Mule Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Tracker 20-May-15
Treeline 20-May-15
gobbler 20-May-15
Tracker 20-May-15
Treeline 21-May-15
20-May-15
Looking to get into the deer draw in WY. I have max NR deer points and looking for the best place for a chance at a 180 deer. Low draw percentage is ok as I am not set on hunting mule deer unless I can draw a premium tag. Was thinking 101 or 102.

20-May-15
Those are good units, but not as good as they used to be. I drew 101 a few years ago and got a very nice 185" buck.

I think Region G or H are better for top end bucks right now. If I knew I would have the time, I would focus there - even with max points. Either one of those tags would be really good to bow hunt and follow up with the rifle on opening day if you couldn't get it done with the bow. I have a Commissioner's tag in WY this year and will be using all my time looking for a big bull elk.

20-May-15
I would wait until WY comes to their senses and start managing their deer herd better or at least wait till they get out of their drought. If I had to go now I would pick G, but you would be burning a lot of points.

Good luck!

20-May-15
That's the problem I actually have to many points.

21-May-15
Too many points? Not possible.

If you have all of the points available for a species and state, you then have enough to draw your choice in most cases. If you want to go hunting - put in for the best option you can be assured of.

I am not sure that 101 or 102 would be assured with max points, but you would have a good chance.

If you really want to go hunting, you would have a 100% chance at getting a deer tag in G or H. Both very good areas and you would have 2 weeks to bowhunt before the rifle hunt and more people show up. It is possible to find 180+ deer in areas not too far in, but gets better when you get some miles between you and the road. You might be able to work a deal with an outfitter to take you in and or back out while they are setting up camps or go fully guided if you don't have the time to learn the country very well.

• Sitka Gear