DL 24-Aug-14
jims 24-Aug-14
DL 25-Aug-14
DL 25-Aug-14
DL 25-Aug-14
The Old Sarge 25-Aug-14
At 27-Aug-14
24-Aug-14
I'm not a hardcore mulie hunter so those of you that are have probably made this observation many years ago; anyway, just wanted to say that every time I've come across a mountainside with a lot of mountain mahogany, the place seems to be loaded with mule deer. Just saying. And if I get bored with elk next month, I know a couple of places of this sort where I'll try to arrow a mulie.

24-Aug-14
Where I hunt you find a stand if them growing and you found elk beds.

24-Aug-14
It really depends on where you are talking about. I know a few spots on the Front Range in Colo that hold giant bucks year round with thick mahogany while other areas in Western Colo may not have many deer until they migrate to winter ranges with mahogany. Sounds like you found a spot where they hang out during hunting season so good luck!

25-Aug-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
This first spot I found this summer. Water and to the left mahoganies.

25-Aug-14
This picture the mahoganies are so thick you wouldn't think anything cod even get in there. wrong! Its a pretty big area of them.

25-Aug-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here is the picture

25-Aug-14
We hunted the mahogany patches in Owyhee County, Idaho pretty much exclusively back in the '50s and '60s. It's where I killed my first 5 deer.

27-Aug-14
If you can find a patch that has burned or mowed within the last 5 years...hunt it hard. Wildlife biologists call mountain mahogany one of the 'ice cream' food sources for deer. They love that stuff.

• Sitka Gear