mixed bag 10-Mar-14
Blacktail Bob 11-Mar-14
Eric B. 21-Mar-14
juneaulongbow 21-Mar-14
Nick Muche 22-Mar-14
jkoenig04 22-Mar-14
juneaulongbow 22-Mar-14
07-Mar-14
I just booked a cabin with some friends for a POW blacktail hunt in Sept.I'm thinking I'll have to go high to hunt.But, what are my odds with a bow there for anyones whos hunted it before??I'll be gun hunting for my 1st blacktail but would really like to switch to my bow for #2 if its worth trying.never been to the island so have no idea about the cover there needed for stalks.If its not realistic, I'd rather not bring the extra baggage,but I'd like to hear from people who hunted it their opinion Thanks

07-Mar-14
We have taken many Sitka via Bow over the years. They are totally stalk-able.

Most cabins are better suited for Fishing or Black Bear hunting.

Which cabin and what part of Sept. Sept timing is very important.

You are correct in that mountain climbing will be required. Backpack tent camping is the best way to get that done. Climbing up for a day hunt is usually very difficult, unless you already know the route.

07-Mar-14
Another gun hunting, bow hunter...Blah!

;-)

07-Mar-14
Sitkas are a hoot to chase with a bow. I hunted Kodiak which is much more open than POW, but rifle hunting would have made it pretty simple. Weather will be the limiting factor on a hunt like this. Getting fogged/rained in constantly will prevent you from spotting the animals as easily as on sunny days. Once a buck is spotted, it is extremely simple to get into rifle range from what I have gathered. I've bear hunted POW and deer hunted Kodiak. Can't wait to return for both!

07-Mar-14
Hunting from sept 14-20.I'm considering bringing my tent to camp up top a few nights

07-Mar-14
That time in Sept during normal years (if there is any such thing) is pushing weather. Like Tembry says weather is key.

Camp equip up means a very heavy load down, if successful, when making it in one load. Flagging tape & GPS that works in wet weather and under heavy cover of forest canopy is very important.

Once the bucks loose their velvet, in late Aug / early Sept they start to move from the alpine tops into the upper transition forest ... sometimes making for a hard hunt. The forest is think and the leaves are still on ... making it advantage Wolf and the Deer are on high alert. Also some Bear are satiated on fish and have moved into the alpine to fish up on the last of the berries .. where the Bear are the Deer won't be.

08-Mar-14
Is there deer movement throughout the day up top.I imagine its a tough hike and best started at first light if I'm going up each day instead of camping.How long of a hike are we talking;in general,to get up high

08-Mar-14

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

Depends on how in shape you are.

08-Mar-14
I plan on about 3 hours to the top .... when I was young and in very good shape.

Go up by headlamp and even if you get a deer down in early afternoon you will be in the dark before you see a road again. That was via known well marked trails.

Some days you go thru that only to get fogged out 00 visibility on top. But some days it works.

08-Mar-14
Any recommendations for good maps of the island so I can start finding trails near where I'll be staying

08-Mar-14

Crazy_8s's embedded Photo
Crazy_8s's embedded Photo
Here's the one I have. Not sure if there's a more current one.

08-Mar-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
I chased them last aug if the fog rolls in u cant move for fear of falling of the cliffs

08-Mar-14
You're better off going to Kodiak if your going to rifle it....More open !

08-Mar-14
City hunter, did you camp up high or walk up each day??

08-Mar-14
There are no established Forest Service trails that go up to the top. You must scout out and make your own route. You might find someones flag line they have or are using.

Once you find the way to the top do not try a shortcut on the way back down ... come down the way you went up.

Some mountains are not as steep and rugged as others. Some old logging roads will get you started from a little higher or inland a little as opposed to hiking from a sea-level beach.

08-Mar-14

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
The only route here is up and over the top. No way to the right or left of the peak, you get cliffed out.

Taylor & Brian went just above the snow field and up thru the rocks. Very steep and slow ... took over 2 hours with heavy loads to get from this spot to the top. They didn't make it back to high tent camp till like 10pm that night.

09-Mar-14
Keep this thread going. I'll be there this August... hunting from a yacht and hiking up from the beach for a few days at a time. More pics please... Ed F

09-Mar-14
mixed bag I stayed up on top no way could u hike in the dark get up and hunt and get back down in a day and then expect to do this day after day ,, Look at the pic Muskeg posted its more like a goat hunt . Its best to stay on top for few ... Ed a yacht lucky u . good luck guys they are a great deer for bow !!!

09-Mar-14
Yeah I need to see more pics and get a better feel for what I'm up against.Looks like its time to get my butt on the treadmill and start strengthening my legs.I think I'll try and spike up top for 3 days and see what happens What were deer numbers like last year??I heard that they are doing good again but would like your opinion.Sounds like I'll be elk hunting the blacktails.Is there good daytime movement?? Thanks guys you have been very helpful!!!!

