Florida Mike 20-Mar-14
Shug 20-Mar-14
LKH 21-Mar-14
Blacktail Bob 21-Mar-14
Shug 21-Mar-14
Nick Muche 21-Mar-14
Blacktail Bob 21-Mar-14
20-Mar-14
I'm looking to do a Sitka BT hunt this fall.The last two years have been tough on me physically ( back surgeries knee problems) but I'm working on getting back into better condition..my question is where is the "easiest" place to hunt them?

I'm not opposed to being flown in somewhere to make it happen.

As of right now I get along OK I can hike and climb as long as I take my time and watch my footing.

Would I be better off doing a boat hunt later in the year when the deer should be at lower elevations?

Thanks...Mark

20-Mar-14
I did an early Aug fly-in Kodiak hunt and it was physically demanding. However the weather was great and the hunting awesome!

20-Mar-14
I did the Kodiak Island hunt a few years ago for blacktails. You better be in good shape for that hunt! Those tag alder thickets are killers. Saw a bazillion deer, though.

Darren

20-Mar-14
Thanks John. ..I should have mentioned I want to do a late hunt I love those dark capes..

20-Mar-14
I would think you need to talk to Blacktail Bob. He has cabins for rent and he has killed more deer than smallpox. Mike

20-Mar-14
Will do...ty

21-Mar-14
Bob has a cabin in the south of Kodiak. That country has some hills, but they are not that bad and the brush isn't too bad either. The Olga Bay/Red Lake area should be fine for you to handle but I don't know if the deer have recovered enough from some bad winters. Bob would have a better Idea.

21-Mar-14

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
There were plenty of deer where Larry suggested in 2013. I was just out there on my goat hunt and saw plenty of deer then too. This winter has been so mild the deer should be in great shape the fall of 2014.

I still don't have the Kodiak cabin ready for a hunter yet though, so you'd be best to tent camp right where Larry suggested.

21-Mar-14
Thanks guys.. Any chance it will be done for 2015? I would be heading from the east coast so bringing tent cots pads etc. Would be tougher than just waiting a year...Do you think POW is an option?

21-Mar-14

Nick Muche's Link
POW info and a great pic of Bob with blue gloves :)

21-Mar-14

I'm hoping it'll be finished this summer. All my building material is in warehouse in the City of Kodiak. I just need some cooperation on getting it to the site.

• Sitka Gear