SoDakSooner 05-Aug-14
Ermine 05-Aug-14
CK 05-Aug-14
APauls 05-Aug-14
rtkreaper 06-Aug-14
Mark Watkins 06-Aug-14
et 06-Aug-14
04-Aug-14
How will you be preparing these last few weeks? I'm leaving on the 28th. I had been lifting and running since last season until a couple of weeks ago when I started doing hill work while wearing a weighted pack and my hunting boots. I'm currently doing that for an hour at a time M, W, and F and going to the gym for some upper body work on Tuesday and Thursday. I'm thinking about upping the hill work to four days a week these last few weeks and possibly cutting out the lifting. I really only have the one hour or so in the morning to devote to conditioning if I am to have any time to shoot in the evenings. Just wondering what others are going to be doing.

John

04-Aug-14
I'd be doing more cardio work to help prep for the altitude. Do some sprints up those hills until you are on the verge of puking a couple times a week until you go or do the sprint/jog thing on a flat track like NvaGvUp recommends.

I do 800 meter sprints with 400 meter jogs in between. A warm up mile to start and a cool down mile at the end with three of those sprints in the middle. They really, really suck....especially when it's hot.

04-Aug-14
Don't push too hard in the last few weeks. Good Luck! C

04-Aug-14
Elliptical and stationary bike every night after work. I don't feel that weight training really helps you out in the mountains.

04-Aug-14
3 weeks until I leave. Won't be real high country, 5500-6000 feet, but that's higher than here at 700 feet :)

Marathon training for me, will try to run KC marathon in October. Have ran 127 miles in the last 5 weeks. Long run last Saturday was 12 miles.

Trying to push myself on the uphill stretches for cardio. Doing some telephone pole intervals during the weeks. Try to run at least 2 four mile-runs during the week at a killer anerobic pace (for me). Ran a 6 mile lung gasper last week that left me more debilitated than my 12 mile long run :)

Have lost 45 lbs. since March. Feeling pretty good.

Bake

04-Aug-14
Great job, Bake!

04-Aug-14
I just keep watching this video over and over... Ed F

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ACzuyD-v0eI

04-Aug-14

BOWUNTR's Link
Here's a better link... Ed F

04-Aug-14

BOWUNTR's Link
Ok... trying to do this from my phone. That was the trailer... here's the 10 minute video. Ed F

04-Aug-14
Dang Bake, 45 lbs? You must be skin n bones. Way to get it done. You can keep the marathon though; I'll stick to shorter runs at an uncomfortable pace.

At this point in the game I think your upper body lifting is kind of wasteful with the limited schedule. If you've been working the upper body all along, you should be in more than satisfactory shape in that arena. Concentrate on the lungs and legs. I think you would be happy with the decision to remove the upper body training altogether at this point (or maybe just throw in some short maintenance work). I like to ease off the throttle a little right before the trip, and usually there is plenty of other things that require your time by then.

04-Aug-14
Don't know Ed, kind of missing the 'mullet' days....

04-Aug-14
I think Midwest nailed it...you have to get to max heart rate in your workouts.

For sure you will be at max heart rate on your hunt...and high elevation...hustling to cut off a bull elk.

04-Aug-14
Run, run, run and run some more. Your legs will make or break your hunt. Do all the core work you can stand and you're good to go.

04-Aug-14
I've heard he was half the man he used to be..... =D

Bake, great job on the conditioning and the weight, congrats. On top of that I'd bet a good deal of that extra was replaced with muscle which is heavier. Lost more than that 45 in reality.

Agree cardio is key. In fact having bigger stronger muscles will burn more oxygen and energy. Have a tough time just running for cardio, the knees just won't take it. I can run on the beach and that helps a bunch. But you have to pick your times.... in the heat of the day when the scenery is better or in the evening when it's cooler but the bums come out....

Most of my workouts have been in the evening with the bike. Not cursing around but pedaling hard as I can on trails and such. Then you can use the bums as traffic cones in an obstacle course....

04-Aug-14
I'm going the cardio route.

With 10 Miles on a road bike, 6 x a week, hiking 120 stairs 4 x every other day with 30 lbs in the pack and mixing Bowflex programs and jogging in, I've dropped 17 lbs, down to 215.

In coming weeks I've got a few 10-20 mile hikes planned with a bowshoot in NJ.

Of course shooting every day .

The preperation feels great, keep at it everyone.

04-Aug-14
Congrats Bake! That's great work!!

04-Aug-14
We just load up the truck and go and do just fine after all it's only about 3k higher where we hunt than where we live!

04-Aug-14
Do some interval work, mixed in with some longer cardio sessions if you can.

For me, I'm in recovery mode. If you're leaving in three weeks, you aren't going to see drastic improvements between now and then. The worst thing you could do is try to ramp things up too much in a last ditch effort and injure yourself. Be smart about things.

Whatever your're doing is great. If you can add more variety to your workout, do it. Biking is a fantastic way to get a great cardio workout in without heavy impact to your legs. However, the impact workouts also have their place in that they dramatically strengthen your bones, tendons, and ligaments.

Lastly, don't overlook total body workouts for your cardio. I've been doing Insanity for over a year now. It's fantastic. I mix it in with my other stuff and don't follow the program to a "t". Rather, I do it two or three days a week depending on what I'm training for. The beauty of this is that it strengthens your core and gives you completely different ranges of motion than what you get simply running.

