Father/Son Hunt help
Mule Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Drop Tine 08-Feb-15
huntingbob 08-Feb-15
elkmo 09-Feb-15
Drop Tine 10-Feb-15
08-Feb-15
Trying to put a father/son type hunt together for us. looking for over the counter archery tags and access to public land or reasonable trespass fee. We're both experienced whitetail hunters but not hunting out west. Did do guided hunts in WY. back in 90 and 91.

This would be a first time hunt like this for both of us so looking more for quantity over quality at this point for stalk and shot opportunities. Mule deer and or Antelope would be what we are looking for. A serious/fun hunt type hunt. Would look at whitetails also but I can hunt them out my back door so was looking at the planes game of Mulies and Antelope.

We would prefer to stay out of the mountains and wilderness back county type hunts. I did a search here and didn't really find what I was looking for. Also on the web and its very overwhelming!

Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, and Montana are all reasonable driving distances for a 5/6 day hunt. Would appreciate any tips and or info from you guys that do this all the time.

Thanks for any help and feel free to PM if you don't want to share info out in General. Willing to trade anything info related to WI. hunting in return if anyone is thinking of headed here for a hunt.

08-Feb-15
Wyoming Pronghorn would be your best bet. Lots of Public land and easy access. Bob.

09-Feb-15
Just a heads up on the antelope in WY. The NE units took a hit in winter 10/11 and the following years droughts resulted in low fawn recruitment. The tags #'s are WAY down, SE MT is in the same boat.

Leftover tags in units with lots of private land will be available, so your trespass fee approach should work for you. Look at past years available tags per unit and dropping numbers may indicate a struggling herd.

10-Feb-15
On the Wy. Game and fish map when you pick a unit it highlights a block of units. Are those all huntible with the tag? Can anyone tell me what hunting is like in the S. East part of WY. Is like? The unit I'm looking at I think I can draw with no points as a second choice but looking at past success rates I couldn't find any archery kill's. So I'm not sure I'm looking at the right unit.

Looking at doing Antilope only now to get our feet wet at western hunting.

I really appreciate the help!

• Sitka Gear