Drnaln 13-Feb-15
HuntEasy 13-Feb-15
Drnaln 13-Feb-15
HuntEasy 13-Feb-15
Drnaln 13-Feb-15
HuntEasy 13-Feb-15
Drnaln 13-Feb-15
11-Feb-15
I got 6 non resident point for deer in Nevada. I don't have any hunts scheduled this fall. I would almost hire a guide if I thought it would help. Any thoughts? There are 2 of us.

11-Feb-15
correction, I'll be the only one hunting

11-Feb-15
P.M. sent

11-Feb-15
Velvet mulie, My brother is into the guided deer draw as well for 2015. Rifle hunt in October would work for him. Any ideas? He has 1 point.

11-Feb-15
I have 10 points and never draw in the guided or unguided

11-Feb-15
Can't apply for archery hunts in the Nevada Guide Draw! David

12-Feb-15
No archery hunts in the guided draw???!!

12-Feb-15
that is crazy, why no archery in guided draw in NV? dead deer is a dead deer?

12-Feb-15
I don't believe you can apply for an archery deer hunt in the guide draw! Might have changed? David

12-Feb-15
Looks like the Guide Draw Quota comes out of the "Any Legal Weapon" hunts which last year was 389 tags. You could hunt with a bow but it would be during the rifle seasons. No archery only or muzzleloader only hunts were eligible for applying in the Guide Draw! David

12-Feb-15
What is their reason behind not splitting some tags between archery, muzzle and rifle?? Bow hunters like myself should speak up to the NDOW...

12-Feb-15
Don't know the reason but I think it's always been that way? Page 45 of last years regulations have a list of the 389 tags that were available in 2014! David

12-Feb-15
I picked up the phone and spoke to licensing at NDOW in Reno. The lady told me to email my concern. If my fellow bow hunters think Nevada should change the guide draw to include archery and muzzle tags, speak up!... Here is the email below. The contact at NDOW didnt know why there was no tags for archery hunters and would make sure all emails were circulated and reviewed.... [email protected]

"Dear NDOW, I am a non resident bow hunter that has been putting in for Nevada for the last 4 years. I was considering putting in for the guide draw this year, until I realized, there are ZERO archery tags available. I found that a little odd and I’ve been dwelling on the question all day, “why?”, until I decided to pick up the phone and talk to someone at the office. That call brought me to this email. I hope you can shed some light on the topic for me.

I’m sure there are many like myself, that enjoy the challenge of bow hunting mule deer and it doesn’t get much better than early season velvet muleys, especially in Nevada. Why are their tags for rifle only in the guide draw (or any legal weapon)? It seems to me that bow hunters and muzzleloaders hunters should be granted the same or at least some, opportunities, as the rifle hunters?

One thing I’ve learned about bow hunters, is they are very committed and passionate about hunting. There is an obvious void in your draw process buy not giving a percentage of total tags to archery and muzzleloader hunters. I think the department should admire the challenge and skill bow hunters bring to the sport and give them some allocation of guide tags. Bow hunters are good for Nevada and they’re good for the longevity of the industry. There are a lot of us bow hunters and muzzleloaders that feel the same way as I do.

Without a doubt there will plenty of demand for the archery and muzzleloaders tags in the guide draw. Please consider implementing archery and muzzleloader tags in the guide draw.

I look forward to hearing from you…

Tony"

12-Feb-15
For me I would rather not see the "Guide Draw" get any archery tags because it would mean less tags for the un-guided archery hunter to apply for! If you want to hunt archery seasons, apply for an archery tag & go enjoy your self! David

12-Feb-15
That's an uneducated response. I see your point, but how do you know it will take away from archery tags? They have allocated a certain amount of tags for the guide draw for any weapon. Any weapon tags mean more dead deer than archery tags therefore it wouldn't impact the heard at all to take some of the guided any weapon tags and put them in the muzzle or archery pool. It may open up more archery tags for all.

12-Feb-15
Not uneducated at all! The "Guide Tags" come out of the Non-Resident "Any Weapon Tag" Quota now! It says that right in law! Only so many tags issued by Nevada & the archery tags would have to come from somewhere! Last year Nevada had 343 archery tags in the 1rst draw for Non-Residents! The guide draw gets 16% of the N.R. Any Weapon tags now! If they follow the same criteria, 16% would come away from those 343 tags! David

12-Feb-15
Keep the NR quota in the any weapon draw. If you want to hunt archery with a guide draw the tag and hire a guide. Don't know why people hiring a guide should be allocated tags.

12-Feb-15
Nevada is a great state for archery deer! You can get a tag every year in some units & in other units the time between tags is fairly short! A guy on this thread said he had 10 points in the "Guide Draw" & still couldn't get a tag so that probably means he is applying for a "High Demand" rifle hunt! 231 is a TOUGH tag to get! Nevada is great place to camp out & hunt mule deer DIY! The system doesn't need change to give the Outfitters more control! David

13-Feb-15
MuleyFever x2 "Guide Welfare" is ridiculous, I don't like this trend at all. Next thing will be all non-residents must hunt with an outfitter to "protect" us!

