mixed bag 01-Jan-15
Ambush 01-Jan-15
Swivelhead 01-Jan-15
Wildcountry 10-Feb-15
beaneater 10-Feb-15
brettpsu 11-Feb-15
COLO 3-D 11-Feb-15
28-Dec-14
I'm getting ready to purchase a spotting scope and having trouble deciding.I really like the compact lightweight fieldscopes offered by Vortex and Nikon.I'm just worried they won't be any stronger then the 10x42binos I use now.The specs on these scopes are 13x33x50 for the Vortex razor,and 11x30x50 for the Nikon.I was hoping Cabelas would have some in stock so I could see firsthand but they don't stock any, just full sized spotters. Hoping someone on here could help me out on my decision.I'd be using it for muley,antelope and elk mostly backback hunting.If the full sized spotters are a major difference in viewing then I'll go that route Thanks

28-Dec-14
I have a Vortex Nomad that I picked up really cheap a few years back. I planned to just use it in the truck on a window mount, then use my Swaro while backpacking. The Nomad is so light compared to my Swaro, obviously the Swaro is much better in every aspect but I have never had an issue with the Nomad in terms of being able to glass animals and judge them well, though 100% from the road. If you could find one for cheap, I'd look into it, could be a good option as well. Plus the warranty is pretty hard to beat. Good luck!

28-Dec-14
I have the Vortex Razor 50mm and love it. I also use 10 x 42 Swaro EL's. Yes It is worth having the scope, especially since you will now be carrying a tripod. You can get by with a much smaller tripod with these scopes vs the larger ones. I tend to be a very minimalist gear hunter, but I still carry my setup on most every hunt.

Try Camera Land or Sportsman Warehouse.

28-Dec-14
I have three spotting scopes, one being the Nikon. I spent the time and extra money to get the 15X45 eyepiece for it. Side by side against my buddy's Zies 15X45X65 there is a difference for sure. But we both agree the size and weight savings is significant and a worthwhile trade off in many situations.

I've spent quite a bit off time looking at goats and sheep through it and can honestly say that it is entirely adequate for most of my use and will be the only one in my pack for extended trips.

I also prefer the angled eye piece so that I can use a shorter/lighter tripod.

One of the big attributes for me is that the scope is small and light enough that I take it everywhere and now have a scope with me instead of just wishing I did.

The high end Vortex has a coarse and fine focus adjustment that is very user friendly. I've heard some poor reviews of the low and medium range Vortex scopes.

28-Dec-14
Great point on being able to use a smaller tripod, that sheds a good amount of weight!

28-Dec-14

29-Dec-14
Thanks for the replies.I'm going to buy one as I have a great price compared to what I see advertised.Now I need to decide Vortex or Nikon.I read a review between the 2 and Vortex won in every category.I like that I can buy different eye piece for the Nikon and have to check if Vortex offers that as well Thanks again

29-Dec-14
Compare warranties as well...

29-Dec-14
Yeah Nick,Vortex has the best warranty,butNikons isn't bad at 25 years and I think shipping costs

31-Dec-14
Mixed Bag, Leupold offers a 15-30X, 50mm Compact Scope. Not sure if you wear eyeglasses, but I do, so eye relief is an important factor for myself to get a full field of view. With some other makers, too little eye relief is a common problem . The scope has Multicoat 4 Lens Coating. I personally own the Leupold 10-20X, 40mm Compact Scope. On 10x I can hold it in my hand, but prefer my 8X42 binos. Tend to use this compact scope for target work on a tripod or when I don't want to pack my full sized scope. Regards and Happy New Year. Raptor

31-Dec-14
Oops, just checked Leupold Website, the lens Coating is now called Diamond coat. For what's it's worth, being a gold ring, it's made here. Not had to use their repair service in many years, but always been top notch. Regards, again

31-Dec-14
I got the Vortex this year and was disappointed in it. I found myself wanting more power and a wider field of view.

