Florida Mike 09-Apr-14
MDW 10-Apr-14
Bake 10-Apr-14
Blacktail Bob 10-Apr-14
Blacktail Bob 10-Apr-14
Owl 10-Apr-14
Blacktail Bob 10-Apr-14
08-Apr-14
That was the question I'd ask callers about wanting to use one of my cabins. From now on, I'm also going to ask; do you support Bowhunting and belong to the Pope and Young Club?

I don't need to rent these places to make money. In fact, I lose money every time someone stays at one of my cabins. I did this endeavor to try and help other Bowhunters have access to some of the places I've had the good fortune to hunt over the past 30 years.

Reading some of the anti Pope and Young and club bashing comments has really opened my eyes. It’s amazing!!!

08-Apr-14
Yes and yes :)

It's too bad about the bashing. I stopped reading the thread because a lot of it just didn't make any sense.

Do you have a cabin where deer, bear, halibut, and shrimp would be possible? What do you think about bringing 2 kids that are used to camping and have done some back country back packing?

08-Apr-14
Yep, read a little on the weekly P&Y threads and then can't bring myself to go back and read more. Pretty sad...

08-Apr-14
Yes and it has lapsed so I will change that. Thanks for the reminder. Bob.

08-Apr-14
Bob I think were on the same page. The P&Y bashing seams to never quit.

08-Apr-14
I dont read the threads because the responses are so predictable. Don't blame you, Bob.

My answers will be "yes and yes"

08-Apr-14
I dont read the threads because the responses are so predictable. Don't blame you, Bob.

My answers will be "yes and yes"

08-Apr-14
Agreed. Yes and yes! I quit reading too. I think some people just have to have something to attack. Sure the Club is not perfect, but what other org does anything to support bowhunting? By association, we should all be members. End of story.

09-Apr-14
I'm a member of P&Y and my state bowhunting organization. I've asked people in the past to join but have never questioned anyone's decision to not join. Bowhunting is essentially my passion and most people that know me would say my life revolves around bowhunting. I believe in supporting groups that support my passion. So Bob, if you had asked me when I called I would have said yes.

09-Apr-14
Absolutely... yes, yes and yes. This thread actually makes me want to rent one of your cabins... I'll be getting ahold of you. Good for you Bob...

In reference to the P&Y threads... if you look at the whole picture, it's only a handful of guys. The same guys who would complain to their own mother about the Thanksgiving dinner she prepared for them... never satisfied. Ed F

09-Apr-14
Or you could take it in a different direction - raise your price for non-members (aka, provide discount for members). Then donate the non-member difference to P&Y in their honor.

09-Apr-14
Way to go Bob!

Yes and yes!

09-Apr-14
Yes and Yes! See you in September. Oh yeah..maybe not, congrats on your AZ tag Bob!!!

09-Apr-14
Yes and Yes....

as a matter of fact, Kathy Strecker has reach out to me about becoming a Regular Member P&Y.

Good luck, Robb

09-Apr-14
To bad we can't get Pat to lock those threads...

09-Apr-14
Yes and Yes.

A lot of infighting in all realms of hunting though. It is too bad.

09-Apr-14
The reason I post on those threads is because every time I do many guys who NEVER post click on the P&Y website, join, send me a pm about the Club or find something that may be helpful for themselves. One by one!

I don't try to change the minds of the bashers and I agree with Ed's post above! "Some guys would complain about their mothers Thanksgiving dinner"! C

09-Apr-14
Yes, and no.

09-Apr-14
Yes and yes. Proud to have just hit my 1 year anniversary.

09-Apr-14
It's one of the reasons I don't post very often here anymore......it gets old with some of the misinformation and bias that is often spread by a few regulars on this site.

But to answer your question, Bob? Damn skippy on both......Yes and Yes!

09-Apr-14
what causes you to lose money on the rentals ? are you providing a lot of amenities or paying to fly them in or something ?

