Schism 04-Sep-14
DeerMount 04-Sep-14
AndyB 04-Sep-14
Grunt-N-Gobble 04-Sep-14
StrutNut 04-Sep-14
BigMo 04-Sep-14
arlone 05-Sep-14
02-Sep-14
I've hunted out of pop up blinds for years with great success, but I have always removed the mesh from the windows. I've always felt that anything between my arrow and that big buck would affect its flight negatively. Maybe the sun was hitting me just right yesterday but a doe had me nailed and I was frozen. She blew and all the deer took off. I know having the mesh up would increase my concealment, but shooting thru it concerns me. Do any of you have experience shooting thru the mesh on pop up blind windows? I've got an Ameristep and Barnett branded blinds. Also, shooting distance is from 10-40 yards.

02-Sep-14
I've shot a couple of deer through the mesh at 40 yards, with no ill affects on arrow flight.

02-Sep-14
you should shoot through it at a target - then you'll know. it's never been a problem for me, but you should test it on a target

02-Sep-14
Thanks Mac and JLS. The blinds are already set up in the field so I don't think I'll have the opportunity to practice.

02-Sep-14
Never had a problem, but most of mine have been at 25 yd. or less.

02-Sep-14
As long as you shooting fixed blade heads no affect! I've taken multiple animals shot thru mesh. Hope this helps. Styx

03-Sep-14
Don't do it until you practice it. I've had mixed results with the mesh

03-Sep-14
I had similar concerns last year when I started hunting from a pop-up, even after a few test shots through the mesh....sooo at the end of the season I shot about 30 arrows each from my two compounds and one of my shorter recurves, through the mesh, all at 20 yards, at a broadhead target. No problems whatsoever. Then I ordered a new mesh panel for the blind. I shot the old Muzzy 125 gr. 3-blades, Muzzy 100 gr. 3-blade Trocars, and from the recurve, 4-blade Zwickeys. The new mesh panel cost me about $20 but it was well worth it to resolve my concerns about the effect of the mesh on arrow flight.

I would be concerned about shooting mechanicals for fear the mesh would open them prematurely...but I'm content with shooting the Muzzys from my blind.

03-Sep-14
I've never had a problem shooting through the mesh with mech. Or fixed blades but if the sun is shining towards the mesh it's almost impossible to see the target through your peep.

One area I coues hunt requires the blind to face the afternoon sun and has cost me shots more than once. Something to think about is shade when you shoot through mesh.

04-Sep-14
Practice with your hunting setup if you can before shooting at a live animal. I shot at a 3D deer target with slick trick standards and blazer vanes and nearly missed the entire target at 20 yards. Come to find out that the small diameter broadheads didn't cut a large enough opening for the stiff blazers to pass thru with significant contact and subsequent change in arrow flight. Trimming the blazers down to a point they fit through the hole created by the broadhead solved my problem as did using feather fetching when hunting from a blind. I was able to make an accurate shot and quick kill on a whitetail later that season with my altered setup.

04-Sep-14
I have shot a few deer & a lot of turkeys thru the mesh. I shoot Magnus cut on contact broadheads and feathers or low profile vanes. I have had BAD arrow flight shooting Blazers thru the mesh as the high profile tends to hang up on the mesh.

04-Sep-14
I would expect problems shooting blazers. I stick with 4 or 5" feathers or 4 inch standard profile plastic vanes. I was initially worried that I would have to shoot feathers only, which would have been OK, but all of my practice-test shooting showed vanes flying just as well as feathers, at least at 20 yards.

04-Sep-14
I've shot a few deer with the mesh down outta my DB blind. No problems at all, but then I took a few practice shots first to make sure there wasn't an issue.

This was with fixed blade Slick Tricks.

04-Sep-14
I have shot broad heads through the mesh of my blinds for years. I dont even think of it anymore. I practiced a bunch just to get used to shooting out of the blind, not worried about the mesh. I use Fusion vanes as well. I have not shot mechanicals through the mesh but have seen it done. The longest shot I attempted was 40 yards on a turkey. No problems at all. When I have my kids in the blind, the mesh is up. I really am converting to more of a pop up blind hunter then tree stand hunter. It is just fun to be eye to eye with the game.

04-Sep-14
Thanks guys. I had not thought about how the vanes would be affected. I shoot Muzzy Phantom heads and Blazer vanes. The blades cut plenty of mesh for the vanes to clear. We have a cold front forecasted to move in this afternoon! My son and I will be in our blinds this evening hoping the cooler temps have the bucks moving before dark.

05-Sep-14
I've shot through both Double Bull and Barronett (sp) with no noticeable effects on the arrows. I shoot cedar with feathers and cut on contact 2 or 3 blade heads.

• Sitka Gear