HDE 06-Feb-15
MuleyFever 06-Feb-15
Riplip 06-Feb-15
Nolan McDonald 06-Feb-15
YZF-88 06-Feb-15
HDE 06-Feb-15
oldtimer 06-Feb-15
05-Feb-15
Looking at the Utah allocation for non resident tags, it's a long shot to say the least for most all the tags. Giving out 1-10 tags per year for certain limited entry hunts makes for very little optimism. Hey, at least you only have to buy the license every other year.... My wife and I having baby number 4 come June. Therefore I will put in for the Pausungaunt archery with 4 points knowing I won't draw so I don't have to go. But if I did.... :)

05-Feb-15
Put in for Henry Mtn rifle tag so it doesn't interfere with elk hunting. Does anyone know what my odds are? I do have a preference point from last year. I've heard it's a good unit.

Good luck everyone! Don't draw my tag!

05-Feb-15
You should be a lock NoWiser!

05-Feb-15
Well NoWiser as a non resident you at least have a chance at the one archery tag they give to NRs. It went to someone with 4pts last year. Someone with 5 pts drew the 2nd Pauns tag.

05-Feb-15
NoWiser- Between the Paun deer and the San Juan Elk hunting I'll be roasted for sure. I got 11 months to beg for forgiveness until next season. It's a vicious cycle.

05-Feb-15
What's the difference between the regular permit and the bonus permit listed on the Utah DNR 2014 big game bonus point draw results.

05-Feb-15
Still stuck in the 5 year wait that does nothing for odds.

05-Feb-15
At least Utah doesn't pick your pocket for a hunsky and a half to play long odds.

05-Feb-15
"What's the difference between the regular permit and the bonus permit listed on the Utah DNR 2014 big game bonus point draw results."

50% of the tags go to max point holders.

05-Feb-15
Max points are for pussies. Do they even hunt??? I'm all about the random.

05-Feb-15
Submitted my donations....I mean "applications" this morning. Really like that two years of applications on one license rule...especially since I'm donating....I mean "applying" for multiple species!

Last year on that five year waiting period for elk...finally!

05-Feb-15
William they get a bill out of you every other year..The dream of the Henry's is alive and well. But odds are you'll be frail and wrinkled by the time you draw. Now if I could just sell that Napa winery I'll buy a Governor tag :) .. Back to Vernon for me, after boy #4 and my Paunsugant 15' app.

05-Feb-15
San Juan Elk in the random draw would be nice:)

06-Feb-15
If you plan on going to the Western Expo in SLC later this month you can buy $5.00 tickets each on all Utah big game and turkey. There are available online but you have to be there in person to have them validated.

06-Feb-15
Yea, that being-there-in-person requirement sux.

06-Feb-15
Anyone volunteer to go to SLC and validate tiks for their Bowsite brothers :)

06-Feb-15
I'm pretty sure some kind of an ID is required along with the validation. It's just a matter of time before UT goes to statewide draws like most other states and do away with the governing point system they have for deer and elk.

The problem with UT's bonus point system for bull elk is they have firearm hunts smack in the middle of the rut causing them to severely reduce the number of tags available, otherwise it would be a slaughter on the big heard bulls. That being said, I wouldn't mind one of those hunts myself...

I wish I had my act together when I left UT 15 years ago and put in for points then. I could have any hunt I wanted by now, pretty much anyway.

06-Feb-15
Book Cliffs deer for me this year and San Juan elk. One can always dream cant they.

06-Feb-15
Fulldraw-ever look into the La Sal unit? Little easier to draw I think and not too shabby of a unit as far as hunting quality goes.

06-Feb-15
I'll finally be in the lower end of the bonus point pool for Book Cliffs deer.

Really looking forward to an excuse to see that part of the country and getting out of the points chase. It just flat out seems like a futile effort for LE tags here in Utah. Buying deer points is simply a tax for anybody that didn't do well in math (myself included).

06-Feb-15
HDE, its interesting you mentioned that unit. I guess it never crossed my mind. I figured go big or stay home. However I did hunt that unit in 2013 for general deer. I had a really fun hunt. I ended up shooting my buck right in camp on the last day. I did see a couple of dandy bulls while I was glassing a couple of different days. I just might switch up and give it a shot. I really enjoyed that unit and the town of Moab.

06-Feb-15
" It's just a matter of time before UT goes to statewide draws like most other states and do away with the governing point system they have for deer and elk. "

What do you mean by this?

06-Feb-15
MuleyFever,

He is most likely refering to the "study" that is being done this year that is looking into that option. I thought they were specifically going to look into deer only though. Down the road it would most likely end up being a system similar to Colorado...I think.

06-Feb-15
Yep, that's what I mean by that. Although there are plenty of hunting opportunities in UT, the quality is compromised from of the strict point system and limited draw opportunites because of that. At some point and time there will be far too many hunters in the woods with fewer or more pressured animals reducing harvest rates. Going to statewide draws similar to other western states could circumvent this. Eventually the sqweeky wheel will get the grease.

06-Feb-15
I must be off in left field on this one. I don't know what you mean by statewide draws like most other states.

06-Feb-15
Meaning no general tag. All units LE.

06-Feb-15
But all tags are already on a draw by unit so what would change? Reduce tag numbers? create more units?

06-Feb-15
Yes, but all hunts are more like the general season draw-increase permit numbers and change the season dates.

Example: San Juan unit to have 75 archery ES through most of Sept and muzzleloader and rifle similar but in Oct. This is what I mean by following other western states.

yes, I see what you're getting at, UT already has a lottery system type draw, but it is weighted by bonus points but with limited permits, with firearm hunts during key peak times to increase quality. Quality is beginning to lose its zeal with the decrease in harvest opportunity. I know some people prefer quality even if it means only getting one chance to hunt every 7 years or so, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that this number is relativly small compared to the hunting population in general.

06-Feb-15
I see what your saying.

06-Feb-15
By the way anyone know of anyone who has won a LE tag at the expo? Can you buy more than one ticket @$5. I am assuming the odds are pretty low.

06-Feb-15
Riplip, My brothers have been drawn 4 times. 1st Ben drew a 2007 wasatch muzzy elk. 2nd Andy drew a 2009 paunsaugunt archery deer. 3rd Calvin drew a 2009 bookcliffs archery deer. 4th Kelly drew a 2013 any weapon plateau, boulder/kaiparowits elk. Luck seems to hit on odd years. Hope its my turn this year. You can only apply once for each hunt. Odds are extremely low. My bros are lucky.

06-Feb-15
Wow.Lucky brothers. Many of my coworkers drop $200 every year and none have drawn. My budget is $15.

06-Feb-15
Woohoo! So there's a chance I might get Wasatch moose, Zion DBH, and/or or Nine Mile BH. :)

NOT! But it's fun trying anyway.

06-Feb-15
I went for the moon, bought chances for everything except turkey and lion $ 350.00 plus a non resident hunting license. SLC here I come

• Sitka Gear