Mt Doozer 26-Jan-15
txhunter58 26-Jan-15
huntingbob 26-Jan-15
Fulldraw1972 26-Jan-15
Mt Doozer 27-Jan-15
Txnrog 28-Jan-15
WildSkies.com 28-Jan-15
18-Jan-15
Looking at maybe using my Colorado Mule Deer points in 2015. I have 15 points....looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance

18-Jan-15
https://hunterstrailhead.isecuresites.com/index.php?ID=1&XID=1:0:0:0:0

Ask a general question, and get a general answer, but the advice is good if you don't have a membership, it is worth it.

18-Jan-15
Bow hunt or rifle?

Not being a TBM, it just would change my answer on which hunt I'd apply for.

26-Jan-15
Thanks for the response.....Simple question (general..yes), what unit would you apply for (bow or gun) with 14 points?

26-Jan-15
Have you ever hunted Colorado before? Do you like early or late seasons? Can you hike 10 miles a day? It makes a difference what someone would suggest.

Unless you get more specific, you are better off just getting membership in hunterstrailhead and doing your own research. You just put in the state and how many points you have and it tells you what units you would have a chance to draw, trophy potential, success rates, etc.

As stated, your question sounds like you have spent 15 years not even thinking about it and you want someone to tell you where you should hunt to kill a big one. What are your ideas? If you ask specific questions, or ask about specific units, you are more likely to get a discussion started.

26-Jan-15
Good info I didn't know about. I keep notes on sites to look at and forget why I wrote them down. As far as the original Post if you look at the CPW website there is a place to look for free on the stats link..PP's required. Look that over and it will give you a place to start. Remember Ranching for wildlife tags are resident only. They will have a letter W in the in the 6th place in the hunt code. You wont see those hunt codes in the non-resident portion anyways. After you find a unit in your realm of PP's start research this and other forums on deer taken there. You can always look at Google earth and get a birds eye view of the terrain and make an educated decision from that. If you need help in understanding the hunt codes send me a pm. Bob

26-Jan-15
If your into rifle hunts your a point away from a 50/50 shot at 44 3rd season.

Last year 201 archery went for 15 points.

I am not much of a rifle guy. But a chance to hunt 44 later in the year would be a fun.

27-Jan-15
Thank you huntingbob and fulldraw for your posts.

28-Jan-15
Wouldn't overlook a late season tag and giving it a shot with a bow. Certainly a physically easier hunt if you can get a little weather and get them rutting. Would just pay attention to the total # of tags and what the elk tags look like in the unit with that approach.

28-Jan-15
Look at huntdata.com a Denver based company. He sells a software program about $50 that gives you free updates every year with the new points total needed (worth every penny and beats wasting your time navigating the CDPW site trying to figure it all out).

I think it sells at Bass Pro Shops too. Anyway, in one easy interface you can find out the stats on success rates for drawing and harvesting any species in any unit based on how many points you have etc.

If you ever decided to hunt in GMU 12, let me know. I have a sweet cabin there we rent to hunters.

Cheers, Lisa www.wildskies.com 970.926.0216

• Sitka Gear