09-Apr-14
Good on you Bob! Yes and Yes!

09-Apr-14
Yes and Yes.

Buskill, Maintaining anything in the bush is expensive. Don't even get me started on permitting/licensing/insurance. Depending on your area of operation, you get hammered three times in a lot of cases, everyone has their hand out, Borough, State, and the Feds.

09-Apr-14
Milo good idea !

09-Apr-14
Yes and yes and as some have suggested, the BowSite just isn't the same...

09-Apr-14
Instead of rejecting people, why not include a membership when they rent a cabin and, if you need to, increase the cost of the rental to cover it?

09-Apr-14
yes and i have to check to see if my membership expired,if did , i will renew. Bowhunting is just not a passion , it is a way of life for me, examples:I have routine workouts that keep me pretty fit all year long,it has taken me places i could only dream about,i have met amazing people. just a few examples and i could go on but my point is. The Bashing of the P&Y club is embarrassing and hurtful to me and all others. I dont understand if the same guys keep bashing this site and the clubs that so many of us are proud of, just leave, find a HOBBY that you can enjoy, TOM

09-Apr-14
Yes and yes.

I agree with you guys.

It's easy to criticize... and the less someone knows about something, the more they think they know.

09-Apr-14
Yes, bow only. And yes, for 25 years.

09-Apr-14
It looks like there is a line for your cabins Bob! Don't let the naysayers and turds of Bowsite get you down Roy. It would definitely be a shame if we lost someone with your bowhunting prowess, especially in terms of those super muley bucks.

One of these days, perhaps I'll get a look at one of your cabins, as a bowhunter, and a member of P&Y.

09-Apr-14
Folks

If you here BB bust a gasket, let me know.

09-Apr-14
Yes and yes!!

09-Apr-14
Of course! As an enthusiastic bow-hunter, I couldn't imagine not supporting a top-notch organization as the P&Y club. IMO if you're a gun-owner you support the NRA. If you're a sheep hunter you support the WSF. If you're a bow-hunter, you support the P&Y club and your state bow-hunting orgs.

Just speaking for myself, but not once in my lifetime have I heard someone in a verbal person-to-person conversation criticize the work of the P&Y club. I only have seen those type of comments typed in cyberspace. Therefore, I give those words very little merit, and they don't phase me one bit.

09-Apr-14
Bob...P and Y membership should be the bare minimum...Active membership in their state organisation would be great also.

I had private message dialog with a clown from The Bowsite who accused me of being jealous of him because of the "tons of animals" he has killed.

I had to explain to him the animals we shoot mean nothing compared to what we give back to bowhunting by working with bowhunting organisations.

Kudos to you Bob for "Giving back"

09-Apr-14
Yes and yes! I like your style Bob.

09-Apr-14
I don't post here much anymore, but I read all the time. Been on Bowsite since 1996, and just don't care to get into the controversial conversations as much as I used to.

But YES and YES. Been a member since 2004. Also a life member of the NRA and will be a lifer in my state traditional bowhunting organization (NTA) this year as well.

I don't agree with everything any of these clubs do, but I support the goals and 90% of what we all fight for and try to do for our 'sport'.

Thanks BBob, maybe someday we'll have to discuss a rental, and maybe even a tip so it doesn't cost you. :^)

09-Apr-14
Yes and no

All my years on Bowsite, I have read numerous threads inquiring with whom we would enjoy hunting. This is the first thread I've read intending to exclude bowhunters from camp. Summarily, at that.

I was once a member but found they did not represent me. P&Y is on a different albeit concentric orbit as me. That stated, I appreciate their contributions and P&Y members are welcome at my campfire.

09-Apr-14
Yes and no. Where I hunt there is little chance if killing a p&y animal and turkeys are not represented. They could have easily allowed turkeys and promoted turkey hunting and scored the birds in beards and spurs. I do believe they do mostly the right things and it wouldn't bother me if they had not allowed compound kill entries. I dont enter anything anyway.

