ToddT 02-Apr-14
wildwilderness 02-Apr-14
sawdust 02-Apr-14
cameljoc 03-Apr-14
stoddardmaya 01-Jul-14
28-Mar-14

cameljoc's embedded Photo
cameljoc's embedded Photo
Need help selecting GMU for Colorado mule deer hunt this fall. I have 17 NR points and would like to get your suggestions on what you guys would do in my shoes. I'm 64 but still get around pretty good; was able to harvest a 325 3/8 bull elk with my bowtech last fall in unit 61. Heard GMU 61 holds some big mule deer too but didn't see any the 5 days I hunted there in 2013? My preference is with a bow but would consider muzzy hunt also. Really appreciate any help.

28-Mar-14
61 used to be good, but I haven't seen a good buck there in years, and spent a fair amount of time there. The deer aren't in the same areas as elk in the bow season. They are either high on divide road (and get a lot of pressure) or low in the private ag fields.

I would go 21 3rd season. may take 18pts but you'll have a good chance with 17. Rut hunt with a good chance of looking over 100s of deer. Bring chains for mud and snow.

28-Mar-14
2 or 201 would be a good archery hunt. Hardly any pressure from elk or deer hunters. 76 would be good also except its a high country hunt so if you wanted to backpack. It has limited elk hunters also.

44 3rd season would be an early rut hunt which you could use your bow on instead of your rifle.

55 would be a good hunt also but its not really limited for elk.

Those would be my top choices if I wanted to only use a bow. Good luck this year on your hunt.

28-Mar-14
Due to my Wyo elk tag and Due to my Az. elk tag drawn...

Ya got 1 less High Country Buck in the Holy Cross Wilderness-- 44 applicant.

I can give ya ton's of intel if ya draw it....as this would have been my 3rd time drawing....always next year for me---

Good luck, Robb

28-Mar-14
Appreciate Wildwilderness and Branden's replies. Just the kind of info to help me decide on which GMU to apply for by 1April deadline. As of right now I'm leaning towards units 2, 21 or 201. Probably be hunting by my self this year so might have to go during archery season to avoid rifle season's bad weather. Thanks again for your take!

28-Mar-14
You could also draw any early rifle (Sept) timberline hunt. If I had that many points, I would probably try and get a 3rd/4th season tag in a better unit, even if I had to go with a guide.

28-Mar-14
It really depends on the type of hunt you are looking for. With the way 2 and 201 are limited in both elk and deer tags you would be hunting by yourself. Sounds like the bucks have been on the decline size wise a little, but the same can be said about 21 and you won't have to deal with otc elk hunters.

76 has the same perks as 2 and 201 but its more of a high country unit. 44 3rd you will have otc elk hunters but are hunting an area known for huge bucks.

55 has great genetics and there are big bucks there if you can find them. Not a lot of deer tags for the unit but a decent amount of elk tags.

If you are looking for more of a quality hunt without a lot of other people around, I would pic 2 or 201. If you want the same but more high country I would pick 76.

If you are looking for size, then I would hunt 44 3rd, 74 early rifle, or 82 early rifle. 44 would be less physical then 74 or 82.

You have a lot of options with that many points. Again good luck with whatever you decide.

Branden

29-Mar-14
im hunting unit 95 this year. suppose to be very good. It will be my first time.

29-Mar-14
I would not use 17 points on 21/30 archery season (only takes 7 NR pts). It can get crowded in good areas.

The 3rd and 4th season tags will take the most points so theoretically they are "better" hunts in the rut.

If archery season is your goal I would look at units 201, and 2.

29-Mar-14
95 is pretty good especially if you can get into the wildcat that would be a fun bowhunt in the canyons. I hunt yotes and p dogs in the wildcat and have seen some nice deer and goats.

29-Mar-14
21/30 would not be worth 17 points to me for any season. I know those units very well and I think it would be a severe disappointment. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking at the "premier" units during 3rd or 4th season and then decide whether to use a bow/muzzleloader/rifle. Otherwise I'd be looking at the high country wilderness areas for an early bow/muzzy hunt and possibly going semi-guided/drop camp to maximize your 17 year point investment.

30-Mar-14
Coming down to the wire to make a choice for my mule deer hunt. You all have given me a lot of good possibilities so its a tough choice. Hunting the 3rd or 4th rifle season during the rut would probably be the "best" chance to bag a really big buck...but, knowing how tough the weather can be in late October early November makes me shy away from those dates a bit. With one day to go looks like I'm going with 201...

Thanks for all the input, was a very big help on my decision. Good luck to you too this coming hunting season. Hopefully I will have a nice mule deer pic to post this fall!

