Serrano 31-Jan-15
chasin bugles 01-Feb-15
Buglmin 02-Feb-15
Ermine 02-Feb-15
Redclub 03-Feb-15
Tater 01-Jun-15
Tater 02-Jun-15
20-Jan-15
Looking at burning my 6 points in unit 76 this year. If anyone has any experience ARCHERY hunting the unit I'd really like to hear from you!

21-Jan-15
You would be wasting 6 points. Not a good high country mule deer hunt.

21-Jan-15
I have to disagree as there have been several straight hog bucks I know of killed in 76 the past 2-3 years.

Get up high, burn some boot leather, and you will be happy with what you find in 76 as IMO it is becoming one of the best archery hunts for deer in Co.

The south west units have not seen the extreme winters that the eagle/gunnison area has and the deer especially large deer are doing better here than anywhere else in the state. Well other than the eastern plains...

21-Jan-15
I have been scouting 76 extensively in preparation to hunt both deer and elk in 2016. I would have drawn elk this year but have some friends that want to go otc elk so I'll scout one more season before I do 76. What I will tell you is that I've seen a mother load of deer in the unit. It is as pretty a place as I've ever been. I havn't seen any deer over 170 but I've seen a bunch in the 140-160 range. That'll do for me! This is my kind of unit. If you are in shape and enjoy a physically challenging hunt, this is for you. Good luck!

21-Jan-15
Thanks for the insight guys... How's the burn growing back? Thinking of hunting along the south edge of it. I'd really love a 180 class buck and am ready to hunt hard to find one. Ill be hunting wayyyy back. After consecutive years of sheep and goat hunting, I'm up for a hike...

ORRRRR I wait a few more years and draw in unit 61, but I've been getting some mixed reports there too.

21-Jan-15
I would not wait for 61. Not worth the points unless you have some private, or ag land down low. You can get the same quality bucks in 62 for way less points.

Also not a High Country hunt, lots of oak brush and aspens. Now if you just want to look at elk...

21-Jan-15
If I could hunt 61 elk with 6 points I'd be all over it! Usually chasin bulls is all I can think about this time of year. For whatever reason thoug its big velvet muley bucks this year!

21-Jan-15
I was in there hunting elk....and that doesn't always correspond to seeing a lot of deer. I think there are better u its for deer up near Meeker or down in the SW corner.

I saw some deer not many but would defer to someone like Will that has specifically scouted it.

21-Jan-15
I think you can find a 180" buck in most units. CO has good deer throughout, just harder to find them in some units compared to others.

31-Jan-15
Hunted 76 for elk last in 2014 and did not see a single mule deer. Then again I was six miles in at 12,000 not looking for deer. I saw elk, sheep and moose but no not a single deer.

31-Jan-15
Ditto wildwilderness regarding 61.

31-Jan-15
The deer in 76 can be hard to find. A lot of the good deer country was burned around here, and contrary to what people say, the biologist told us that in a lot of areas, where the fire bunt hot, it would be years before things started growing. Tracker covered a lot of 76 last year, seen a lot of the burn, and would be great help to you. The best bet to access 76 to look for deer would be above Silverton. We ride 76 a lot in the summer from above Pagosa, and going in fom above Williams Lake is a long, steep hike, but you might find deer in there, but you'll need to cover lots of country.

31-Jan-15
I know I wouldn't shoot a 160 in there until I messed up on the big ones! The western edge is where I would start!

31-Jan-15

Serrano's embedded Photo
Serrano's embedded Photo
Hunt High Sept 2013

31-Jan-15
Nobody was hunting this herd in unit 76. The deer hunters I told about another herd were too lazy to hike the mile and climb 300 feet to where the deer were. Ken

31-Jan-15
I would say the unit hadn't fully recovered from the winterkill of 2008, maybe this year. I saw more deer but not any monsters. Ken

01-Feb-15
Thanks for all the insight guys... One more question. For those of you that live in the area, how hot did that fire burn a few years back?

02-Feb-15
It burned very hot in areas, sterilizing the soil. Some of the areas look like the moon, nothing standing, just ash over a foot deep. It's sad to see the areas you enjoyed burnt like that. Some areas north of South Fork were better. It's strange, cause you'll find areas that the fire just went around, not burning one tree. There are videos on YouTube that a few fire fighters made that will leave you speechless. Like I stated early, contact Lyle, aka tracker, he covered a lot of 76. He will be a wealth of information.

02-Feb-15
I'm a firefighter and as bad as fires might seem they Really are good for wildlife. In the "hot" areas give it a few years and it will be producing some monster animals.

03-Feb-15
Its been a few years since I hunted in 76 but at the time there were very few deer,Lots of Elk but not deer

01-Jun-15
Me and my brother drew this tag this year. Pretty excited. Done low country spot an stalk hunts in eastern Montana and had a blast. Neither of us a very picky on gettin a giant but are just looking forward to a high country bivy hunt above tree line. Prepared to cover ground and get back in there. Any real time info or starting points would be greatly appreciated. Just starting our homework now. Thank you.

02-Jun-15
OTCwill, sounds like you spent some time in their, any suggestions on where the burned areas are or areas in which to start in 2015. Hoping to get a scouting trip in this summer.q again, just starting our research now.

• Sitka Gear