31-Dec-14
Like Ambush, I have three spotting scopes. I like the little Nikon ED50 with the 13-30 zoom. It came with a wide angle/fixed 27x eye piece too. The 27x is maybe very slightly clearer to my eye but I like the zoom better for locating animals. The scope is compact, light (a bit lighter than the vortex if I remember the specs and very clear.

My Swaro 20-60x65 gets more of the use but the little Nikon is a fine scope and saves about 50% on weight. I have a straight model Nikon ED50 bought used but would buy an angled eye piece if buying one new.

I have a 27 yr old Leupold 20x50 Gold Ring too (17 ounces). It is a decent scope and served me well, although I like the option to zoom up the power when conditions allow and the fixed 20 power of he old Leuopld is a bit limiting. It does have great eye relief. It is a notch below the Nikon in resolution to my eyes but sure helped judge critters for a lot of years. It is small like the Nikon and you do not mind carrying either it or the Nikon versus the 45 oz Swaro which is really noticeable in the day or backpack.

31-Dec-14
I've been waffling on this same subject because I'm also a minimalist in the back country.

Backstraps, have you fiddled around with any of the other eye pieces with your 50x Razor?

01-Jan-15
From what I understand, you can't get other eye piece for the Vortex field scope.I'm leaning toward Nikon for that reason.Plus at 45,I think a 25 year warranty is good enough A guy on another site posted digiscope pics from his Nikon with different eye pieces.I'm waiting on price for the extra eye piece before I make final decision,but the viewing seemed very good with it.Its also suppose to be very easy switch out in the field

01-Jan-15
If you watch E-bay diligently, the odd ED50 pops up with the 15X45 eyepiece. I ended up buying the angled scope with the 13X33 eye piece [show demo special from NYCL] and then buying the 15X45 eye piece separately. I hunt the mountains every year for goats and or sheep so the higher magnification is very useful and can save a ton of boot soles. Very sharp and clear until the heat waves start.

I think for any hunt that involves back backs and horn/antler assessment, the "little" scopes are worth their weight in gold. I believe Guy Eastman packs and recommends the Nikon ED50.

And I don't want to insult anyone's choices, but the Leopold's don't perform as well as the Nikon or top end Vortex. That's my opinion and that of a few guys I know that have or had them. YMMV

01-Jan-15
Eyepiece availability is a big plus for Nikon. Using a spotter extensively over the years, I've found I prefer fixed power EP's. Most manufacturers have quit making them. It's too bad, fixed EP's give a bigger FOV for a given magnification. Eye position is less critical too. At comparable magnification, variable EP's require precise eye position for a full FOV. Fixed EP's seem to be much more forgiving in this regard. Extended viewing is much less fatiguing with a fixed power EP IMO.

My point: Check out both scopes you are considering, pay attention to how critical your head/eye position is at comparable magnification. Being that the scope you choose will be on your back, you really don't want to pack extra EP's. I would choose the scope that is "easiest" to look through.

10-Feb-15
I have a Minox MD 50. It weighs 21 ounces and offers 15 to 30x.

Small scopes won't offer the range and brightness of the bigger scopes, but they do offer a lighter pack.

10-Feb-15
I use a 32 year old Bushnell Stalker 15x30. Don't think its been made in quite a while. It's been on multiple trips to AK, WY, MT, CO, NM, SD and lots of use in WI and never had any problems. Never saw any need to upgrade. I think that I paid less than a hundred bucks for it.

11-Feb-15
I think a lot of it depends on what and where your hunting. This fall I hiked 8 miles into the Bridger National Forrest in western Wyoming. I went in as light as possible and decided on my 15-30x50 instead of my Meopta 30-60x82. I was way underglassed with the 50. It would've cost me another 3lbs or so but it would've been worth it. However that little scope has been handy many times over the years and I would never part with it.

11-Feb-15
Of those mentioned above, I think the Minox is the best bang for the buck.

• Sitka Gear