Contributors to this thread:
Thumper-tx 08-Jan-15
otcWill 09-Jan-15
coelker 06-Feb-15
astrovan2487 06-Feb-15
badbull 06-Feb-15
pav 07-Feb-15
08-Jan-15
Looking for some input on which unit for a fall 2015 hunt. If anyone who knows these units has a recommendation, I would like to hear it. At my age [64] this will be one of my last CO deer hunts due to the high number of points needed.

09-Jan-15
Archery? 61 can be a tough as it is thick throughout the unit. 21 will be easier to glass, find a buck and make a stalk. If you can get good intel on either unit then go there. In CO information is invaluable. Good luck!

06-Feb-15
Thumper,

21 is down really bad!!! I am not sure how many points you have etc. But the deer numbers simply suck in Unit 21. There are still a few good bucks, but 21 would be low on my list of archery deer hunts. I spoke with the unit manager earlier this fall and he has been telling everyone that the numbers just suck and that was in regards to 3rd season hunts. There is a chance and there are some good areas to hunt, but it will be hard to find lots of deer and harder to find any quality.

If you do decide to hunt 21 let me know. I archery hunt elk in 22 and 21 and know both units really well. I can likely get you started on good place to camp areas to hunt, areas to avoid, etc.

Just let me know if I can help. It would not be a hard hunt in terms of physical demand, but may require a lot of time behind the glass and a lot of miles on the vehicles....

06-Feb-15
I would definitely not waste my time on unit 21. Deer numbers are very low. I bow hunted elk unit 21 and 30 in Sept 2013 and was very disappointed with the game situation. My husband had a hard to get muzzleloader tag for deer in the same unit and never got one, there were 4-5 guys after the same handful of bucks, all road hunting. We did run into a guy who had lucked out and gotten a decent mule deer with his bow while we were just getting into camp but he must've been the only one.

06-Feb-15
I completely agree with the other posts re: 21. It is not the same unit of years past in terms of quality or quantity. 21 would not be my first choice for the number of points required.

07-Feb-15
No experience in 21, but agree with otcWill on 61. Very difficult to find a good buck using glass. Plenty of deer to hunt, just difficult to find. Definitely not a high desert or high country style of hunt.

• Sitka Gear