Contributors to this thread:
Whip 20-Feb-14
realunlucky 20-Feb-14
DConcrete 20-Feb-14
Beendare 20-Feb-14
Whip 20-Feb-14
Beendare 20-Feb-14
20-Feb-14
My buddy and I think we have a chance of drawing a tag for the Utah Book Cliffs this year. I have never been in that unit, and have a question for those that have hunted it. From what I can figure out, the way to access the area is from the north. What are the roads like that lead into the best hunting grounds during the archery season? How long is the drive to the nearest town with services?

The reason I ask is that I am wondering if it might be a place I would consider bringing my wife along, but that would likely mean pulling a nice travel trailer. I wouldn't want to pull that thing over 50 miles of washboard or rutted up roads.

Or is this a remote and rugged unit to access the decent hunting? Might it be best to leave the travel trailer (and probably wife) at home? We would be burning a lot of points if we do this hunt, and want to make sure we do it right to have a good chance at some nice deer.

20-Feb-14
Road is rough bring two spares. You can get your trailer in there but it can really be hell on tires

20-Feb-14
Actually the roads been paved. It's damn near paved to monument ridge. I have a 28' 5th wheel that I pulled out there. I pulled doubles. Had my trailer and my 4 wheeler trailer, 16' flatbed. Pm me if you want info.

20-Feb-14

Deserve2BeWorked 's embedded Photo
Best access up Hay Canyon from the south. Good road. All supplies at Green River Utah or Grand Junction Colorado. My wife loved our three week stay in the Books. A magical wonderful area.

20-Feb-14

20-Feb-14

20-Feb-14
You are talking the north section... The roadless is pretty cool too. I spent 16 days in there many years ago towing a couple of horses with pack saddles around.

One of the best elk hunts I've done

20-Feb-14
I really don't know much about the unit at all other than it holds some good deer hunting and that we finally have enough points to give us a decent chance to draw.

We sure have a lot to learn yet, and with as long as it takes to get a tag want to make the best of it. If trying to bring a travel trailer might hinder the hunting, then we'd rather not bring it. But it sounds like there are some decent roads into the area? And some good hunting available in the roaded areas?

The roadless area sounds cool, but if the wife is going to come that would rule that out. Is that a mistake?

20-Feb-14
From my perspective, the roadless is better elk country and the roadbed better deer country. It well known that it has lots of bucks just not monsters... But who wants to die on the wait list for the Henry's?

• Sitka Gear