DL 15-Jul-14
bowriter 15-Jul-14
bowriter 15-Jul-14
DL 15-Jul-14
Brotsky 15-Jul-14
nvgoat 15-Jul-14
oldgoat 15-Jul-14
15-Jul-14
My friend just texted me and said with the moon the deer are out after shooting time and before shooting time. I just can't bring myself to hardly go out shooting my bow when its 100 degrees let alone go hunting in it. I was up scouting at 8000+ feet last weekend and it was hot up there. I think the deer have migrated to Canada. They've seen a half dozen legal bucks but all not during shooting hours.

15-Jul-14
Do deer need moonlight to see?

15-Jul-14
No but humans do. How on earth can you tell how many deer are out there at night without out a full moon? If there wasn't a full moon you wouldn't know there's deer out there feeding and couldn't blame the moon for no deer during the day. A full moon just screws up everything. See its easily explained.

15-Jul-14
The biggest deer I ever killed with abow in AL, I killed on opening day of bow season, 1995. It was a full moon and 95-degrees. he was the 7th buck I sparred in at 7:30 in the morning. 8pt-gross 142 and change.

I was wearing shorts, tennis shoes and no shirt under an ASAT early day mesh 3-D suit.

15-Jul-14
I think he's talking about mule deer...and there is a real problem with mule deer population. It is 1/2 of what it was 5 years ago in some areas.

I don't even do target practice if it's in the 90's.

15-Jul-14
"A full moon just screws up everything."

If it was 30-degrees and the deer were all feeding between 10 and noon, how badly would the moon screw things up? Could it be the temperature is screwing YOU up?

The deer are doing what is normal to them given 100-degree temperature. They have not all left the country, you just don't see them when you want to.

But hey, here is a thought. Do you think maybe around noon might be a good time to hunt? Reckon maybe they get thirsty about then and move around a little to get water?

I lived and hunted in WY for several years. For the life of me, I can't recall me thinking the moon screwed anything up except jackalopes and the one year we had a draw season for vampires. Man! Now that was a tough hunt. It was only open one day-Oct. 31.

15-Jul-14
Blacktail season is open.

15-Jul-14
I'd be out hunting if it were 1000 degrees. Granted I wouldn't last long but at least I'd die happy!

15-Jul-14
I have hunted successfully many times here in Nevada with the temp 95-105. Yes it is hot. You have to carry lots of water and get in the shade if you can. Some people seem to tolerate the heat better than others. As they say "it's dry heat". The good part is the deer are predictable- they seek shade and don't get up much. Really cuts down the amount of country you have to glass as they won't be in the sun.

15-Jul-14
I hope to never experience over ninety degrees every again but probably will next week:-(

• Sitka Gear