jims 17-Jan-15
brunse 19-Jan-15
txhunter58 19-Jan-15
BOHNTR 20-Jan-15
Jahvada 21-Jan-15
crestedbutte 22-Jan-15
BG 23-Jan-15
16-Jan-15
I've been traveling out from TN for to archery hunt elk hunts for the last 10-12 years. I have always wanted to do a high country archery mule deer hunt. Here's my dilemma. I have 6 deer points in CO, so I could draw 76, 66, 54 or 55, but my hunting partner only has 2 points.

I really want to hunt mule deer this year and was leaning toward applying for applying for 54 because I like hunting the wilderness areas and we would be assured of drawing a tag. I'm getting alot of conflicting information concerning the Gunnison Basin area. From Colorado DOW perspective, they seem to think things are improving after the bad winters, but some of the comments that I have seen on the Bowsite and MM seem to paint a different picture.

I am not looking for a monster since this is my 1st attempt at hunting mule deer. I am looking for a hunt where I would have the opportunity to see quite a few deer and maybe having multiple stalking chances.

What are you guys thoughts on burning 6 points in order to hunt 54 in 2015? I could keep accumulating points but it would still be 2-4 years before my hunting partner would have enough points to draw some of the higher profile units like 76 or 66.

Are there any high country units that I might be able to draw as a 2nd choice and provide a decent opportunity type hunt, while not burning my points?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks. BG

16-Jan-15
I have elk hunted 54 the last 2 years. To me its not worth any points for an archery tag. Rifle it would be a different story. I have seen a few nice bucks in there but from what I hear of the past its nothing like it used to be. The area is rebounding but not there yet. You will see deer for sure just not a lot of really big bucks.

Hope this helps. If you need any further info let me know.

16-Jan-15
Full Draw,

You are correct in that you last year it was possible to draw that tag with 0 points. If I had 0, I would take the chance and try it.

I just hate to wait 2-4 years for my buddy to accumulate points that would get us a tag in some of the "better" units.

Thanks for the info.

17-Jan-15
Don't waste them on 54. It's not worth very many points to hunt it.

17-Jan-15
It sounds like you would like to hunt high alpine muleys? The scenery is pretty tough to beat but you will likely find out that muley densities in most alpine areas in Colo are fairly low...to super low. You'll have to do a lot of hiking and glassing to find the few pockets that hold bucks. It generally takes longer for muledeer to grow big antlers compared to a species like antelope.

The Gunnison Valley winter ranges historically offer some of the toughest conditions for muledeer in the state. In the late 80's there were quite a few mild winters in a row that allowed bucks to survive quite a few winters. The CPW cut tags in those units prior to the mild winters so the combination of things were just right for growing great bucks. If you look back in the B&C record books there weren't many B&C bucks harvested in the Gunnison area prior to that time. A lot of it had to do with being "general" OTC deer units..but severe winters also take their toll! It's hard to say if things will ever be as good as they were in the late 80's? One thing for sure there are great genetics in the Gunnison area. I'm sure there are some monster bucks on the winter grounds...as we speak! I'm sure you'll have a great time chasing bucks in gorgeous country if you decide to go!

19-Jan-15
If this would be your first high country mule deer hunt, then I suggest you pick a high country tag you can draw second choice. Have fun hunting and glassing, then kill any legal deer. Go back in the next year or so to burn your points.

Too many times I have seen people spend all their years of points while trying to learn the ropes in a week or two. High country mulies are tough. Those that kill a classy buck in the high country with archery equipment on a regular basis deserve accolades. Its tough!

19-Jan-15
What about unit 55? You could draw 55 for deer and he could draw an elk archery tag. Not sure how much alpine/timbeline country there is there though.

20-Jan-15
55 is a bit better than 54 right now in terms of high-country deer herd numbers. However, both have been extremely slow to recover from the 07/08 winter die off and would not be a choice of mine.

jims is spot on with his post.....even in the glory years, there was never A LOT of deer above timberline......beyond popular belief.

21-Jan-15
If it were me 76,66, 54, 55 in that order.

55 might have beat out 54 but your friend will not draw 55 with 2 points anymore so out of that bunch you could have a good hunt in 54. Or wait for a better unit like 76 as some straight hogs are coming out of 76 lately..

The sw units have not seen the winters of the gunny/eagle basins so they will not have seen as bad of winter kill and there are more big bucks here. I would also look at 74 as well.

22-Jan-15
Let me know if you hunt 55. I have a cabin in the northern part of that unit and have been hunting 55 for years (gun primarily). Some are right, population is on the rebound and fewer deer up in the high basins but the ones that are up there are the biggest anywhere! I would hunt 55 every year if I could draw a tag every year.

23-Jan-15
Thanks for the information guys, I am still weighing my options. I'm leaning toward building points and possibly drawing a 2nd choice tag. I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at units that could conceivably by drawn as a 2nd choice. I assume that the Drawing Summary Report is the easiest way to gather this information.

If I'm looking at it correctly, there are not a lot of high country type units where a NR can be assured to draw a 2nd choice tag. I have a couple possible areas in mind but need to do some more research. Obviously, these areas will make for a tough hunt based on previous success rates since they may be available for a 2nd choice. I hope to find out what makes the hunting so tough. Terrain, cover, pressure or just low deer densities, etc.

Thanks again for help. I will be checking back in as I continue this process.

• Sitka Gear