willliamtell 23-Apr-14
smokey 24-Apr-14
Bowsage 24-Apr-14
sethosu 24-Apr-14
coothunter 25-Apr-14
azarchery 26-Apr-14
muskeg 26-Apr-14
22-Apr-14
Just downloaded the latest copy of the CA Hunting Digest for 2014...and new for this year is a threat of public land closure due to drought! Really, public land closure due to drought? I've killed mule deer in some seriously dry places...especially in Arizona...so again I say, drought, really?

If any closures was due to an actual wildfire...ongoing, not hypothetical...then I get it...a clear public safety issue. But closing public hunting land due to dry conditions because of extended drought...what a load of BS!

To me, this just seems to be another affront to sportsmen and women and the current administration forcing their "Global Warming" views on the rest of us. And from what I can tell, no one drinks the Kool-Aid from this administration faster than CA.

Does anyone on the Bowsite feel the Forest Service or BLM should close public hunting land due to drought? Please let me know how you weigh in on this subject.

What follows is the text from the CA hunting digest. After you get past the "fluff" about the drought's impact on future tag numbers...focus on the statement about closing federal lands used for hunting access "this year" due to drought.

CALIFORNIA'S EXTREME DROUGHT MAY IMPACT BIG GAME HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES IN 2014

The dry conditions of the winter of 2013-2014 will likely have the greatest short term impacts on the quality and quantity of forage and water available for use by big game species. Lack of precipitation can lead to short-term reductions of water and a decrease in vegetative productivity, both of which can negatively impact an animal's body condition and possibly the subsequent recruitment of young into the adult population.

Drought conditions may also lead to an increase in the number and severity of wildfires and the spread of invasive plant species. Either or both of these scenarios could degrade habitat big game species depend upon.

At the time of this writing, California is in the midst of the most severe drought in its recorded history. Historic closures of fishing access on several of California's rivers and streams have just been implemented (February 5, 2014), and unless conditions change soon California's hunters may face unprecedented closures of public lands during the 2014 hunting season and a reduction in future hunter opportunity due to drought related impacts on big game populations.

California Department of Fish and Wildlife biologists are continuing to collect and analyze population information to provide final big game tag quota recommendations for consideration at the April Fish and Game Commission meeting.

There is still time for the drought to break, but hunters will be wise to monitor and evaluate conditions as they make their tag selections and plan their hunts once they receive their tags. Even though hunters may not see tag quota reductions for the 2014 Big Game Drawing, they are reminded that these quotas are set in April and many big game hunting seasons do not begin until the fall period. These are often the driest periods of the year in much of California, and if the drought persists it may result in the closure of many of the public lands many hunters use. Hunters can monitor current land-use conditions/restrictions at the following websites:

United States Forest Service: www.fs.fed.us/ Bureau of Land Management: www.blm.gov/ca/st/en.html California Department of Fish and Wildlife: www.dfg.ca.gov/Hunting/

22-Apr-14
Yes, the FS and BLM can close access to lands due to drought. It is covered by fire hazard policy. But when the forests are closed- no one may use them!

Long term- I feel it is the goal of some environmentalists to eliminate all human access to public lands.

The fire restriction access is unfortunately a wise thing. There are just too many non thinking people around. Heck, just the heat from your catalytic converter can start a grass fire!

22-Apr-14
It's happened few times in recent years. They just close the National Forest.

22-Apr-14
I was living in Montana when they delayed the opening of archery season for a couple of weeks (if I remember correctly) due to dry conditions. Not just public land but all archery hunting seasons. Not "current administration" doing it.

I know there are individuals and groups out there that would like to spot all public access but I don't think you can blame this on them... Just my opinion...

23-Apr-14
Yeah i agree with outdoorsdude close it all down because of fires...Pretty sensible...

23-Apr-14
Dem's, lib's and the F'n anti's in our DF&W don't help...Just say'n!

23-Apr-14
No, no, no, it's not 'global warming' anymore, now you have to call it 'climate change'! That helps the fools cover their bases when the temperature doesn't actually rise and we have a cooler year instead...

23-Apr-14
Remember at the time of printing the regs we probably hadn't received the late rainfall we had. We have two storms coming in this week. Judging from the growth of vegetation on my property that I have to cut down it looks normal. Late rains like these are what keeps things green longer.

23-Apr-14
2002 the engine I was assigned to spent some time at one of the entrances of the Tonto NF in Arizona not allowing access due to extreme fire conditions.

23-Apr-14
It's true, we are on track for a really crappy fire Season.

If everyone that used those lands wasn't stupid...it would be fine.

Unfortunately, there are also a lot of folks that make a good living off the Fire Industry that are self serving, and don't exactly subscribe to the same code of ethics as the general populace.

23-Apr-14
"Unfortunately, there are also a lot of folks that make a good living off the Fire Industry that are self serving, and don't exactly subscribe to the same code of ethics as the general populace."

Mind explaining this? After 33 years of service my first interpretation is taking this as an insult.

23-Apr-14
Smokey,

It's no big secret that there is a lot of unnecessary backfiring going on. I know people in that have been in the Industry almost as long as you that have seen it many times. The State blames the Feds, and vise versa.

I'm not pointing a finger at you, I'm sure the folks you are associated with wouldn't use such tactics; but you cannot speak for the entire Industry. It's like any form of Government, there is always corruption, and it often boils down to self-preservation.

23-Apr-14
"...reduction in future hunter opportunity due to drought related impacts on big game populations" - oh if it were only drought-related I wouldn't have a problem. The reality is the powers that be in this State do not support hunting. Good luck finding public land located within 2 hours drive of the SF Bay Area where you can generally hunt big game. Odds are even slimmer if you're talking about actually seeing (let alone shooting) the species you are hunting. Meanwhile all the indicators of species mortality are off the charts (e.g., low fawn survival rate, low adult weight, browse lines on all trees and shrubs, very low volunteer tree growth, etc. etc.).

Fish and Wildlife in CA hasn't been about fish and wildlife since before I was born, and it keeps getting worse for the resources and those that would like to enjoy them. What California serves really well as is a textbook lesson in how not to manage big game. I tell the horror stories every time I hunt out of state, with the cautionary warning that it could happen in those States too.

Good luck with closing everything down. They are thinking about banning firepits at Ocean Beach in San Francisco because the Park Service doesn't have the staff to do routine patrols. It will be no different with other public land - the illegal idiots will still be out there.

24-Apr-14
I see but backfiring is hardly used anymore. Burning out is and that is a good tool and used as a tool after a wildfire is going.

24-Apr-14
Long before " global warming" here in Va. hunting season was interupted by dry conditions due to fire danger.Makes perfectly good sense, global warming, nonsense.

24-Apr-14
In the last 100yrs the Earth's temperature has risen 1 degree F. In the last 17 years it has risen ZERO!

25-Apr-14
Please do not be a science hater. Global warming is not a myth. The cause can be debated, but the evidence that the Earth is warming is pretty rock solid. Even the evidence of human causes is awfully compelling.

26-Apr-14
pure myth being shoved down our throats on a daily basis!!

26-Apr-14
Closing the forest to all activities including hunting on public and private lands in the west is nothing new!

• Sitka Gear