Panhandle Bob 11-Sep-14
Nick Muche 11-Sep-14
Panhandle Bob 11-Sep-14
Panhandle Bob 11-Sep-14
mixed bag 23-Sep-14
TD 23-Sep-14
mixed bag 24-Sep-14
11-Sep-14
I leave Saturday night for Prince of Wales.I had a topic on here long time back.for anyone who's hunted deer this time of year,do you think I'd need a tent and sleeping bag to get up high early enough for the deer movement.In other words, should I campout on top or try and find a road or trail to get me up there?Would this be an all day hunt or is movement more confined to early mornings/evenings.Not sure how these deer act.I assume my best bet is to glass openings for them Any tips on how you'd hunt them this time of year would be appreciated.Trying to decide if I should pack a tent/sleeping bag for the trip.But, that would be an extra bag on the airline and don't want to have it if not necessary Thanks

11-Sep-14
I have had trouble with fogged in tops in September. It gets so thick you cannot figure out where you are going. I guess the fog/clouds are a problem during most of the year but I just remember a 10 day stretch a few years ago that only gave me one clear afternoon. I had a bear tag so I stayed low for that and fished some. In my opinion you will find the deer to be high on the mountains in open bald areas and they will be scarce down low. A lot of guys use a "deer whistle" you can buy locally to get deer to stand up and be seen. Not sure that whistle would be good for a bow hunter. Have a good map so you don't stray on to native controlled land. Personally I would take a tent and bag so I could camp if need be. Yea an extra bag may be 100$ extra each way but whats 200$ if it makes your trip a success? If you are hunting between Hollis and Klawock I may have a suggestion or two for you. Send me a PM.

11-Sep-14

Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo
I just returned from there...

Deer are up high and I would camp so that you can be ready to hunt when the clouds break or hunt all day if it's clear...otherwise you would be spending most of your hunting time hiking up...

Deer can be seen all day

Rain gear you can live in...it's wet, even when it's not raining :)

Corks for boots if you got them.

11-Sep-14
My limited experience is every day after Sept 1 the weather gets worse i.e. rain.

If youre going to hunt high, i'd bring a tent and gear. To be honest unless you live there and have trails cut to alpine, I don't know how you could navigate through that jungle in the dark making day trips.

Most people have no idea how thick and steep that place is.

11-Sep-14
"Most people have no idea how thick and steep that place is."

This!

11-Sep-14

Pictures don't do justice to how steep it is!

11-Sep-14
Panhandle has a new outlook on life !!!

What a great hunt.

11-Sep-14
Double post ... so I'll just say.

It was a pleasure to meet Panhandle and spend time with him.

There are day hunts and there are alpine spike camp hunts. Day hunts are tough and you need to know the area. Do not take a short cut. Go up and mark your route and come down the same way. Do not pull the trigger past 2 or 3 pm or it will be a long night.

11-Sep-14
It was a pleasure to meet you & the guys also...had the time of my life!

I would listen to muskeg...that's local knowledge right there & years of it!

11-Sep-14

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

We went up and came down different routes...once. It was a disaster coming back down. Ha

Nice place. Can't wait to go back someday in Aug for deer or bears in the spring.

11-Sep-14
Cool selfie Nick! A goat hunt for deer :)

11-Sep-14

Panhandle Bob's Link
Scott, here is your other thread from this Spring...

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread-print.cfm?threadid=429372&forum=7

23-Sep-14
That was one of the toughest hunts ever.We went to alpine 4x to find only a few doe after a 2+ mile hike straight up.I was by Thorne Bay and hunted around there a few days and again just doe.The Alpine I found was by Luck lake.It seemed like early season hunters had already pushed the bucks into timber.Pretty good trail heading to Alpine.Finally shot a dink by glassing clearcuts which is extremely tough.The cover is just so thick.I did see over 200 doe but only 2 very small bucks.One took the plane ride home with me.The meat is just out of this world good

23-Sep-14
How did the weather treat ya?

24-Sep-14
Weather was great first 3 days and turned to heavy rains the last 3.Weird as the deer seemed to move better with the rains and become more visible.At least when the fog/cloud cover didn't sock you in.Learned a lot about the deer there on this trip and do plan a return possibly next year ahead of a moose hunt.I really want to hunt them in alpine during August Thought I was going to meet my maker on the float plane ride out with pacific air.They shut down for the day after our flight as even the pilots were scared.Really neat place and can't wait to go back but willlook a little further north for my stay next time;coffman cove or red bay areas

• Sitka Gear