09-Mar-14

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
One of my Guide partners, Bobby, glassing ... Notice Cork boots. I wear em.

The Deer had dropped down into the upper timber making for a hard hunt.

09-Mar-14

09-Mar-14
mixed .... in your opening post you said ...

"but I'd like to hear from people who hunted it their opinion Thanks"

You probably won't get much reply from those who have hunted Sept on a DIY POW deer hunt. Aug hunting and Nov hunting is when most non-resident DIY hunters come to the Island. And even then, not very many non-resident DIY hunters hunt anywhere in SE Ak for Deer.

Of the 2500 to 3000 Deer tagged on POW Island per year, only a very small percentage is non-resident hunters, Guided or UnGuided.

09-Mar-14

09-Mar-14

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
A rare September (sunny) day on the POW Island mountain tops ....

09-Mar-14

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
Mike's September mountain buck .....

09-Mar-14
muskeg, should I be concentrating on the timber by the tops during mid Sept??or do I have to get in the timber to be successful then??That place is WAY steeper then I imagined.Looks like a blacktail will be a well earned trophy from there

09-Mar-14
muskeg great deer I went in aug we hiked and hiked and more hiking. LOL Befoe I went I asked Bigdan how many tags should I have he said one I asked one !!!! he said no way can u carry more then one down he was correct.

They also are very good eating deer

09-Mar-14
The best meat you can get ... and one buck has usually been an overload for me.

There is no way to tell in advance what Sept will bring. Cold rains below could even mean early snows across the tops in mid Sept.

It is obvious when they ain't on top as it is visual. The trails will be well worn at what elevation you should concentrate in.

09-Mar-14
I'm loving all these pics! Can't wait to return to POW some day...

09-Mar-14

I've never hunted deer, anywhere, that it took 9 days to have a shot opportunity. That being said, I'm doing all I can to head back to POW soon.

09-Mar-14

09-Mar-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

09-Mar-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

09-Mar-14
Love the pics! Looking forward to August!!

09-Mar-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

10-Mar-14
Very helpful thread for me.I do appreciate it.Looks like I need some GOOD rain gear and was that "cork bottom boots"??Never heard of them. I did a caribou hunt last year and walking in the tundra grass is unbelievably difficult.is the walking as difficult there?? Is there a decent trail system on POW?I definitely need to order a map and see where the cabins located and start looking over google earth a little to.To be honest, I thought it would be a relatively easy hunt.Now I know I got some real work ahead of me so I'm am very glad I made the post and you guys are helping

10-Mar-14
"I thought it would be a relatively easy hunt."

Me too... I will say this, I didn't hunt the early season when the deer are concentrated mainly up high but I did hunt when I figured I'd see plenty of deer in search of doe's. All things being equal, the PnY buck that I killed came in on a string and stared at me from less than 30 yards away while I drew back and released an arrow.

I meant it when I said I want to go back. POW is a diamond in the rough. A very incredible place. Wouldn't go without a bear tag, the bear we awoke from a mid days nap was easily the biggest blackie I've ever seen.

Enjoy your hunt, but bring the best rain gear you can find and plan for a tough hunt.

Mine was on my own, never been to the island before. Maybe that's why we saw so few deer, but I highly doubt it. It's a thick, steep and weather related nightmare :)

Not trying to make this hunt sound difficult, just saying we earned it and I wouldn't have it any other way.

10-Mar-14
Go to Hoffmanboots.com and look at the leather logger boots. Many local hunters wear Corks. I require them for my Mt Goat hunters. I have had repeat deer hunters that got em when they came back for an Island hunt.

There are very few constructed trails on the Island. I think there are a few for fishermen.

You can order the map from the USFS.

You could be lucky and be driving down the road and a nice Buck could be standing there ... that would be easy. But it doesn't really happen that often.

10-Mar-14
Ok, I have reserved comment on this thread, mainly because I don't feel one trip makes me any kind of an expert. But I guess I will throw in my 2 cents. Most has been covered, weather can (will) be tough, bring good rain gear, don't skimp here, seriously! The lower parts are very thick/dense, the high country is very difficult to access, I see no way to effectively "day hunt" it. Roads are good, but really need to get off them to hunt. It is spectacularly beautiful.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and it has been eluded to, but I think probably not emphatically enough. Your dates suck! If there is any way you can change them you should. Period. You should be there eather August when they are a bit concentrated in the high country (where you can see them too). Or first week of November (rut) when you can call them. Anything in between will be very difficult, VERY difficult, even with a rifle. I think (as mentioned) Kodiak is maybe more the experience you are looking for.

Not trying to scare you off or anything, and I would be glad to help you out with how we hunted (good and bad), but I really think you are gonna be in trouble with those dates. I am certainly not an expert, but I do consider Muskeg and Bigdan to be. I went with Nick last Nov, and would have also had a P&Y buck if I wouldn't have choked on the slam dunk shot. Yes, I straight up choked, totally my fault and still relive the senerio! I guess it gives me a good reason to go back though, not as though I need one...

