Keef 14-Feb-15
Nick Muche 14-Feb-15
muskeg 14-Feb-15
cityhunter 15-Feb-15
muskeg 15-Feb-15
Blacktail Bob 16-Feb-15
Keef 17-Feb-15
14-Feb-15
I'm planning a trip to Alaska to visit a friend and would like to hunt Sitkas while I'm there. We will be near Ketchikan and may hunt POW.

Are archery tags over the counter or do you have to draw? I couldn't find a definitive answer on the internet. It appears they are over the counter.

Also, we would be there the first week of the season (early August). I know later is better but the late season is not feasible. Is opening week like in the lower 48 and lots of hunters in the field. I could go the second or third week if that's better.

Thanks for any feedback.

14-Feb-15
Tags are OTC.

I'd prefer to hunt the early season on POW. At least you will know where the deer are most likely to be...up high.

Best of luck!

14-Feb-15
Check the Federal regs. The central and northern part of the Island opens Aug 16th for non-Island residents.

15-Feb-15
Johnnie NR on POW is anybody who doesn't live on POW correct ? Up hi very hi

15-Feb-15

muskeg 's Link
POW residents and some surrounding 'rural' qualified by Fed Law are allowed to hunt in most of Unit #2 starting July 24th and can take 5 Deer, one can be a Doe.

Everyone else can hunt starting August 16th and take 4 bucks.

This is Fed law on Federal lands which most of the Island is the Tongass National Forest.

State of Alaska says season opens August 1st with a 4 buck harvest (no Doe harvest).

Pick what Law you want to follow. Most hunters choose the Federal law.

16-Feb-15
Keef,

If you'll be there in mid to late November get in touch with me.

Bob

17-Feb-15
Bob thanks for the offer, have to do the hunt early so November won't work.

• Sitka Gear