09-Apr-14
95- I love bowhunting and I am not a member of P&Y ?

09-Apr-14
To answer your question, yes I am a Bowhunter and I do belong to Pope & Young. Now, i didn't read the thread you are refering to, but I have an idea about what it was about. I think there is a huge misconception about what P&Y is all about. I know I did not understand it prior to joining last year. I thought it was all about the records, but that is only part of it. I actually didn't think you could join unless you killed an animal that qualified for the book. Don't lose heart, I am sure there are plenty of bow hunters who agree with you, and many more who don't realize they agree with you.

Now tell me more about your cabin. Seriously.

09-Apr-14
Life member of the Colorado Bowhunters Assoc and the NRA, plus a Sr Member of P&Y. I think about or ideally would go bowhunting every day of the year. Also a member of the British Columbia Wildlife Association. Might have to meet up with Bob in AZ some winter when I am down chasing Coues deer.

09-Apr-14
It shouldn't matter if a person hunts in an area that holds no P&Y animals. What matters to me the most is the P&Y club supports Bowhunting. And Bowhunting is what my life evolves around.The elected officers and members work hard to protect and preserve our Bowhunting Heritage. In my opinion, if a person is a bowhunter then he/she should be a member of the P&Y club.

09-Apr-14
I haven't payed my P & Y dues for a couple years but after reading the other thread my dues will be sent soon. There was post about buying a lisence and supporting a states DNR was good enough. Other states DNRs must make better choices then my state's.

09-Apr-14
Not that I want to exclude anyone, but I want to do my part to support membership in what I believe to be the most pro bow hunting organization I know of.

Unlike Ed Franchin, by the way congratulations Ed and thank you for all the hard work you do, I'm not much on group participation. As a result, I'm trying to do what I can to help the club in my way. I don't recall meeting a Pope & Young Club Member that I wouldn't want to share a hunting camp with.

09-Apr-14
Yes and yes, I ate a Rocky Mountain sheep tag last year and could have killed out with a rifle...some would say that doesn't mean I'm a bowhunter. Some would say that qualifies me. I think I am. Bob I'm a businessman also, I'd charge the non P&Y guys more. But that's just me. I am getting a few guys together to rent one of your cabins in 15 or 16. I will be in touch soon. Mike

10-Apr-14
Bowhunter for 40+ years, Regular P&Y member, President of the Kansas Bowhunter's Assoc. So I guess you could say I'm passionate about bowhunting, even though I don't take that many P&Y caliber animals.

I will support Bowhunting AND P&Y as long as I can draw a breath.

10-Apr-14
Yup. Don't even open up the P&Y threads anymore.

I agree with you, I attended the last P&Y convention, and was fortunate to meet some Bowsite folks there, and others that were not on Bowsite as well. There wasn't a one of them that I would not share a camp with, and have a lot of fun I'm sure.

Looking forward to Phoenix in '15

Bake

10-Apr-14
Randy (Owl),

You're right. Its not productive to exclude rather than try and include folks.

So, what I'll do is; for any parent (guardian) who has a youngster (less than 20 years of age) that the pair draws tags, you can both stay at the cabin free of charge. Ideally, the parent would be a member of the P&Y Club and sign up the youngster when they kill their bear and enter it in the P&Y record book.

Unless you kill a sow or a three year old or younger boar from POW Island, AK, any boar should meet the 18 inch minimum.

10-Apr-14
I should put a limit on it, my offer. I only have so much room each spring, so its got to be limited to two groups per spring season, a total of four (4) hunters per spring season.

10-Apr-14
Bob, That is a tremendous offer for the bowhunting community and in keeping with the fellow you've proven to be. Frankly, your gesture casts my comments as hasty and ill conceived. For that, please accept my apology.

10-Apr-14
Actually, your comments made me think. They were right on point!!!

• Sitka Gear