eddie c 24-Jul-14
HuntEasy 24-Jul-14
muskeg 24-Jul-14
Z Barebow 24-Jul-14
TD 24-Jul-14
ElkSmith27 24-Jul-14
HuntEasy 24-Jul-14
24-Jul-14
Our ruby mountain hunts coming up. Our packer says we can bring a cooler 45 quart max. Is dry ice the way to go to keep the perishables cool? We going to be in for a week. How long should I expect it to be effective in the shade?

24-Jul-14
There is more to keeping dry ice than insulation. Dry ice reacts with air. If you have some pieces sealed, it will last longer. (but of course it will cool more slowly) Shade and how often you let air contact the dry ice will affect decay rate.

If you have never dealt with dry ice, there are a few things to consider.

Don't put it near anything that could freezer burn. (EX meat) Place some cardboard between meat/food and ice.

Handle with gloves. You will get frostbite.

24-Jul-14
Z Barebow X 2.

Use gloves when handling.

The meat that comes in contact with dry ice will rapidly get freezer burn if you don't put thick cardboard between them.

I would duct tape the seams of the cooler, to keep it as airtight as possible....that will reduce the rate at which the frozen CO2 evaporates (or whatever it does).

I have found it more and more difficult to locate dry ice over the past few years....are you certain that your source still provides it?

24-Jul-14
I have no experience with dry ice but I have been told DO NOT carry dry ice inside enclosed vehicles because the as it evaporates it will displace the oxygen.

I had some friends that when to CO one year and packed they food up in a cooler with dry ice when they left TN. they said they liked to have starved because it took 2 days to thaw out their meat when they got there. the daytime air temps were in the 50s.

24-Jul-14
I wasn't aware dry ice was getting harder to locate. I'll check with our local supply to confirm availability. Good info on the cardboard and making sure to seal the cooler.

24-Jul-14
Dry Ice disappears quickly and will freeze everything in the cooler.

Good for keeping frozen stuff frozen for like 3 days or so. But probably not to be used to keep stuff cool.

And you must be careful about the outgassing as mentioned eddie c.

24-Jul-14
HuntEasy- When looking for dry ice, I call the local grocery stores first. (There business hours are greater than supply houses). I know I wouldn't be able to find any dry ice locally at grocery stores, but I have found it in NM and Jackson Wyoming.

And +3 on eddies c's comment. Don't store in your rig.

24-Jul-14
What Muskeg said.

We use it freeze meat for the flight home if we can't find someone with a freezer.

Honestly I don't think it would last much if any longer than just a bunch of ice would in a good cooler. A good cooler if cared for will keep thing 5-7 days easy. I'm not sure the dry ice would last that long. It will be lighter and take less space, but you're gonna freeze some things. Oh, and it's kinda pricy in comparison too.

I've heard of folks using a combo of ice and dry ice. Not sure how that worked out but the theory was the regular ice insulates the food from freezing and the dry ice helped keep the regular ice from thawing as fast. In theory.

24-Jul-14
I take two coolers with me...one with all my perishibles in one cooler and another with strictly dry ice on the bottom and then packed full of water ice. The dry ice keeps the ice frozen longer and I just transfer a small amount of ice to my "working" cooler each day. I keep the dry ice cooler in the shade (usually under my tailgate and covered with blankets. I've kept cold food and good ice for 6 days using this method.

24-Jul-14
Elksmith!!! That's what I'm talking about!

• Sitka Gear