wildwilderness 22-Jul-14
brunse 22-Jul-14
COLO 3-D 22-Jul-14
Fulldraw1972 22-Jul-14
brunse 23-Jul-14
brunse 24-Jul-14
Jim B 24-Jul-14
22-Jul-14
So if you are an experienced high country mule deer hunter, as I am not, then how "late" in the morning would you expect to still find bucks feeding?

At what time would you expect to change glassing tactics and what possible changes would you make?

I am hunting southern Colorado near the divide in early September. Terrain from 9-12K. Goal... two year old buck or better.

I have a decent set of glasses, scope and horses to get me up there. Then I will likely send my horse out with my help (dad doesn't hunt!!) and be on foot.

Thanks for any input.

22-Jul-14
The deer seem to follow the sun, so the time is dependent on the sunrise time, and specific hillside with shade.

I wouldn't expect to see many deer after the sun is shining.

After that, tough to glass unless you know deer are in the area. Mid-day they may stand and re-position so spot them but this time of year its really morning and night for hunting.

The only mid day tactic that works is to "still" hunt aspen stands, and to a harder extent dark timber. Aspens are nice since there is more visibility. Just walk as slow as possible, then slow down. take a step or two and look for 5. You can kill a 2+yr old doing this. I've seen some big deer slipping in Quakies but they seem to bolt when spotted. The younger deer look and can be shot a lot easier.

22-Jul-14
Any one remember seeing a buck, or group of bucks, feeding near timberline after 8am when hunting? Any success?

How about grid glassing areas that look promising, but you have never been to before? Any success?

I have ridden my horse by a few 4x4 bucks that just watched me go by in the aspens. No record book, but look good to a flatlander.

22-Jul-14
If they are still up at 8:00, they will likely be easy to spot as they will be on the move looking for a place to bed.

22-Jul-14
Last year in Utah I seen bucks moving later in the morning. Cloud cover can help keep them on there feet. This was at timberline. A buck can bed out of the sun but as the angle later in the morning sun changes he will get up and move.

23-Jul-14
Thanks for the input. Basically, if I haven't found one to stalk by the time the sun hits them... then I will need some blind luck to find one mid day???

Any other mule deer hunters out there?

24-Jul-14
Seriously. The vast majority of mule deer hunters must be scouting this week....

24-Jul-14
I would want to be on a high vantage point at daylight and try to glass bucks to see where they bed.Then,after they are settled in,make the stalk,if they are in an approachable spot.It helps to have some reference points as when you get over there,things will look vastly different than from where you glassed.It isn't a bad idea to take a picture on a digital camera,of the hill they are bedded on.This may help you as you close in.

Remember,as has been mentioned,they will shift beds periodically so keep it in mind that they may not be in the original bed by the time you get there.Be ready for that.A partner,using prearranged hand signals,can really help sort that out.

If you haven't spotted deer by bedding time,you can still spot some with good optics and a tripod.Glass all likely looking places,like shadows under ledges etc.You will be looking for antler tips,an ear etc.Just because you aren't seeing deer moving,doesn't mean the hunt is over.

Dwight Schuh's book:"Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" has a lot of information on this type of hunting.

• Sitka Gear