I did the route of just running one year. I had great cardio, and I also fought nagging little injuries all year. Now, I mix up Insanity, mountain biking, running, and backpacking. I'm a better runner, in better shape, and I have zero injuries.

Good luck all.

04-Aug-14
Dammit Ed, I don't need to see that shit again. It's hard enough counting down the last eight days.

Packing my food right now.....

04-Aug-14
Great vid, Ed. Loved it!

05-Aug-14
I'm in agreement with dropping to weightlifting at this point.

I'd load the pack with at least 10 lbs more that your max hunt pack weight, grab my poles and hit the nearest hill, hopefully a steep one. Try to do a 2K elevation gain in your one hour workout and do that everyday until a week before your departure. My local hill here in NJ is only 350 ft high, but it's steep, and if I do 6-8 reps (takes me a little longer than an hour though) I can get the desired elevation gains I'm looking for.

Then I'd do the same daily hike without the pack for the last week. You want to maintain at the end but reduce the risk of an injury. Any gains you may give up by backing off a little during that final week won't be noticeable.

The best practice is doing exactly what you'll be doing on your hunt, that is, humping a heavy pack up steep hills. And doing an awful lot if it.

How many guys are running around in the mountains without a pack while they are hunting in the high country?

05-Aug-14
Quick side note for those that don't think weight lifting helps you in the mountains. You are missing the point here. You are not going to get "huge" by lifting light weights/high reps or doing body weight exercises.

What you are going to get is functional strength (i.e. help you pack in uneven terrain) and injury prevention for your running and/or backpack workouts. If being injury free doesn't help you in the mountains, what will?

05-Aug-14
Don't forget to sand your feet!!!!

05-Aug-14
Don't forget to just get out and walk and walk long distances. On in even ground is preferred not the sidewalk. While running is good for cardio. It doesn't get you ready for mtn hunting. Train for what you'll be doing.

05-Aug-14
Cub, it's a TBM thread reference.

05-Aug-14
Congrats, Bake!

I'm currently extending my weighted pack hikes every other day, hiking with only a day-hunting pack on alternate days. 3 or 4 days a week this includes scouting.

I intend to start the season up around 10k feet, higher than I've ever hunted before, and work my way down through different zones to about 7000. Since this is a "learning season" for my new area, I'm less concerned with killing something and more focused on figuring out where critters go as the season progresses, relative to hunting pressure and likely September snow.

My real dilemma is where to start the season, since I've now located elk in different spots from 5k to 10.5k.

05-Aug-14
I swim 1000 yards 5 times a week, do Insanity year round and hike with the kids and my 4 year old lab.

Wish I could still run but after almost 40 years my hip won't allow that anymore. Funny, but elliptical and bike are no problem.

05-Aug-14
Weighted pack hikes/hill repeats Long distance running Some biking to mix it up.

05-Aug-14
Hiking a running are two different animals. In my experience I could run a lot and be in great "running" shape but hiking mtns could still kick my ass. On the otherside I could be in great "hiking" shape and be an animals at hiking in the mtns but suck at running.

With that said I do a little running and sprints for cardio. But I think hiking with weight is more important for being ready for hunting.

05-Aug-14
Scouting:)

05-Aug-14
Nice video link Ed!! Who's that dangerous looking guy with the stache?

06-Aug-14
Build up your legs for going DOWNHILL. Your thighs really take a beating and will really hurt after a day or so. Rory

06-Aug-14
Bake, congrats man! Committed with results....I love it!

Ed, that video was awesome....you guys making another one on this year's hunt?

Mark

06-Aug-14
I'm all for getting in the best shape one can prior to hunting season. Reading these threads one gets the impression one needs to be able to jump any hill in a single bound. Only once in 20+ years of elk hunting have I ever needed to run while hunting. (Elk spooked at my movement and took off. I ran with them for about 70 yards. When they stopped to look around I was able to shoot one.)

Yes, you need to be able to walk all day but usually one walks 1-2 hours in the dark and then you move real slowly into the elk. Slow stalking with lots of stopping to glass and keep an eye on the elk. If you can't get into them, you back off get a vantage point where you can keep an eye on them or travel routes, followed by a leisurely lunch. Lunch is then followed by an intermittent nap while keeping an eye on the bedded elk. Once the wind shifts a hike is in order to circle around to get the wind in favor. This can be strenuous but once again no running. Do what you can to minimize sweating. This is followed again by very slow movement and waiting for an opportunity to move in.

Sure, I have had ten, twelve mile days with lots of vertical but the miles have usually been broken up nicely. Packing an elk out is a whole different story but for hunting the ability to move slowly and quietly is paramount.

I would focus on becoming comfortable with hiking/climbing the steepest hills/mountains you can find. I just finished an 8 day solo trip through the Sawtooths. It was a good test for the body but more importantly it was good for the noggin, keeping the brain quite, focus on surroundings and being immersed in the environment. You can be in superman shape but if you can't control the self talk or are uncomfortable with your surroundings you are at a real disadvantage.

In a few years the threads will evolve from sheep shape to hunting meditation threads;)

et

• Sitka Gear