Buffalo_county 25-Feb-14
BOHNTR 25-Feb-14
MathewsMan 25-Feb-14
Teeton 25-Feb-14
speedgoat 25-Feb-14
TEmbry 25-Feb-14
moleshaver 27-Feb-14
20-Feb-14
Hey guys. I've got 10 points for nr mulies this year. I haven't been out in several years. I used to hunt elk in 55 and down around pagosa springs. Saw some great bucks at timberline in 55.

Here's my issues: I've got a terrible back problem that might prohibit me from the really rough terrain. I have a 9 year old with Type 1 diabetes and I'm her primary caretaker so I can't go out and stay very long. Five or six days total is about my limit.

I always bowhunted in the past but given my time constraint would consider a ml hunt or maybe even a rifle. I don't mind going thru an outfitter if its reasonable.

Does anyone have a unit/hunt suggestion for ten points, limited time, not too rough a terrain, and a decent buck? Or an outfitter?

20-Feb-14
Find a good 4th season rifle hunt. I only bowhunt so I have no suggestions on where.

21-Feb-14
Look at some of the eastern plains units... Should be able to draw most archery hunts with 10 points and the terrain is easy enough. Outfitters should always be reasonable, dates are incredibly flexible, and the potential for a good to great buck is really good. Good luck and sorry to hear about both your back and daughter.

21-Feb-14
If you do look at the eastern plains, check out Atkinson Expeditions, one of the Bowsite sponsors.

21-Feb-14
There are some decent muzzleloading units that would not be too tough of terrain that can be had and some 3rd and 4th season rifle seasons.

21-Feb-14
Same as speedgoat. Look at the eastern plains with Atkinson. I have 12 pp's as a resident and can't figure out where I want to go. Bob.

21-Feb-14
Plains and you can get it done with the bow! Good luck!

22-Feb-14
If you go with Atkinson just make sure it's not a drought year...we struggled 2 years in a row with them. In 2011 we went 1 for 3 (although we easily could have gotten lucky and went 3 for 3 - one guy missed a couple of shots and I stuck one in the back-strap at 60 yards but we didn't really blow any "slam dunks") and in 2012 we went 0 for 3. Biggest problem was no cover for stalking in 2012. If you're going to go with Atkinson make sure you go with Jeremy Fiscus as your guide - he's been killing really good bucks the last few years, that was our mistake, we went with their Limon location and should have gone with the Sterling/Ft. Morgan area. Jeremy has some absolute giants figured out most years.

23-Feb-14
Huntingbob, how does a resident get 12 points? Hope you have been drawing some killer 2nd choice tags.

23-Feb-14
Huntingbob, how does a resident get 12 points? Hope you have been drawing some killer 2nd choice tags.

23-Feb-14

23-Feb-14
I have 9 resident points.

24-Feb-14
I've got 8 resi points and hunt the eastern plains fro muleys every year...

24-Feb-14
Chuck it is easy. Apply for a PP and get a leftover. Been doing that and will get my 13th this year. Originally wanted to hunt the Hill Ranch on the RFW program but not sure I want to wait another 5 plus years and not being sure of where I can hunt vs where paying hunters get to hunt. I have heard some stories and they are just that. I have not myself talked to anyone that has done the 1 tag they offer on the RFW program so I cannot offer any advice on what that hunt is like. I am however gonna try a different leftover tag this year and see how that works out. Bob.

25-Feb-14
Sent you a PM.

25-Feb-14
I am hunting unit 95 this year. Rifle in early december. I have 6 points.

25-Feb-14
Way to many points to have for CO, IMO. A bowhunter should really never have more than 1, and many times zero, as there are numerous quality units you can hunt without them. JMO

25-Feb-14
I'm in the best place I've been in years. Zero PP on all species except elk (19). There is a lot of flexibility in not having a lot of points, and it is nice to have recently filled all those tags.

25-Feb-14
I've got I think 14 points as a nonres. Just starting to think about using them.. But where?? I'd like to find someone that I can hunt with and has got about the same experience and time as me.. I've done many of diy backpack hunts for elk, about 20 or so.. I've seen a few nice deer on them hunts. But never had a tag. I even play stalk a 30 + - deer once. I did kill a muledeer back when tags were still otc. Would like the hunt to be diy, backpack, and about 2 weeks long.. With saving up that many points I'd like it to be for a chance at a good quality deer..

Also got the same number of points for lopes and elk.. Was going to burn the points for lope this year but decided to do elk again.. For lope I was thinking of again diy and one of the 1,2 or 201 units. For elk with some of the tags going to land owners, I think next year. I don't think 14, 15, or 16 points is going to get a nonres anyplace.. Teeton

25-Feb-14
huntingbob, I do the 2nd choice tags on years when I can not draw the units I want. It allows me to hunt every year and keep my skills sharp while still having an outside chance at some really good deer. With the quality of some units in Colorado, I am surprised you could hold out that long.

25-Feb-14
I'm at 5 for deer and already wishing I didn't have this many, lol. That said, looks like I may have to eat my plans for this years hunt and apply for a point yet again. Too many irons in the fire for one fall currently.

27-Feb-14
I've got some friends that hunt 52 and 411 every year. Must be along the border of both. They showed me some very impressive past kills. Mostly bow kills too. Anyone know anything about these units? They invited me to tag along but I wanted to do my own homework first. They hunt first class in cabins nicer than my house. I'm happy if my tarp doesn't leak. A weeks cabin rent would nearly hire a guide!

• Sitka Gear