30-Mar-14
No way in this world I would waste 17 points on unit 70! I used to hunt 70 for 20 years, never saw a buck in there that was worth 17 points. Besides you can draw archery deer in 70 with 1 point.

01-Apr-14
I have to agree with you Sawduston 70 also. Guess the fella in 70 just trying to start-up new business? Anyway I went with 201 yesterday's deadline and am very happy about it.

THANKS EVERYONE for helping me decide!!!

01-Apr-14
You really should have taken NickJ1980's advice. I have never set foot there, BUT, I personally know two guys who had that tag last year, and the year before. Actually the "guy" who had the tag in 2012 was my dad, and the other guy was a friend of my dad's. My dad did kill about a 180 buck - but he can usually do that on what used to be a leftover tag. Then last year, my dad's friend, ended up eating the tag.

Bottomline what I was told, it can be an extremely FUN hunt, with the opportunity to look over HUNDREDS of bucks, but if you have to have something over 180 inches, good luck.

I realize that you have already applied, and I am not trying to rain on your parade, because I would love to be able to do this hunt just one time, simply for the shear numbers of bucks that you should see, plus you may get lucky and find the big one. But I just wanted to let you know what information I had, and provide some insight as to what to expect. Plus, if you do draw, which I haven't checked but believe that drawing may be iffy, for third season, for NR with 17 points, but you can always turn the tag in and keep the points.

Regardless, I would try my best to speak with Nick, as it sounds like he knows the area well. Plus if you like, and I can't promise anything, but I would be glad to see if my dad would be willing to talk to you. Just let me know.

02-Apr-14
Hey ToddT I'm not one for turning down any help especially after 17 years applying for this mule deer tag. I might be missing something in NickJ1980's post but can't find where he recommended any particular unit to me???The following is the only post I received from NickJ1980:

"""21/30 would not be worth 17 points to me for any season. I know those units very well and I think it would be a severe disappointment. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking at the "premier" units during 3rd or 4th season and then decide whether to use a bow/muzzleloader/rifle. Otherwise I'd be looking at the high country wilderness areas for an early bow/muzzy hunt and possibly going semi-guided/drop camp to maximize your 17 year point investment."""

ToddT if you have a connection with someone for Unit 201 please let me know cuz I've never set foot in 201.

Thanks

02-Apr-14
Cameljoc, I apologize, for whatever reason, when I initially read your post, what I got out of it was that you had applied for 21. Unit 201 didn't register, as it seems like a ton of hunters chase unit 21, and from the information I received firsthand, as well as the advice from Nick, unit 21 is not all it is cracked up to be.

However, unit 201 is a whole other story. I have NO information about unit 201. Again I apologize for the confusion on my part.

One thing I will say, and I believe everyone will agree, you can find a really big buck in ALMOST any unit in Colorado. However, in some units, they are easier to find, or have more conducive conditions for finding the big ones - such as a late season migration hunt, or units with lots of private ground - which obviously you would have to gain access to. But the bottom line is, there are good bucks all over. For clarification sake, they aren't behind every tree, but each year bucks 180 plus come from all over. A good example was that a friend of mine hunts units 24 each year for elk, and he and his group put in for mule deer tags, and they usually get fourth season tags every 2-4 years. The first year he drew a mule deer buck tag, he shot a beautiful buck in the 180 range.

With that said, I wish I could help with 201, but I believe if you draw the tag you should be able to get good advice, and I think you will have an enjoyable hunt with a chance at a good buck. But again, I am going off of chatter I have heard throughout the years.

Good luck.

02-Apr-14
I'll second what he said about the possibility to find a good buck in most units- my friend killed a 238" toad on a 2nd choice archery tag!

Also that they aren't behind every bush in even the best units. A trophy muley is tough.

02-Apr-14
I was in 201 today for the first time. Awesome looking country!

03-Apr-14
No problem ToddT have to agree there's probably huge bucks all over Colorado but with my limited hunt time (I'm a Missouri Hillbilly)its easier for me to hunt a unit with larger populations of mule deer. I try to hunt the days I'm afield as hard as I can but of the 34 years I've hunted (elk) in Colorado I've always loved just being in the West's Great Outdoors; successful or not! Getting a nice buck would be icing on the cake!

Hey SawDust thanks for your last post of how awesome 201 looks; can't wait to set foot their come September!!!Have no idea of where to hunt 201 but I have a few months to research it. Don't want to take someone's honey hole but if anyone out there has hunted mule deer in 201 and cares to suggest a good area there, Id sure be grateful...

Again I do appreciate all your inputs; they've been a great help to me!

01-Jul-14
Hi cameljoc my partner and I got drawn for 201, we have not been there either! could you e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks

• Sitka Gear