At 14-Sep-14
coelker 14-Sep-14
UTHUNTER39 14-Sep-14
tradi-doerr 14-Sep-14
Jaquomo 14-Sep-14
Bigred 14-Sep-14
UTHUNTER39 14-Sep-14
13-Sep-14
Alright so after a little over 3 weeks my utah archery mule deer hunt is over. I've decided that I would like to hunt more than 3 weeks a year with my bow. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some good units in colorado that have alot of public ground and a fair number of deer in them. im not looking for a unit with 30 inch bucks behind every tree and takes 10 years to draw. I just want somewhere where i can chase some muley bucks around!

I am from central utah and have never hunted colorado. it would probably be me my dad and little brother hunting. If someone could help me out i can give more info on what we are used to hunting in and anything like that. Thanks everyone and sorry in advance for all the questions i ask.

sincerely a 17 year old kid who loves to hunt!

14-Sep-14
All Colorado deer licenses are by draw only. If you didn't apply for one in April you're pretty much out of luck.

14-Sep-14
If you want to look for next year then there are a ton of options. Some can be had as a second choice others take years to draw. I would start by determine if you want a tag every year, every other year or every 5 years etc. Then once you have look at the draw odds and pp required list and pick a unit. There are a lot of units and a lot of tags available!

14-Sep-14
Thanks guys. I am just doing my research for next year. i would hope for a tag at least every other year. ive just heard from other people who have hunted colorado that there is a lot of private property, and i was just curious to what units have quite a bit of public ground. Thanks again guys!

14-Sep-14
East of I-25 is almost all private, West of I-25 is some of the largest tracks of public lands any where in USA. shouldn't be a problem picking a unit to start applying for.

14-Sep-14
Take a look at the CPW website under statistics, draw results, etc and you can find the success rates and difficulty of drawing for each unit. Then go to the Hunting Atlas and look at the private-public land ratios for the units you've narrowed down.

As said above, the units east of I 25 are usually easy to draw and have high success, but it's almost all private and the hunts can be really pricey. Look at western CO, close to Utah. Good luck!

14-Sep-14
Hey man try calling the wildlife center and see what left over tags they have available I hunted my mule deer that way last year. Something to check into

14-Sep-14
wow thanks everyone for all the help. i will be doing a lot of reserch and studying but you guys have made my job 100 times easier.

• Sitka Gear