SDHNTR(home) 26-Mar-14
jtelarkin08 26-Mar-14
jtelarkin08 26-Mar-14
Mad Trapper 27-Mar-14
dmandoes 27-Mar-14
otcWill 27-Mar-14
26-Mar-14
Colorado or Wyoming??

What state would you try to draw a elk tag with 2-3 points?? What one would you hold off and save all your points for the next _# of years??

Same with deer?? would you be better drawing a unit in one state with 2-3 points?? And saving your points in the other??

26-Mar-14
Save CO, draw as often as possible with WY.

Just wait, someone will disagree. :)

26-Mar-14
Put in for Colorado for deer and Wyoming for elk. You could actually switch states and species every year.

26-Mar-14
All depends on your age, disposable income and level of patience. Personally, I feel that preference points are the devil.

26-Mar-14
Az., Ut., and Nv. you need a license to just apply although they certainly overwhelm Colo. and Wyo. for big bulls....

So you can do Wyo elk and Colo elk and toss in deer in both....maybe pick Wyo for an antelope someday for about the same co$t as doing 1 of the Az-Ut-Nv. states for 1 species....

Good luck, Robb

PS-that is kinda agreeing with ya Nick! ha

26-Mar-14
IMO, the elk states worth the points are UT, AZ, and NV, and since those are bonus point states, you could always get lucky and draw a world class hunt with little to no points. I did in UT with just 2 pts. I don't think having just a few points help you much at all in CO. The big name units, "cost" too many points and it's arguable if it's really worth it. But you could always hunt OTC in CO. WY has likely the best general elk hunting in the west and only takes a point or so as a non resident. The good WY units still take max points as the point system there is still too new to have had much turnover yet.

26-Mar-14
I am buying points in Nevada, Arizona, and Utah also.

I am trying to plan where i can go on a hunt in 2016..

2014(no hunt having babies)

2015:(moose/bison in B.C.)

2016: i will have 3 points in wyoming and 2 in Colorado.. 2 bonus points in Arizona, Nevada and Utah..

26-Mar-14
But I would like to save points in some states to try and draw a premium tag in 10-15 years. So I guess my question is what states should i save those points

27-Mar-14
I just sent in my Colorado sheep app. Can I as a NR apply on line to buy points for deer and elk in Colorado?

27-Mar-14
yes

27-Mar-14
2 points will get you into most of the best mule deer hunting Colorado has so I'd stop there. Same with Wy. If you want a big muley you can't get one with points. You'll either have to buy one (LOV, trespass fee, outfitter) or earn one the old fashioned way. Lots of great bucks out there. Come get em! Don't waste your $ on 10-15 pts

• Sitka Gear