shooter 03-May-15
HuntEasy 03-May-15
HuntEasy 03-May-15
Buglmin 03-May-15
shooter 03-May-15
mikey1971 04-May-15
HuntEasy 04-May-15
02-May-15
Hello.. I got luckey to draw the january 2 b archery tag... cant decide whether to go dyi type hunt or go with a outfitter. . As I wont be able to scout before the season opens.. so was wondering if anyone had any experience with this unit during the January hunt. Or any advice on the outfitters in the area. I appreciate it. Thanks mike

02-May-15
You're going to get al kinds of advice on this one...a lot of guys will tell you just how good the unit is and how big and how many big bucks you'll see everyday... Over the past few years, I've read it all. I've offered my advice on this unit, been hunting it since 1986 when tags were otc. Truth be told, just like I've told several guys before, and they soon realize, it's a tough hunt, and you don't pass on a 140" buck. You need time, lots of time, to find a good decent buck. And be sure you can shot at long range, cause you won't be getting 40 yard shots... As for diy or an outfitter, that's a tough call, cause I know a few good outfitters out there, but be expected to pay over $4000.00 to hunt with them. You'll get a few offers from guys saying they will take you and they can get you behind locked gates. Last year, Tony from Calif had the same offers, got phone calls of 200" bucks this guy from Bloomfield was seeing, but after days of looking for this buck, all they could turn up was 140" bucks...

As for private ranches, only two are really worth paying to get on, the Smith and and the Gomez ranch, but you won't get on these ranches. The Espinosa ranch controls access to a lot f BLM out there, and if guys tell you they hunted the BLM last year or the year before, it's cause they were driving around the locked gates. We found that out when we were out there chasin' lions last year. We'll change all of that this year...

Hopefully, the Tony and a few others will get on here soon, and they will tell you their experiences out there from the past few years. Outfitters and guides will tell you just what you want to hear. Don't expect too much out there, and you gotta be prepared for that area. You're a long ways from nowhere out there, with rough roads that get worse with rain and snow. If I can help you, I will. I will give you areas to look into, give you the advice I can, and I will tell you straight up, you should of looked into other units or else gone to Az...

02-May-15
What he said ^. Mike

02-May-15
Thanks for all the info.. yea alot of mixed info from the internet and guides. but ill just have to stay possitive and hope for snow. Ive talked to san juan river and wildoutpro outfitters. Seem like legit people..But still checking into all the options.

02-May-15
u drew the tag about 6 yrs to late,

02-May-15
2B get's discussed about twice a year on Bowsite alone. I've never hunted it, but from reading a dozen threads on it over the past few years, it seems that they need to cut tags some to help the age class of the bucks.

Additionally, everyone says that those that cover the miles, get the deer.

03-May-15
I drew that tag about ten years ago, hunted the southern part of the unit. Was told that the northern end had more deer and that's where most folks hunted. It was tough, I drew with a friend of mine who has hunted a lot of the north american 28, has a mountain goat and 3 of the 4 sheep and that unit 2b New Mexico hunt was still one of the toughest he has been on. If memory serves me, we averaged about 19 miles a day, on foot. We saw some big deer, including one that we both felt would push 200" but never pulled the string on one. We both felt that shooting ANY legal deer in that country would be an accomplishment in itself. We probably saw one buck over 150 every day, over our 7 days, average. Tough hunt, in my mind, there are much better places to kill a big mule deer.

03-May-15
In my opinion, it's a good use of your time in January, except going to AZ may be an even better use. How many other places can you hunt Mule deer in Jan when most everyone else is at home thinking about it... Mike, we spoke yesterday, I gave you my thoughts.... Very few were successful driving around shooting from the truck... Get up high and glass, then make a move on them once they bed. You will see a lot of bucks. If there is snow on the ground you will have a near impossible time of sneaking within 60 yards... If there is no snow on the ground, I would head south of the hwy and hunt the "more" resident type bucks. We turned up 3 good ones down... With help of Dave Montonya of Drop Tine Outfitters. If you go guided, he is the only choice, in my opinion. When I spoke to him he was out scouting for a client and had located some good bucks.

03-May-15
If I had the tag over again, I would block out the entire season to hunt (work permitting). We hunted 7-8 days and that was not enough time...

03-May-15
Lol... Hard to glass big bucks when thy move ino the junipers to glass. Last year, ths same information was given to a couple of guys, and once down there, they found just how difficult it was to "get up high". All deer go to the sage flats, and you gotta hunt the edge of the sage flats, glassing fr bucks and you gotta intercept them. If you find a place that the deer are using on a regular basis, hang a tree stand. You'd be surprised how that works.

You won't have an easy hunt, and if guys promise you shots at huge bucks, be leary. You miss the rut by over a month, and the big bucks will usually be by themselves. You'll see hundreds of does, no matter where you hunt. South of the highway, Gas Buggy and that area, is very close to unit 2c. Learn the boundaries, or you cold end up in trouble...

Resident deer? Top of Cracus Mesa, or towards the lake. Middle Mountain holds resident deer, but finding them is tough. San Brito Creek on the lake holds lots of deer, but you need to deal with private property as well. We'll be there for the black powder season, trying to catch the deer as they feed along the lake.

03-May-15
I agree with Buglmin, hunt the edge of a sage flat where you have seen them. We spent too much time chasing them, most of the big buck we saw where working does or cruising, found very few bedded deer to stalk and when you did, it was usually a group of them out in the sage.

04-May-15
Thanks.. hunt easy. For your advice and opinions. I got that map on order.. so ill be giving you a call soon... thanks mike

04-May-15
Bugle - sorry, yes, get up and glass the sage flats... Maybe an evening ambush if you bed them in the morning... We seen bucks with does and we seen bucks without... For the most part, it seemed like the rut was well over, except for a buck or two.

• Sitka Gear