Junior 19-Feb-15
njbuck 19-Feb-15
Jaquomo 19-Feb-15
starbux 20-Feb-15
HANS1 22-Feb-15
Mauifire 26-Mar-15
Mule Power 26-Mar-15
25-Jan-15
I don't want to hijack BJ's post, but similar to him I have 7 points and may cash them in soon. I've began researching outfitters a bit and am not opposed to spending money for that option. I am not interested in shooting a small buck either. I'd rather chase big Whitetails than shoot a 130" mulie. If you had 7 NR points, what would you do if you wanted a decent chance at a trophy? Outfitter or not? Archery, muzzleloader, or rifle? Wait longer for some of the areas to recover? Btw, I'm almost 44 and in decent shape but time creeps up on us all. Thanks in advance...

25-Jan-15
If your a good shot at long distance an early season high country hunt would be good.I'm building points,and will use them for a 3rd or 4th rifle hunt.I'm only looking for a decent sized buck or I would have cashed in years ago.I'm a diy hunter but obviously a well managed private ranch will up your odds

25-Jan-15
Outfitter on private in eastern CO. Deer points are pretty much worthless if you're willing to go with an outfitter.

18-Feb-15
If a outfitter is a option, look at the PLO tags "private land only" and get on some private land for 3rd or 4th season. If you wait until next year the season dates will be more favorable for rut action.

18-Feb-15
Assuming you want to hunt the best time of the rut and see big bucks, definitely go with an outfitter on the CO plains, book a hunt that includes the Landowner Voucher, and you won't have to burn your points.

18-Feb-15
PM sent

19-Feb-15
If taking the outfitter route, wouldn't you be able to get the hunt cheaper by drawing the tag instead of using the landowner voucher?

19-Feb-15
Eastern Plains LOV. You might just punch your tag with a 150+ WT while hunting 160-180 mulies.

19-Feb-15
I am inn the same boat. Same points and same age..I am thinking a diy deal in a couple years.

I am hearing good things for marginal units, so a couple more years won't hurt me to wait.

19-Feb-15
Ill be chasing big mulies this November on the eastern plains, I cant wait!

19-Feb-15
Olink, yes, if you have a point or two. But some hunts include the LOV. With the generosity of the CO CPW with LOVs out there for outfitters, some get more vouchers than they have hunters booked.

Don't get me started on that, since those LOV tags come out of the regular hunter pool, driving up point creep for residents.

20-Feb-15
Thanks for the feedback gents. Thanks for the PM tradi-doer.

22-Feb-15
Definetly on the eastern plains not a good DIY option but crazy high end potential on better managed ranches I will be back this year again not sure how the points work there but I drew last year with no points .

26-Mar-15
I did an elk hunt in 2012 with an outfitter in Cortez colorado. They do private land lease hunts. Saw some good muleys but all in velvet during the archery elk season (I did not have a tag) They had other leases for big mule deer 180 to 200+, but were all during September velvet so I did not go back. Let me know if you need more info.

26-Mar-15
I'm with Mixedbag... early season high country. Either that or a late season rifle rut hunt for which your points will come in handy.

• Sitka Gear