13-Feb-15
The NV guide draw has been in play for years. If you think they should do away with the guide draw, let NDOW know. Belly achin' on here aint going to do much. I'm not a fan of the guide draw in general. I think what they did in NM with allocating more tags to the guide draw and very few to NR in the regular draw is crap. All I am saying is the current system, which includes a guide draw, doesnt give any tags to the archery and muzzleloader hunters. I would be in favor of taking some of these exisiting tags currently in the guide draw as any legal weapon and allocating some to archery and muzzleloader seasons. I am not in favor of taking more tags out of the regular draw and putting them in the guide draw.

13-Feb-15
HuntEasy, Do you think the guides would give up some of their "Any weapon" welfare tags for a shot at archery or muzzleloader tags! NO, but they would be happy to steal a few more tags away from the regular draw! In 2014 the guide draw had 19 hunts with only 1 tag & another 8 hunts with only 2 tags! Tough to divide those up 3 ways! I know this might sound "Uneducated" but have you thought about applying in the archery draw & then finding a guide that hunts the unit you drew? Or, better yet, talk to a few Outfitters & when you find someone you like apply in units that he thinks would give you a good hunt? Having the regular draw tag lets you hunt without a guide if that's the route you decide on! I live as far North West as you can get in California & if I leave early morning, I'm looking at Nevada bucks the same evening! David/ Uneducated

13-Feb-15
Guide draw tag numbers:

Unit 6E - 57 tags Unit 7E - 50 tags Unit 11E - 17 tags Unit 13 - 9 tags Unit 14 - 17 tags Unit 15E - 12 tags

Even unit 231 has 7 tags. Any legal weapon tags have twice the kill rate as archery tags (I would imagine - and i'm sure there's research on this). If they take one away from the any legal weapon, they can likely give out two archery tags and end up with the same loss of deer (or less).... The top units are going to have low tag numbers, that's a given and if there's only 1-2 tags, leave them in the rifle, but I listed plenty of "GOOD" units that, in my opinion, can cough up a few tags for the archery and muzzle hunters...

David, it's all about success to draw. The draw odds in the guided are in most cases, WAY better than the regular draw. It's up to the hunter whether he wants to go guided or not and increasing the draw odds to get a tag, is many times a factor in the decision.... BTW have you looked at the price of a voucher, many times those are 5-10k. Hiring an oufitter at 4k and getting better odds in the guide draw, is a strategy for guys who want to hunt Nevada every year or every couple years. OR, you can just wait on the sidelines and one day hope to get tag.

I would prefer DIY unguided, but if you dont have weeks to scout a new area (like many guys) and want to maximize your success for the one week you have in the area, I can't argue with hiring someone who knows the area and can scout.

My personal preference is to have the guide draw go away and put more tags in the general. But it's about money and supporting the state you are hunting in, and I see why many states do it...

13-Feb-15
HuntEasy, What's the Archery draw odds in those units you listed? Apples to Apples! Good luck & hope you arrow a monster! David

13-Feb-15
Good odds for regular archery draw? Hahaha maybe for rubies and arc dome! Look at the first unit I listed 6.

ARCHERY DRAW 69 apps 23 tags. The 69 apps only include first choice app's and successful apps. We all know many people dont put in for unit 6 as their first choice :). You'll be lucky to draw it in the first 5 years, but there's always an exception.

GUIDE DRAW 57 APPS 57 TAGS, for RIFLE! Everyone knows there's a lot more demand in general for rifle tags.

Apples....

13-Feb-15
HuntEasy, Don't know what units you apply for & sounds like you must have a few points because of your "Time on the Sidelines" but some archery hunts can be drawn every couple years, unless a guy is really unlucky or is being greedy on his Hunt choices! If some of the prime archery hunts end up in the Guide Draw those odds will shoot up for sure! I'm just hoping my buddy draws this year so I can go glass for him! David

13-Feb-15
Nah man, no points here. I love to get out there and been picking up the leftover archery for a couple years now. Can't believe they purge your purge your points for the leftovers but that's whole other discussion.

13-Feb-15
HuntEasy, Nice exchanging ideas with you! I had a friend that hunted the Rubies a couple times with Walt Gardner & he did really well! Easy tag to get. I see you hail from California & if you ever get to Crescent City look me up. Wife always has the spare room ready & we have a beverage of your choice on hand! David

13-Feb-15
Thanks for the hospitality and I enjoyed the different angles Crescent city??! That marble mountain territory. Been in there once. Didn't get far enough back there but outstanding country... Would hunt it again. If your down this way, Ukiah, holler and I'll load you up on some wine we make from our farm.... This nice weather has me thinking too much about deer season. Good thing turkey is coming up!

13-Feb-15
My sister use to live there! Her husband was a Safeway manager in Willets! We have a couple fish boats on the ocean a lot of the year so Seafood for Wine! To answer your original question about a Guide for your brother, Cary Jellison of G & J Outdoors takes some nice critters! David

• Sitka Gear