YZF-88 18-Aug-14
Bogey 19-Aug-14
Fulldraw1972 19-Aug-14
elkmtngear 19-Aug-14
midwest 19-Aug-14
02-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I'm on a tight budget so that meant only one tank of gas for my deer scouting trip this year. I found some great bucks (for a general unit). I know a few of them are the same bucks I chased last year.

I'm really at odds on how to get after one of these groups. They are bedding in a flat saddle and the wind seems to get sucked into it from every direction. Trying to ambush them in the morning just as the thermals start to go crazy in the area seems futile.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to finally wrap my hands around a wall worthy velvet buck.

Enjoy the pics courtesy of my beat up Sony Cyber-shot held together with duct tape.

02-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo

02-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo

02-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
After finding the first group of bucks. I relocated to another part of the unit. It used to be good until some locals made their own road going through the prime area. I found 15 bucks hanging out everywhere. If I get after any of these bucks, it'll have to be opening morning before the parade.

Here are 4 bucks under one tree.

02-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I was very surprised to find this buck again exactly a year later standing out in the open in virtually the same spot. He is very narrow but very tall. Looks like he put on some mass this year.

02-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
This is my favorite buck from this group. Hope to get at least one chance at him.

02-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Decided to pass on this guy. Not a shooter for me.

02-Aug-14
great photos!

02-Aug-14
That'll get ya excited.

02-Aug-14
That'll work, good job and good luck...

02-Aug-14
You found some nice ones bud! Good luck this season, can't wait to read about your hunts.

Take care,

Nick

02-Aug-14
Nice bucks good luck. HUNT

02-Aug-14
Definitely worth the tank of gas. Good luck and hope to hear all about it!

03-Aug-14
Nothing I'd like more than a big ol' summer coated, pencil necked, fuzzy horned muley! Best of luck!

04-Aug-14
Now that will get your blood pumping! Good luck!

04-Aug-14
You are half way home! Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Mark

04-Aug-14
You just proved that Utah has some good buck for sure.

I bet if you spend a few days watching them again when season starts and the wind is right, you may get a chance.

Hard with a group of bucks. Maybe you can isolate one of them.

Paul

04-Aug-14
Great looking deer, best of luck!

05-Aug-14
cool pics...how cool are Horny toads...mini Dinasaurs

06-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I found a picture of the narrow buck from last year.

06-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
The best pic I have of this one from last year is taken from a video still.

18-Aug-14
I am disappointed to report my scouting efforts were all for not. I was set-up to glass for the non-typical the evening before the hunt and some local punks drove a TRUCK down a hiking trail and then tried to drive up the mountain. They then hiked up blabbering away to the exact saddle he called home. They were back opening day as well.

Hopefully they will be rewarded with a citation. I took a pic of their license plate and my gps next to it. I doubt they'll care. They didn't care about the "no motorized vehicle" sign they ran over on the way in either.

Unfortunately that was the theme of the weekend here in Utah (land of the entitled UTV and quad queens). I moved to another spot and had Razors and quads busting through trees into the valley so they could more easily access the area I hiked into. I actually had a guy do it in my camp at the end of the road. He didn't make eye contact and busted through. Couldn't believe they all came back Sunday and even today. Must have been the great weather and the extra tags the DWR gave out. I've never seen pressure like this.

I got two good stalks done in before they blew every deer in the valley out. Unfortunately my stalks were done in by a doe busting me at literally the last half second on the first stalk and branch blocking my bow string on the other. Both were on deer I would have put on the wall.

This unit obviously holds great deer but I have to change it up next year and try a unit with less roads and it MUST be inaccessible to ATV's and UTV's and apparently piece of crap trucks.

Just so frustrated. The sense of entitlement is off the charts! That's my rant for today!

19-Aug-14
I lease some land (eastern US), I still have similar experiences with tresspassers. Guys cutting locks on gates, taking down the posted signs, driving the land on dirt bikes and atvs.

The only difference between what you have and I have is that you have some awesome photos and some awesome bucks. For the amount of scouting that I do and trail camera pics, I haven't seen 1 deer with the qualities you have in your pics.

Sorry to hear your hunt was a bust.

19-Aug-14
Great looking bucks. Great pictures as well. Are you digiscoping them? That is a bummer all your scouting has been put to waste because of lazy boneheads. Keep your chin up. It will happen for you. All that hard work has to pay off.

19-Aug-14
Get pics of those losers rig next time, preferably with some type of land reference in the photo so you can prove where they were.

At least the authorities would have some hard evidence to confront them with (if they would go to the trouble of doing so).

Hope you find a good, undisturbed area soon.

Best of Luck, Jeff

19-Aug-14
WOW, what a bunch of scumbags!

• Sitka Gear