pav 06-Feb-15
IdyllwildArcher 06-Feb-15
midwest 06-Feb-15
Rayzor 06-Feb-15
speedgoat 07-Feb-15
elkmo 07-Feb-15
HalfCurl 16-Feb-15
05-Feb-15
Its no secrete these 2 units seam to be right next to each other in popularity. Wondering if someone can compare them? Why choose one over the other? Are deer numbers and quality about equal? Terrain about the same since they are right next to each other? Success rates are about the same. Why is 66 a 5pt unit when 65 or 67 are 1 point units right next door? Same with 76, a 5pt unit surrounded by 0pt units.

05-Feb-15
Don't burn a lot of points on 66 or 76. Hunted both. Way overrated.

05-Feb-15
I dunno...I thought 76 was pretty good. Into screaming elk every stinkin day....hard to do that in many places- but you are talking deer. I think there are better units than those for deer....

05-Feb-15
Mule Deer took a hit from deep snow in both units, not sure if they recovered.

05-Feb-15
Seems several guys are really interested in hunting mule deer in 76 here lately. Personally, if you've got the time to cover a lot of country, you'll find some good bucks. But you'll need to cover some country. Most people that hunt 76 hunt it for elk, not many burn points to hunt 76.

06-Feb-15
I have killed bulls in both 66 and 76, prefer 76 due to more elk numbers, at least the last time I hunted there.I am with Beendare as there are better places to hunt deer.

06-Feb-15
Bottom line, you ask about any particular unit... you will get negativity. The underlying reason is the fact that Mule Deer numbers are declining and it's not what it was a decade or two ago. Now every hunt, regardless if it's still good, just won't measure up.

Decide on a weapon, time of year, and type of terrain you wish to hunt. Decide what a realistic goal is for the caliber buck you want, and you've already eliminated 2/3 of the choices for yourself. Doesn't take long to wade through the rest.

I've heard conflicting but promising reports on 76 through my research on CO Deer Units, but again you will get that with any particular unit not being "worth the points".

06-Feb-15
You hunt deer in the high country differently than you do elk. If you're looking for some big deer in either unit, you'll find some. Lots of glassing and patience though.

06-Feb-15
Its all big country. Be in shape and you will find some big ones in each unit. Hunted 66 for deer and 76 for elk. Killed a mid 170's in 66. It was tough to find a big 4x4, but seen some good 3x4s. Did see some bucks in a spot I didn't have the balls go after that had some big frames. My guess is most people that hunt 76 are "scouting" for elk and most of the guys in 66 are truly deer hunting.

06-Feb-15
We know several outfitters that hunt 76, and it's funny you rarely see hunters posing with the huge bucks they killed in 76. 76 is a huge rough place, and I'm not saying there ain't no big bucks in 76. I'm saying that you'll need to cover a lot of country in order to find a buck worth wasting your points on. Remember that 76 gets a lot of hikers and campers and fisherman every year. You'll see a lot of hikers and campers, and you'll need to cover areas to get away from them. A lot of them don't like people killing the deer....

06-Feb-15
When talking NR archery deer hunting in Colorado, a unit worth "wasting your points" has more than one meaning.

There simply are not many mule deer units which require more than 2-3 NR points. If you truly want a high country deer hunt, that short list becomes even smaller.

So, do you end up "wasting" your points on a unit that requires higher point totals to draw and may not meet expectations.

...or do you end up "wasting" your points on a unit that you could have drawn years earlier? (i.e. burning points you didn't need in the 1st place)

06-Feb-15
I think what happens in a lot of cases is, since we put a numerical point label on a unit, we expect the unit to return in kind, a certain numerical level of a hunt.

That just doesn't work out in most cases though, because the amount of points that a unit takes to hunt usually has more to do with how many tags are available and when the state started the point system.

Example: There are sheep units in CA that require 1/2 the points that are required in AZ, yet have far better trophy quality than their counterparts that require over 20 points. It has everything to do with when the points system started.

Couple that with the fact that there are so many people that apply in so many places and only want to hunt one of the top 5 units or the top 2 units in a state, and the point inflation between the 2nd or 3rd best unit in the state and the 7th or 8th best unit in the state can be exponential even though the odds of shooting a xxx inch animal could only be an infinitesimally small chance better.

This is why the net I cast with my 30 year application drag net includes some top units like the Henrys, but focuses more on units I can draw in 3 yrs or less so I can have more quality hunts in the long run and avoid the hoard of people who have too many points to "blow" on a "good" hunt, but not enough to have a shot at the famous top-end trophy unit.

I have 1 point in CO and I'll be hunting deer this year.

06-Feb-15
I would dump points on 76 because I want to hunt that country and the pressure would be light since the elk tags are so limited.

06-Feb-15
Its been several years since I was out but I saw a few good bucks in 66. Two were giants that I saw together several times over a week of scouting and a week of hunting. They seemed to know the private property lines pretty well and stayed where they were safe.

Saw a pile of 2 1/2 yr olds on the public ground. A few that were looking pretty good to me that were probably 3 1/2 yr olds. I was after elk but had to pull a couple stalks with the camera and took some decent pics.

07-Feb-15
This is why the net I cast with my 30 year application drag net includes some top units like the Henrys, but focuses more on units I can draw in 3 yrs or less so I can have more quality hunts in the long run and avoid the hoard of people who have too many points to "blow" on a "good" hunt, but not enough to have a shot at the famous top-end trophy unit.

I have 1 point in CO and I'll be hunting deer this year

EXACTLY

I have 0 points in Colorado and I will be hunting too. It may not be the best area, but I will be hunting. It's a guarantee that I can't kill a buck if I don't have a tag. It's also a near guarantee that I can't kill a monster buck in the best unit if I wait years and years to hunt and never practice my craft.

Good bucks are in many different units. The question is, are you willing to find them?

07-Feb-15
A theory might be with 76 requiring so many points some may get the deer tag as well just in case, but are focusing on elk.

16-Feb-15
66 and 65 are co-managed by CPW for deer and their main goal is big bucks of course. Units around Gunnison were historically known for book sized mule deer but when numbers began to decline back when they wanted to turn that around. I don't know what is happening with those numbers now but I do know 66 still has respectable deer. Can't speak to 76.

• Sitka Gear