Good luck whatever you do! --Jim

10-Mar-14
Actually I only consider the early and mid part of October the hard hunt. And I have over the years taken Bucks then also.

I love Sept alpine hunting. Cooler weather and fewer bugs. Hard antlers.

Early August they are still developing antlers .. all in velvet, Many still bloody and knobby. The bugs are bad, sometime very bad. Days are long and can be hot. Late Aug into the first of Sept they shed the velvet, days are getting shorter and the bugs have cycled out. The large Bachelor groups break up and the Deer move in and out of the upper transition zones. Mid to late Sept the Bucks are still high up but are feeding more under upper forest where it is lush green, still can be spotted in the open alpine. Late Sept and into Oct they start into the pre-rut stage, saving energy for whats to come. Leave the alpine (mostly) and move into the upper forest. Advantage Wolf because the leaves are on and vision is bad and they are on high alert. During the last week of Oct the rut tendencies kick in. Hunting becomes good. From then to early Dec is good rut type hunting. The leaves drop and under forest canopy gets visable. High mountain hunts still can be very productive. Not all bucks move to the valley bottoms during rut. There are plenty of mountain Doe to keep their interest up in the upper zone. Even in deep snow. During the first week of Dec some Bucks atart shedding their antlers. Some hunters hunt till the last of Dec. My opinion Dec meat quality is the worst.

This is the 3rd very mild winter in a row. Run down rut Bucks were not killed by weather. There has been lots of Black Bear killed in recent past and the Wolf boys on the Island have taken lots of Wolf.

Hunting on the Island last season and probably this coming season is about as good as it ever gets. Deer density is probably bordering on max-capacity.

10-Mar-14
Muskeg, is trails the only way to the top??Another guy told me to look for logging road access up top.Thank God, you said mid-sept was still good time to hunt.If you were me, would you be using binos,spotter in the alpine or get on some trails and sit in the high forest??If your a guide could you pm me your guide fees.May be a good idea for me.Super glad to hear the deer are plentiful at least.Looking forward to a good time either way can I shoot a wolf if I see one there??

10-Mar-14
Mixed ...I have PM'd you ... Wolf season is only open in winter in conjunction with trapping season dates.

There are a few logging roads that will get you started from a little higher up. Roads were built for logging and are mostly in the bottom lands where the best timber is. There are a few passes that are higher elevation roads. Remember POW is a very large Island.

Bino's are a must, even when hunting in the jungle.

You can go to my website at muskegexcursions.com ... I have been a Bowsite sponsor since almost the very beginning of the Bowsite.

But also you must take into account the posts and discussions above. The popular parts of the seasons with non-Island residents are August and 'rut' hunting. For reasons. Like I posted there are pros and cons to the whole season from August 1st to December 31st.

10-Mar-14
unfortunately, I can't change the dates.I was invited along to hunt with them.They have bear tags,not me.Only other option would be to forget the hunt and go to Co. for elk.think I'll take my chances and hunt.And am listening to everything you guys are saying.Just hope I can find a few strgglers in the alpine.if not I'll sit some trails or still hunt.I'll definitely hunt my butt off to get one then enjoy some fishing I'm listening to any tips your willing to put out there.This is a new hunt to me and though I don't have great dates theres got to be a way to still b successful

11-Mar-14

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
I wouldn't go to POW for a Sitka hunt, it sucks. Its an easy hunt and easy to get around the mountains are covered with other hunters from August to December. You don't have to be in shape and there are well groomed trails with nice rest stops just about everywhere. The weather is warm and sunny most of the time such that any gear you'd use in Arizona, Texas or New Mexico will work just fine.

Other than those comments, I'd agree with Treeman who appears to be a very fast learner.

21-Mar-14
Bob, you crack me up !

21-Mar-14
I had success on Admiralty and places around Juneau. Try blowing a call.

22-Mar-14

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
"Try blowing a call."

We huffed and we puffed until the house fell down...for 8 days. Then, on day nine we did it again. I bleated the buck I shot into range with a can call. After walking back to the truck and waiting for Jim, a few fellas showed up who planned on hunting the area. They offered to help me with the deer, not needed but a nice gesture. As I was field dressing my deer they were calling... Out of nowhere came a doe and she ran up to me within 15-20 feet! Either way, it worked...

Later that day, Jim called in two other bucks the same way. We had been doing it off and on all week and it didn't seem to work. In hindsight, I think we found that you have to keep on blowing, longer than one would think... I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that was our mistake.

I'd go back with confidence and plans are in the works to head to POW next fall.

22-Mar-14
Holy crap... is that Black Tail Bob in full camo?!?!

- Julius K

22-Mar-14
We made our calls out of a block of wood. Slice in half and hollow it out a little and cut a groove to fit a large rubber band in. Then use the rubber band to hold the two pieces together.

I had a doe so close once I could've smacked her on the butt but I had the video camera. Got lucky and never called in any Brownies.

• Sitka Gear