunch of folks flexing their egos to show how much money they can spend..To do nothing more then rub shoulders with the elite. I honestly don't think the harvesting of an animal is as important as their social prowess. LOOK WHAT I DID.?/ LOOK HOW MUCH I SPENT.. LOOK HOW BIG MINE IS>. Like I said,I don't want to discredit anyone.. To each there own. However when I win the lotto, I will spend the money someplace els.

20-Apr-14
I always wondered why UT residents put up with the percentage of permits that get pulled out of public drawings. It's like you guys have no say whatsoever in what your dept and commission does.

For years I have been expecting you guys to (figuratively) burn their HQ down. But it seems to get worse. When I drew a paunsagaunt archery deer tag in 2011 I looked at a list of all the private and conservation permits there and I was shocked.

20-Apr-14
We Utah residents dont even seem to notice anymore. The Dwr has recomended a 9 tag increase on the Pauns for the general public this year. The unit has hit the 3 year age class trigger to warrent the 9 tag increase. The 9 tags are going away due to influence of people that profit from the deer on the Pauns.

20-Apr-14
A big reason why residents haven't thrown a fit is that conservation tags came from the NR quota. A fair number go back to residents in one way or another.

You're right though, the average hunter in UT has no say in what the DWR is doing. SFW is pulling the strings from every angle and that ain't about to change.

Between SFW and the state trying to get rid of all Federal land management within its borders, UT is leading the way back to the Robin Hood era of game management, i.e. Wealth & Privilege = Hunting Rights

If they state succeeds at kicking the BLM and FS out, I won't be surprised if within a couple of decades the allocations will be reversed: Most tags will be auctioned and a few hundred will be set aside to be raffled among the peasants.

20-Apr-14
"Nick Jaramillo from Colorado

Goes by the handle "NickJ1980"

I certainly hope your unemployment checks continue and that you get to spend some time on the Utah State Big Game site so that you can increase the value of your post's in the future as it is obvious your Reefer Legal mind set is not really of any factual presentation.

Happy Easter 'Alaskan Gold'----cough--cough---

Good Luck, Robb

20-Apr-14
Robb Facer from Utah - My opinion on the trends in Utah seems to have put you on the defensive - why? Growing up in a rural Utah Mormon community, I don't know much about dope or unemployment, but I concede you have me beat in the categories of intellectual bankruptcy and ignorant generalizations. Congrats?

21-Apr-14
"Yep...A whole lot of uneducated speculation going on here. Unless you know the facts, please keep speculation to yourself. Uninformed speculation is a huge black eye to otherwise legitimate causes."

Uhhhhh, speculation? SFW is by far the most scandalous wildlife org in the western US. They have been leaving a laundry list of scandals & corruption wherever they go for 15 years.

These articles include many facts and details. Some of these are the ones I used in my appeal to KTVK to get the media coverage that kept this Utah BS model out of Arizona in 2012. SFW leaves no shortage of dirt in their wake. Take your pick:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arizona-Sportsmen-Against-Hb-2072/274702462612489

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/us/auctions-introduce-market-forces-to-conservation-but-hunters-cry-foul.html?smid=pl-share&_r=1&

http://missoulian.com/news/opinion/columnists/group-seeking-privatized-wildlife-spreading-misinformation/article_dfb5fe10-8570-11e1-99d1-0019bb2963f4.html

http://missoulian.com/news/opinion/columnists/group-seeking-privatized-wildlife-spreading-misinformation/article_dfb5fe10-8570-11e1-99d1-0019bb2963f4.html

http://www.mtbullypulpit.org/2012/06/pox-on-fox.html

http://www.montanasportsmenalliance.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/NRA-press-release.pdf

http://www.azgfc.org/readme.htm

http://www.azfamily.com/news/cruz/?more=y&c=y

http://www.hcn.org/blogs/range/sportsmen-stab-theodore-roosevelt-in-the-back

21-Apr-14
'intellectual bankruptcy and ignorant generalizations'

Good one!! haha I may borrow 'em!

Good luck, Robb

21-Apr-14
"c3 has it right. I will just ad that the landowner tags are more often bought by SFW,rather than donated to,and then resold at banquets. SFW usually buys and resells all the Pausaugunt landowner tags. Nobodys even metioned CWMU's. I will bet more than half the limited entry elk tags in Utah are sold not drawn. Just plain wrong."

Last year I calculated the number of Pauns archery deer tags that ended up on the auction block and I stopped counting at 87%. There are likely even more than that. I counted all the ones that were advertised publicly.

• Sitka Gear