Thornton 01-Jun-14
BULELK1 01-Jun-14
azarchery 01-Jun-14
notags 01-Jun-14
Thornton 01-Jun-14
SDHNTR(home) 02-Jun-14
oneshot 02-Jun-14
01-Jun-14
My brother-in-law and his family recently moved to Tuscon and he wants me to come visit and make a hunt out of it. I was thinking OTC archery for mule deer on public lands in that area towards the end of December. Any ideas on where I could go and what should I expect for hunting conditions? Thanks for all the input!

01-Jun-14
By December your BIL should have plenty of hunting area's for you both to hunt...Muleys or Couses maybe??

Enjoy for sure!

Good luck, Robb

01-Jun-14
if u can wait till jan 1 you can hunt javelina also. deer is otc, pig is a draw, but shouldn't have to much problem getting drawn

01-Jun-14
other than the obvious. nothing here is flat, Toto... I lived southeast of Tucson, for a few years . Mid december seemed to almost always hit the muley rut. Great time to be on the desert. Bring a shotgun and shoot quail (two specials, scaleys and gamble, and actually a chance at a third at higher elevations the Mearns, Unit 33 has some good areas on the south side of the RIncons. But the flats south of I 10 used to hold some toads... I havent hunted ther ein a while but good luck to you.

01-Jun-14
I will add that he is not much of a hunter. He has spent the last 5 years working on his doctorate's in physical therapy and has always been glad to hunt 1 day a year in KS where he usually shoots a doe. I do not expect him to put much effort in finding a good area to hunt. He just moved there a few months ago and AZ is as foreign to him as I.

02-Jun-14
Tucson is surrounded by good country. I'm not oversimplifying by saying to find some public land, find a knob with a good view, and sit down and glass. If you want coues, go higher elevation. If you want muleys, stick to the desert floor and foothills. Late December is a great time of year to be in that country. Usually nice weather and rutting bucks.

02-Jun-14
Glassing, glassing and more glassing followed by a stalk is a common tactic, if your new to an area, it's about your only hope... Deer numbers are much lower here, terrain is tougher, altitude will kick your azz... I hunt 34A,scout year round, I may have some spot-on info(stand/blind locations, I have the stands/brush blinds and I'm willing to share ) later in the year if the other hunters dont make it out... PM me in a few months...

• Sitka Gear