BULELK1 19-Jun-14
Mule Power 19-Jun-14
Franzen 20-Jun-14
Franzen 20-Jun-14
midwest 20-Jun-14
psemf4 20-Jun-14
John55 25-Jun-14
18-Jun-14
I can find the total number of tags sold/allotted and the number of archery kills for Region G on the Wyoming Game and Fish website, but I can't find any estimates of the total number of hunters who actually hunt using archery equipment in Region G during a given year. Does anyone know where I can find this info, other than just dividing the number of archery kills by the statewide success rate for archery?

Thanks, John

18-Jun-14
With the unlimited number of tags available to residents in that area, it may be hard to figure out by the numbers.

18-Jun-14
I think you'd be just as well served to ask what people on here think of the hunting. Lots of people in the know here such as Bulelk1.

My take is that deer numbers are way down. There will always be a few shooters but in the past 2 years there I have not seen a single one. The mature bucks are high. Higher than the elk. So you'll need to know that and plan for it. You'll also need more than a week or 10 days to find one I can tell you.

Even the outfitters up there aren't killing any wallhangers. The one I do know of that is consistent on good bucks spends all summer flying to find them and charges considerably more for a deer hunt than for elk.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.

19-Jun-14
I have already been up in 'G' twice this spring.

Deer and elk are looking like they wintered well.

Now for the crowd control question-----

During the bow hunt dates Sept 1st thru the 14th in those 3 'G' units, you will have more company closer to the rifle opener the 15th as many are scouting caring the bow--just in case....(yeh you could bow hunt during the rifle dates if ya wanted too)....

In the other 'G' unit you can bow hunt thru Sept. 30 and other than some local wknd hunters, you can be on the mountain basically all alone!

You solo bow hunting? for muleys or ya got company?

Good luck, Robb

19-Jun-14
Thanks for the responses.

Robb, I'm going solo (for muleys) unless a buddy decides to tag along. I've found a couple places on my map and Google Earth that look good and I'm planning on getting there a couple days before the archery opener to scout. I talked to a couple of people at game and fish in the spring and decided not to withdraw my application. Its cool country so I'm going to have a good time regardless.

John

19-Jun-14
Simply a heads-up John---

When ya get to your hunt area it looks NOTHING like a guys Google Earth scouting!

Toss me an Email if you would like....

[email protected]

Good luck, Robb

19-Jun-14
Like I mentioned... go high. Get up there, bust out the spotter and glass like it's your job. Good luck.

20-Jun-14

Franzen's embedded Photo
Franzen's embedded Photo
Not the best picture quality, but I think this is where the bucks will be if you can find'em. I would have gladly taken the tag if I would have drawn with one point this year!

20-Jun-14

Franzen's Link
BTW, I would imagine this is the info. you have already gone through (pages 40-42). Dividing kills by the success rate would surely get you in the ballpark, but I'm not sure it really matters. I don't think I would worry about how many other archers are going to be out there, as in my opinion it won't really be your main concern. Seeing that there were only 6 buck mule deer killed by NR with archery tackle in all of Region G in 2013 seems a bit grim.

20-Jun-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I'll be somewhere in here hunting elk. :-)

20-Jun-14
It's been few years since we last hunted in G, But my dad, myself and my oldest son will be adding to the archery buck harvest this year! We also have elk tags too.

Gunna be a great September.

25-Jun-14
Thanks for all the responses. Frazen, I can see one of the areas I'm planning on hitting in your picture. John

• Sitka Gear